Steven Seagal faces sex harassment claims

webfact

Portia de Rossi accuses Steven Seagal of sexual harassment

Actress Portia de Rossi has accused actor and producer Steven Seagal of sexual harassment.

The Arrested Development actress, who is married to US talk show host Ellen DeGeneres, made the allegation in a tweet posted on Wednesday night.

She alleges that during a film audition Mr Seagal told her "how important it was to have chemistry off-screen" before unzipping his trousers.

Full story:  http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-41936741

bbc_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright BBC 2017-11-10

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

In my heydays of bar hopping in BKK and other places i had to re-zip my pants back on when the candidate for the evening's fun looked much different under a light than in the dark bar... and not for the better mind you...

3 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

What seems surprising is how suddenly some remember the unacceptable incidents that occured years ago and on which they remained silent till now.....

....perhaps  the Weinstein Domino effect ?

That may indeed be the trigger for reporting but it does not make such reporting untrue.  

Image result for sexual harassment in the workplace

2 hours ago, observer90210 said:

What seems surprising is how suddenly some remember the unacceptable situations that occured years ago and on which they remained silent till now.....

....a sort of Weinstein Domino effect ?

They don't 'suddenly' remember. A lot of them would have felt completely isolated at the time and if they had brought it out would have faced trial by tabloid and been put under extreme pressure in all kinds of ways.
It's the serial offenders who have been getting away with it for years who should be dragged into the spotlight. Unfortunately, i's probably going to mean a few who don't really deserve it being named as well. That's the price to pay for exposing a Savile, Cosby, Weinstein or Spacey but can perhaps be equated to those who've been trashed when they've tried to report things in the past. 

Edited by KhaoNiaw

I've seen 3 of his movies, and that was 2 too many.  As a former martial artist myself (2nd degree Black in Shotokan), I can respect what he has achieved in Aikido, but as a actor, I think he sucks big time.  On a personal level, the man is arrogant, with a "god complex", and is a known abuser of women.  He was married to Kelly LeBroc, and more than once physically abused her to the point of hospitalization. A real man doesn't do that. 

The fact that del Rossi has come forth with this may be the opening door for others to come forth as well. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if they did. 

2 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

As a former martial artist myself (2nd degree Black in Shotokan), I can respect what he has achieved in Aikido,

He may be a Master in Akido (7th Dan) but many don't; as far as I'm aware he isn't taken seriously in either the acting or the mixed martial arts worlds. The days when a belt in one of the traditional martial arts would automatically grant you respect are long gone.

This seems to be an ever widening hysteria. Accusations coming out of the woodwork with no proof.  Suddenly, people with no fame or lost fame are cashing in. This is one of the things really wrong with the US.  This sick sort of frenzy keeps popping up, whether it's Salem witches, Communists in Hollywood in the 1950s, waves of Anita Hills in the 1990s, and now this.

When reading the excerpt in the OP, I saw the phrase 'the Arrested Development actress' .....I thought, wow, that's not kosher.  If she suffers from arrested development, the press corps shouldn't put that in its story.  It would be like; if someone had candida, and the description said, 'the yeast infection actor....'

I then went and googled her name, and realized 'Arrested Development' is the name of one the movies she starred in.  Whew.

6 minutes ago, baansgr said:

Statute of limitations should apply, period of 3 years. Innocent people being hoinded and dragged through the courts for a comment that was perfectly acceptable 30 or, 50  years ago. 

Why should there be a Statute of Limitations at all ?...   People should be held accountable for their poor behavior especially when it involves someone attempting to utilize their power over another for sexual gratification or gain. 

Was this behavior perfectly acceptable 30 or 50 years ago?... my Parents and Grandparents would disagree... If however, unzipping and suggesting you'd whop out your John Thomas is something you witnessed as being perfectly acceptable 30 or 50 years ago you may do better to keep a lid on it for it isn't normal or perfectly acceptable in a mentally healthy society. 

1 hour ago, boomerangutang said:

When reading the excerpt in the OP, I saw the phrase 'the Arrested Development actress' .....I thought, wow, that's not kosher.  If she suffers from arrested development, the press corps shouldn't put that in its story.  It would be like; if someone had candida, and the description said, 'the yeast infection actor....'

I then went and googled her name, and realized 'Arrested Development' is the name of one the movies she starred in.  Whew.

Wholly off-topic (apologies) but Arrested Development is one of the funniest comedy series (not movie) I have seen in a long time - well worth checking it out on Netflix. 

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

This seems to be an ever widening hysteria. Accusations coming out of the woodwork with no proof.  Suddenly, people with no fame or lost fame are cashing in. This is one of the things really wrong with the US.  This sick sort of frenzy keeps popping up, whether it's Salem witches, Communists in Hollywood in the 1950s, waves of Anita Hills in the 1990s, and now this.

Would you prefer that people remain quiet and simply accept that the assaults that they experienced is down to bad luck? The climate of fear that these giants of the industry created was part of the reason that little more than rumour was ever heard. That a few brave individuals have shown remarkable courage and demonstrated to those living under a shadow that bad things won't happen to them if they speak out, is to be commended, not scorned.

2 hours ago, zydeco said:

Yes, I confess to mixed emotions on all this rhubarb. Does taking advantage of those females having less power happen? Yes, without question. Is using your power position to take advantage sexually to be condemned...yes. So, why would I have a problem with all that is currently taking place? Well, for one thing, I also recognized there are those individuals who wish to take advantage of the potential to gain money or notoriety. Many accused, having means, balance the expense, the time, the stress and opt to settle out of court whether guilty or not. Another concern, I am a male and thus suffer from testosterone poisoning! (Ha! It is a medical condition). In my culture and I am told, in nature, the male is a pursuer. OK, we want to mate (be able to seduce a female to get in her pants). So, if I "hit" on a girl and she is not interested, it is harassment. If I do the same and she is open to spending time to investigate...not harassment. Ha! Yes, a very old issue... Fortunately, as we age the testosterone level and thus the drive does slacken (so I am told).

RELATED TOPIC:

Under fire Hollywood action star Steven Seagal was feted by Thailand on frequent visits

steven-segal.jpg

File photo

The Hollywood action star Steven Seagal - at the center of the latest accusations about sexual misconduct - is an old friend of Thailand and has been feted by the current government.

Full story: https://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/1010739-under-fire-hollywood-action-star-steven-seagal-was-feted-by-thailand-on-frequent-visits/

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

In my culture and I am told, in nature, the male is a pursuer. OK, we want to mate (be able to seduce a female to get in her pants). So, if I "hit" on a girl and she is not interested, it is harassment. If I do the same and she is open to spending time to investigate...not harassment. Ha! Yes, a very old issue... Fortunately, as we age the testosterone level and thus the drive does slacken (so I am told).

But surely you know where the line is, and you do not cross it unless given permission to do so? There is a world of difference between innocent flirting and the sort of allegations that have been put out recently. 

Of course there is the possibility that some people will see a passing bandwagon and jump on it in the vain hope of personal gain, but that is with every aspect of life. It should not be a reason to continue to deny a voice to those who have been wronged and finally found the courage to raise it.

Was this behavior perfectly acceptable 30 or 50 years ago?

Pretty much, or at least tolerated. Errol Flynn had a 15 year old girlfriend at the time of his death at 50. He boasted of having sex with over 12,000 women, a lot of them underage, as he preferred.

you can see a pattern forming here ..... all the individuals start to see  $$$'s  

It's getting a bit much to be honest ....someone jumping on the bandwagon every few days   ..  and some of the alleged were 40 years ago ...  !!   :shock1:

move on .... 

Edited by steven100

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

you can see the pattern here ..... all the individuals start to see  $$$'s  

It's getting a bit much to be honest ......  and some of the alleged were 40 years ago ...  !!   :shock1:

move on .... 

You just made that up. Where is it reported that this accuser is seeking money? Also, it's relevant when very large amounts of money are paid, such as a famous ex-Fox news super star (and others) that is a strong indicator of GUILT. Why pay out huge amounts if you're innocent and can defend that? 

Of course, not all accusations have merit, and not all accusations are very serious even if true. That's why I think the bar has been raised to need MULTIPLE accusers for the public to take these kinds of charges seriously. Or of course serious things like rape and going after underage. 

Edited by Jingthing

14 minutes ago, car720 said:

oh please,  next you will be telling me that none of these starlets were willing to jump on the casting couch to get ahead.

Ask any married man just how vicious and cunning a woman can be when she sets her sights on something.  Hence the expression, "hell knows no fury".

Allegations came out this week about the late Corey Haim, and how as a 13-year old boy he was allegedly raped by a massive Hollywood star. If true, and there is a lot of compelling, albeit circumstantial, evidence to suggest that there is more than a kernel of truth in it, that doesn't fit your assessment of a manipulative wannabe sleeping their way to the top.  

27 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

You just made that up. Where is it reported that this accuser is seeking money? Also, it's relevant when very large amounts of money are paid, such as a famous ex-Fox news super star (and others) that is a strong indicator of GUILT. Why pay out huge amounts if you're innocent and can defend that? 

' Where is it reported that this accuser is seeking money? '    of coarse they are seeking money ....

All i'm saying is why come out and say this happened now ... why not say it when it happened or alot closer to the time it happened,  not years later  ????

But each to his own opinion .... 

Edited by steven100

14 minutes ago, RuamRudy said:

Allegations came out this week about the late Corey Haim, and how as a 13-year old boy he was allegedly raped by a massive Hollywood star. If true, and there is a lot of compelling, albeit circumstantial, evidence to suggest that there is more than a kernel of truth in it, that doesn't fit your assessment of a manipulative wannabe sleeping their way to the top.  

Because he was male this should make a difference? Roman Polanski had sex with a 13 year old girl who was being pushed by her mother to get a part in a Polanski film. Unfortunately, both male and female will stoop to any level to achieve fame, and parents will prostitute their own children.

Edited by giddyup

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

' Where is it reported that this accuser is seeking money? '    of coarse they are seeking money ....

All i'm saying is why come out and say this happened now ... why not say it when it happened of near the time it happened.

But each to his own opinion .... 

Again, you made that up.

You can't back it up that the motivation is financial.

So you're basically pushing fake news. Sad.

It's dizzying how many celebs are being accused now.

Some of them do wonderful work.

Like Kevin Spacey and Louie C.K. 

I understand the truth needs to come out, and it's become a "thing" now, but I'm also not thrilled some great performers will likely be silenced now. 

Not including Seagal in that category.