Best restaurants in Chiang Mai

8. 2

Big bike forced off road by car on Bangkok highway - video

9. 112

Harris Voices Outrage in Interview with Howard Stern

10. 23

Thailand Live Friday 11 October 2024

11. 76

Why Are You Even Here? The Surprising Attitudes of Some Expats in Thailand

12. 0

Smell of trouble: Bangkok busts 7 Vietnamese for selling cannabis

13. 18

Real estate agent (and previous owner) omit to tell one little detail, liable for damages ?

14. 51

Harris Blows an Easy Interview, Trump Pounces: She is Just Joe Biden Redux

Steven Seagal faces sex harassment claims

webfact

5 minutes ago, steven100 said:

' Where is it reported that this accuser is seeking money? '    of coarse they are seeking money ....

All i'm saying is why come out and say this happened now ... why not say it when it happened of near the time it happened.

But each to his own opinion .... 

Or English.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Would you prefer that people remain quiet and simply accept that the assaults that they experienced is down to bad luck? The climate of fear that these giants of the industry created was part of the reason that little more than rumour was ever heard. That a few brave individuals have shown remarkable courage and demonstrated to those living under a shadow that bad things won't happen to them if they speak out, is to be commended, not scorned.

While I agree with the concept of holding them responsible, there's going to be a lot of really tight sphincters here on TVF if, in perhaps 10 years, the UN convinces the world that paying economically disadvantaged women for sex is a despicable (and prosecutable)  behavior.  And there won't be any excuses since it is illegal already...

Edited by impulse

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

While I agree with the concept of holding them responsible, there's going to be a lot of really tight sphincters here on TVF if, in perhaps 10 years, the UN convinces the world that paying economically disadvantaged women for sex is a despicable (and prosecutable)  behavior.  And there won't be any excuses since it is illegal already...

Don't be ridiculous.

17 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Don't be ridiculous.

What's ridiculous about it?

There are talentless women who go to Hollywood to willingly (even eagerly) sleep their way to stardom. How do you separate them from the innocents who are preyed upon, any better than you can separate the Isaan girls who eagerly come looking for a foreign husband from those whose financial situation forces them to do things that weren't part of their dreams when they moved to the big city (that's Pattaya, BTW)?

Edit:  If you get away from venues like TVF and read some recent UN Reports about Human Trafficking and Sex Tourism, you'll see that servicing the sexual wants of relatively well off foreigners is already not universally accepted as innocent fun without victims.  Regardless of all the guys who contend that it's okay because it's 2 consenting adults...  Kind of like casting couches are accepted by a huge subset of some other demographics, but apparently not by all any more.

Edited by impulse

7 hours ago, observer90210 said:

What seems surprising is how suddenly some remember the unacceptable situations that occured years ago and on which they remained silent till now.....

....a sort of Weinstein Domino effect ?

Yep. Be honest, had you heard of this "actress" before?

Now, thanks to her lesbian "husband" she's getting this story out to 75 million viewers. How politically correct to be a female TV hostess with a wife is that. And now they can both milk this story and get more adulation from the PC masses.

Sexual harassment, like racial, religious, disability, or any harassment is totally unacceptable.

But now it seems too many stories, and without evidence that's what they are, come out. But it's fashionable.

Spacey may be guilty maybe not. But there's no trial so far. Hasn't stopped him being sacked and even erased from a new film.

A Welsh politician committed suicide recently over allegations - because he wasn't even told the detail of the allegations, let alone given any chance to defend himself. The local Labor party saw it as a way to get rid of him. Now a big scandal, not surprisingly.

This trial by twitter and social media; presumption of guilt as soon as some PC accusation is trotted out, often many years after the alleged offense, and the taking of punitive actions prior to any prosecution, trial and verdict is a very scary threat to the notion of justice. 

3 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

Would you prefer that people remain quiet and simply accept that the assaults that they experienced is down to bad luck? The climate of fear that these giants of the industry created was part of the reason that little more than rumour was ever heard. That a few brave individuals have shown remarkable courage and demonstrated to those living under a shadow that bad things won't happen to them if they speak out, is to be commended, not scorned.

No. I would prefer people to complain to the police. And allow the police to do their job. And preferably close to the time the offense was committed.

Not jump on a convenient bandwagon, and sensationalize accusations by using spouses celebrity status to attempt to influence a large section of the public into believing what is an accusation and not a statement of fact.

Why has she suddenly now decided ? And why has her "husband" taken to social media to stir up support with a tweet that could be claimed to be an attempt to prejudice any trial?

It seems that in the PC world making a fashionable accusation is automatically assumed proven.

2 hours ago, RuamRudy said:

But surely you know where the line is, and you do not cross it unless given permission to do so? There is a world of difference between innocent flirting and the sort of allegations that have been put out recently. 

Of course there is the possibility that some people will see a passing bandwagon and jump on it in the vain hope of personal gain, but that is with every aspect of life. It should not be a reason to continue to deny a voice to those who have been wronged and finally found the courage to raise it.

I believe I addressed this in the first half of my entry which, for some reason you did not include. Please use the whole quote as what I say might otherwise well be misconstrued.

"Yes, I confess to mixed emotions on all this rhubarb. Does taking advantage of those females having less power happen? Yes, without question. Is using your power position to take advantage sexually to be condemned...yes. So, why would I have a problem with all that is currently taking place? Well, for one thing, I also recognized there are those individuals who wish to take advantage of the potential to gain money or notoriety. Many accused, having means, balance the expense, the time, the stress and opt to settle out of court whether guilty or not. Another concern, I am a male and thus suffer from testosterone poisoning! (Ha! It is a medical condition). In my culture and I am told, in nature, the male is a pursuer. OK, we want to mate (be able to seduce a female to get in her pants). So, if I "hit" on a girl and she is not interested, it is harassment. If I do the same and she is open to spending time to investigate...not harassment. Ha! Yes, a very old issue... Fortunately, as we age the testosterone level and thus the drive does slacken (so I am told)."

I have a solution to every man who wishes to avoid accusations: steer well clear of western women. Treat them like lepers, change to the other side of the street or run away screaming. Never, ever, employ one. 

Luckily they are only about 1/3 of the world's female population. Go Asia.

1 hour ago, car720 said:

oh please,  next you will be telling me that none of these starlets were willing to jump on the casting couch to get ahead.

Ask any married man just how vicious and cunning a woman can be when she sets her sights on something.  Hence the expression, "hell knows no fury".

No I won't be telling you that. I made it quite clear I'm talking about serial offenders who should have been dealt before. Interesting that your reaction is to blame the victims, an attitude which has been part of the problem. What's your suggestion for genuine victims of abuse?

58 minutes ago, impulse said:

What's ridiculous about it?

There are talentless women who go to Hollywood to willingly (even eagerly) sleep their way to stardom. How do you separate them from the innocents who are preyed upon, any better than you can separate the Isaan girls who eagerly come looking for a foreign husband from those whose financial situation forces them to do things that weren't part of their dreams when they moved to the big city (that's Pattaya, BTW)?

Edit:  If you get away from venues like TVF and read some recent UN Reports about Human Trafficking and Sex Tourism, you'll see that servicing the sexual wants of relatively well off foreigners is already not universally accepted as innocent fun without victims.  Regardless of all the guys who contend that it's okay because it's 2 consenting adults...  Kind of like casting couches are accepted by a huge subset of some other demographics, but apparently not by all any more.

I'm well aware paying for sex workers is already not considered innocent fun by many, but you're basically injecting an off topic PARANOID concept of future prosecution of everyday people. Of course in some countries, including the U.S. "johns" are arrested but it's generally done on the spot or not at all. Of course if celebrities are revealed to be buyers of sex workers, that's fair game juicy gossip dish, now and always. 

57 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Yep. Be honest, had you heard of this "actress" before?

Now, thanks to her lesbian "husband" she's getting this story out to 75 million viewers. How politically correct to be a female TV hostess with a wife is that. And now they can both milk this story and get more adulation from the PC masses.

Sexual harassment, like racial, religious, disability, or any harassment is totally unacceptable.

But now it seems too many stories, and without evidence that's what they are, come out. But it's fashionable.

Spacey may be guilty maybe not. But there's no trial so far. Hasn't stopped him being sacked and even erased from a new film.

A Welsh politician committed suicide recently over allegations - because he wasn't even told the detail of the allegations, let alone given any chance to defend himself. The local Labor party saw it as a way to get rid of him. Now a big scandal, not surprisingly.

This trial by twitter and social media; presumption of guilt as soon as some PC accusation is trotted out, often many years after the alleged offense, and the taking of punitive actions prior to any prosecution, trial and verdict is a very scary threat to the notion of justice. 

I'd bet the house Spacey is guilty of underage sex crimes but I don't think he's technically a pedophile per se (someone into prepubescent children), more like an aggressive "chicken hawk" into twinks without regard to their legal age status. Doesn't necessarily mean he'll ever be convicted of anything, but his brilliant career (really, it was) is definitely OVER. 

Edited by Jingthing

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Don't be ridiculous.

I won't take up space in citing your numerous responses to your fellow posters.

But you seem unable to start a post without calling others ridiculous, or accusing other forum members of posting fake news and so on ?

Why do you need to be so caty and rude ? - Are you that unfamiliar with a normal healthy debate with different ideas ? Why so agressive ? What's your problem pal ?

Edited by observer90210

2 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I won't take up space in citing your numerous responses to your fellow posters.

But you seem unable to start a post without calling others ridiculous, or accusing other forum members of posting fake news and so on ?

Why do you need to be so caty and rude ? - Are you that unfamiliar with a normal healthy debate with different ideas ? Why so agressive ? What's your problem pal ?`

It was an apt response to that ridiculous and OFF TOPIC fear mongering post. This is about sex harassment etc., not paying free will sex workers. 

Don't bother me again with your personalized baiting. It is stupid, trollish, and not even interesting. 

Edited by Jingthing

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

It was an apt response to that ridiculous and OFF TOPIC fear mongering post. This is about sex harassment etc., not paying free will sex workers. 

Don't bother me again with your personalized baiting. It is stupid, trollish, and not even interesting. 

I take your word that you seem to have much more experience on what is baiting then I do. Your aggressivity is rather sad however. Have a nice life in my ignore list.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's dizzying how many celebs are being accused now.

Some of them do wonderful work.

Like Kevin Spacey and Louie C.K. 

I understand the truth needs to come out, and it's become a "thing" now, but I'm also not thrilled some great performers will likely be silenced now. 

Not including Seagal in that category. 

It hasn't been the same since Rolf Harris went down (under).

4 minutes ago, observer90210 said:

I take your word that you seem to have much more experience on what is baiting then I do. Your aggressivity is rather sad however. Have a nice life in my ignore list.

Great. Maybe there is a God! :partytime2:

Edited by Jingthing

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I'm well aware paying for sex workers is already not considered innocent fun by many, but you're basically injecting an off topic PARANOID concept of future prosecution of everyday people. Of course in some countries, including the U.S. "johns" are arrested but it's generally done on the spot or not at all. Of course if celebrities are revealed to be buyers of sex workers, that's fair game juicy gossip dish, now and always. 

The subtopic being discussed was statutes of limitations, and I'm not claiming an opinion on the behavior itself- casting couches (or my analogy, sex tourism).  Just that it's unfair to judge someone's behavior of 10 or more years ago based on today's social standards, and also unfair to hold a he-said, she-said trial based on memories of consent (or lack thereof) that are decades old.   

If it happens today and is illegal today, report it today.  Not 10 or more years later.  If that means giving up career aspirations, you were probably better off outside of that career. 

There's a lot of us who would get swept up in the legal stampede that would be unleashed if we were to be held to today's PC standards for drunken debauchery we participated in when we were kids.  And if the lawyers figured we had the assets to make it worth their while, they'd surely join the stampede.  Instead of nipping it in the bud 10+ years ago by going after the behavior while it's happening- not after many lives are destroyed (and the perpetrators, not so coincidentally, build on their deep pockets).

6 hours ago, isaanbanhou said:

She is a lesbian.  Steven Segal  is not only a bad actor but bad at choosing women to offer his johnson to

Depends on WHEN he chose her . While she was in "Ally McBeal" , she was smoking hot , playing a lesbian with Lucy Liu.

Now not that hot anymore , time takes its toll.

And for a man it doesn't matter if she is a lesbian.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Actually if I understand the law correctly if you are from uk or another similar country you can be charged with soliciting prostitutes regardless of where you are. The laws of your country apply worldwide...just as if you were a kiddie fiddler.....so.

3 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I believe I addressed this in the first half of my entry which, for some reason you did not include. Please use the whole quote as what I say might otherwise well be misconstrued.

"Yes, I confess to mixed emotions on all this rhubarb. Does taking advantage of those females having less power happen? Yes, without question. Is using your power position to take advantage sexually to be condemned...yes. So, why would I have a problem with all that is currently taking place? Well, for one thing, I also recognized there are those individuals who wish to take advantage of the potential to gain money or notoriety. Many accused, having means, balance the expense, the time, the stress and opt to settle out of court whether guilty or not. Another concern, I am a male and thus suffer from testosterone poisoning! (Ha! It is a medical condition). In my culture and I am told, in nature, the male is a pursuer. OK, we want to mate (be able to seduce a female to get in her pants). So, if I "hit" on a girl and she is not interested, it is harassment. If I do the same and she is open to spending time to investigate...not harassment. Ha! Yes, a very old issue... Fortunately, as we age the testosterone level and thus the drive does slacken (so I am told)."

If you believe that you addressed that in the first half of your post then our interpretations of your missive are very different.

Regardless, you deliberately downplay the reported assaults by equating clumsy attempts at flirting with the sort of abuse that is being reported - nothing was misconstrued by me. 

1 hour ago, impulse said:

The subtopic being discussed was statutes of limitations, and I'm not claiming an opinion on the behavior itself- casting couches (or my analogy, sex tourism).  Just that it's unfair to judge someone's behavior of 10 or more years ago based on today's social standards, and also unfair to hold a he-said, she-said trial based on memories of consent (or lack thereof) that are decades old.   

If it happens today and is illegal today, report it today.  Not 10 or more years later.  If that means giving up career aspirations, you were probably better off outside of that career. 

There's a lot of us who would get swept up in the legal stampede that would be unleashed if we were to be held to today's PC standards for drunken debauchery we participated in when we were kids.  And if the lawyers figured we had the assets to make it worth their while, they'd surely join the stampede.  Instead of nipping it in the bud 10+ years ago by going after the behavior while it's happening- not after many lives are destroyed (and the perpetrators, not so coincidentally, build on their deep pockets).

I am sure that, like myself, the majority of people posting here have, fortunately, never been the subject of sexual assault or abuse. I think that, in itself, means that none of us are truly in a position where we can say how long it takes for victims to come the point when they feel ready to reveal it. If it screws someone up so badly that they cannot speak about it for a couple of decades, does that mean that they should be denied the opportunity to seek justice?

We are not talking about victimless crimes that took place in less enlightened times - these were, in some cases, devastating attacks that affected people for years afterwards.

As for guilt associated with not stopping one's attacker from doing the same to others, I understand that this is a common sentiment felt by those who have bottled it up for a long time.

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Actually if I understand the law correctly if you are from uk or another similar country you can be charged with soliciting prostitutes regardless of where you are. The laws of your country apply worldwide...just as if you were a kiddie fiddler.....so.

I think there is at least one Scandinavian country like that. The UK I think not. 

1 hour ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Well that's great news as my country is legalizing pot on July 1, 2018.

in my earlier days playing music I was invited out on town by a female producer. she hinted on how those that make her happy get many good gigs. she tried to take me home for the night but I did not feel chemistry thus I ended up without gigs via her. 

I got gigs without her help. no big deal nor did I suffer emotional trauma. had she unzipped her pants or mine would have made no difference nor would I have needed to see a psychiatrist. never had any interest in reporting it .

39 minutes ago, atyclb said:

in my earlier days playing music I was invited out on town by a female producer. she hinted on how those that make her happy get many good gigs. she tried to take me home for the night but I did not feel chemistry thus I ended up without gigs via her. 

I got gigs without her help. no big deal nor did I suffer emotional trauma. had she unzipped her pants or mine would have made no difference nor would I have needed to see a psychiatrist. never had any interest in reporting it .

And if you had reported it, I am sure that the police would have pointed out that she had not committed a crime and therefore there was no case for her to answer. But how is that relevant to the reports of rape, child molestation, groping, flashing etc?