Heineken introduces Strongbow apple cider from the UK

webfact

On 11/9/2017 at 7:05 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

All I know is, any/every time I go to buy apples in the stores, they seem to be imported -- depending on the variety -- from China, New Zealand, USA, France, etc.

If they're importing UK fresh apples to brew the cider here, that would seem to mean A LOT of apples, unless of course, they're fiddling/adulterating with the recipe. Or perhaps they're importing some kind of apple juice distillate, like what occurs with the South African grapes used to make wine here in Thailand.

If they were brewing cider locally it would be from apple juice concentrates, like they do with all the fruit juices.

No point in paying to transport water all over the world.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 09/11/2017 at 4:23 PM, observer90210 said:

I prefer a tingly sizzly chilled ginger ale !!!:drunk:

suppose you could make your own or even try substituting the ginger with Galangal.

Made some ginger beer (ale) a few years ago,  problem is you really can not get it above 2%, I tried and it tasted disgusting.

51 minutes ago, JAG said:

I come from Somerset, and the two things I have missed since moving to Chiang Rai are cider and decent Cheddar cheese.

Moose is acceptable, discovered thanks to this thread, thank you!

Any suggestions for the cheese?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Mainland from NZ, sold in Big C etc, not bad

13 hours ago, MaeJoMTB said:

If they were brewing cider locally it would be from apple juice concentrates, like they do with all the fruit juices.

No point in paying to transport water all over the world.

They're not brewing it locally, but rather, importing from Singapore.

Well, I'm pretty sure I spotted the product in question today at my local 7-11, two varieties of 330 ml bottles selling for 59b each. And, contrary to prior speculation, the product appears to be NEITHER made in Thailand nor imported from the UK, but rather, apparently imported from Singapore, based on the label.

If you notice at the top of the right-side bottle on the main photo, you'll see the blue Customs duty paper cover that definitely signals it's an import, not a locally brewed product. Much of the bottle label info is in Thai, except for the reference to 4.5% ABV, so I couldn't make out any ingredients list.

But in the second photo below, the first section of text on the rear bottle label referring to Singapore says it was produced there. The second section of text says it was imported by TAP Trading in Thailand.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 4 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Apple Honey Cider Comapny said:

We can send you cider to chiang rai 
www.ciderthailand.com 

I know, I've looked at your website before. There are no prices quoted, anywhere that I can see. 

If I cannot see, for example, what a case of Thatchers Gold, delivered to me, will cost, then I am not going to go any further. I can see exactly what a case of "Moose" will cost me in my local Big C.

The distribution page of your website tells me that you distribute to Chiang Rai. What it doesn't tell me is to which outlet, and where.

On 12/15/2017 at 8:15 PM, JAG said:

I come from Somerset, and the two things I have missed since moving to Chiang Rai are cider and decent Cheddar cheese.

Moose is acceptable, discovered thanks to this thread, thank you!

Any suggestions for the cheese?

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

After WW2 there was virtually no cheese made in UK except the MMB "government Cheddar".

Now under EU PDO scheme there are 14 makers on farms in the West Country licensed to use the EU Protected Designation of Origin “West Country Farmhouse Cheddar”. There is at least one company that started using the traditional caves at Cheddar recently.

So if you want REAL Cheddar, you are going to have to find either an importer or import it yourself.

There are good artisan cheese makers in NZ and Oz that make good copies.

Sadly after Brexit, Cheddar will again lose it's PDO status and many of those UK companies will probably have to rebrand or go under.

There are however still plenty of farms with cider presses producing "real" farmhouse cider which is sold unbranded.

Edited by Airbagwill

On 11/9/2017 at 9:37 PM, Kevbo said:

My guess would be that they export the concentrate and water is added locally, and possibly sweetener to cater for local tastes

Might take a look at UK laws regarding cider.

In UK law, it must contain at least 35% apple juice (fresh or from concentrate),  The Campaign for Real Ale says that "real cider" should be at least 90% fresh  Apple juice.

In 2014, a study found that a pint of mass-market cider contained five teaspoons (20.5 g) of sugar, nearly the amount the WHO recommends as an adult's daily allowance of added sugar, and 5–10 times the amount of sugar in lager or ale. - wiki.

I know also that after brewing country cider in Devon and Somerset, farmers use Saccharin as a sweetener as it doesn't interfere with fermentation.

So it seems more or less certain that anyone producing cider on an industrial scale will be using apple concentrate regardless of location.

It is also possible even probable that many companies are using HFCS instead of cane super. This can affect taste. Thatcher stopped using HFCS about 3 years ago

Edited by Airbagwill

17 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

After WW2 there was virtually no cheese made in UK except the MMB "government Cheddar".

Now under EU PDO scheme there are 14 makers on farms in the West Country licensed to use the EU Protected Designation of Origin “West Country Farmhouse Cheddar”. There is at least one company that started using the traditional caves at Cheddar recently.

So if you want REAL Cheddar, you are going to have to find either an importer or import it yourself.

There are good artisan cheese makers in NZ and Oz that make good copies.

Sadly after Brexit, Cheddar will again lose it's PDO status and many of those UK companies will probably have to rebrand or go under.

There are however still plenty of farms with cider presses producing "real" farmhouse cider which is sold unbranded.

I don't wish to get into (yet another) argument on Brexit, but I don't really see why, once the UK has left the EU, farmers in Somerset making Cheddar Cheese could not call their cheese "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" when that is exactly what it is?

I would also rather not think about "Government Cheddar"! 

:smile:

I used to regularly buy cider from a couple of farms between Glastonbury and Taunton - lovely stuff.

I was pleased to see that a Pattaya based company could supply "Thatchers Gold" here, but as you may have noted in an earlier post, they are somewhat coy about how much they will charge!  

19 minutes ago, JAG said:

I don't wish to get into (yet another) argument on Brexit, but I don't really see why, once the UK has left the EU, farmers in Somerset making Cheddar Cheese could not call their cheese "West Country Farmhouse Cheddar" when that is exactly what it is?

I used to regularly buy cider from a couple of farms between Glastonbury and Taunton - lovely stuff.

I was pleased to see that a Pattaya based company could supply "Thatchers Gold" here, but as you may have noted in an earlier post, they are somewhat coy about how much they will charge!  

19 minutes ago, JAG said:

They can call it that but as it is no longer PDO, so can anyone else.

PDO is a valuable sales tool and many smaller companies whilst still making the same product will loose the international cachet and sales advantage that this affords.

Several cheese makers and other artisan food and beverage producers have voiced concern about this.

For instance a company in Tasmana was taken to task by the EU for producing a "stilton" which is PDO protected.

It is no coincidence that artisan cheese production UK boomed under EU regs which were responsible for amongst other things the demise of a MMB responsible for the milk paymentpoiciesthat left the UK with 100 cheese makers after the war....as opposed to 3000 before.

Faced with shrinking home.markets, import duties and commercial copies, many of the burgeoning small artisan food makers in the UK will inevitably find the going very hard.

There are about 65 PDO products in UK if you want a list it can be found here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_Kingdom_food_and_drink_products_with_protected_status

Edited by Airbagwill

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/12/2017 at 6:51 PM, vogie said:

I tried the Strongbow Apple Cider last week and it was quite pleasant and thirst quenching. On the strength of that I had some Moose Cider home delivered with my weekly shopping, and this too was just as good as the Strongbow. It is 330ml but 5% and 49 baht.

Points to note, Moose cider has gone up from 49baht to 55baht at Tesco Lotus. ???

On 11/9/2017 at 7:10 PM, LoZth said:

nam apen agrit

You mean Nam appun inlit?? I had to read it 10 times before i understood it.

I tried to buy strongbow in many shops but can't find it cause they don't have it...every supermarket i looked and asked.

So i bought Moose which is ok, tastes like applejuice.

2 minutes ago, Thian said:

You mean Nam appun inlit?? I had to read it 10 times before i understood it.

I tried to buy strongbow in many shops but can't find it cause they don't have it...every supermarket i looked and asked.

So i bought Moose which is ok, tastes like applejuice.

I seen it at my local 711 and I seen it at the Tops in Westgate i know you frequent that shop too.