It's a laugh a minute - for the police - as two dozen homeless people rounded up on Pattaya beach

webfact

It's a laugh a minute - for the police - as two dozen homeless people rounded up on Pattaya beach

4pm.jpg

Picture: TNews

Tnews reported that a contingent of police descended on Pattaya beach in the early hours of Thursday morning to carry out a "crime suppression and prevention drive".

The move was not directed at the prostitutes this time after an earlier raid.

One man taken in was a nationally known former comedian while others feigned madness.

The targets this time were 25 homeless people - 14 men and 11 women - who were made to sit down on the floor at the police station while they had their pictures taken and records noted for future reference.

Nettithorn Rattanasuchanan leading the sweep admitted that the move was ordered from above to stop various kinds of theft and assault and improve Pattaya's image.

He said that should problems occur with tourists the pictures would enable quick arrests.

No one mentioned the upcoming international boat show that was cited for the raid on 50 prostitutes earlier.

Drug tests were carried out on the homeless and one was found to be wanted on a warrant.

But the police managed to enjoy plenty of humor in the operation.

Among those hauled in was former top comedian Yaem Jankaew or Yaem Look Yee, 52, who has apparently fallen on hard times.

While during the beach raid some of the homeless pretended to be mad.

They started talking to the coconut trees.

Their madness disappeared as they were led into the station causing much mirth among the constabulary.

Source: TNews

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-11-10

Rounding up, laughing at and humiliating the homeless? Wow! What a great police force we have. I note that not a single one of them, was charged with having done anything illegal whatsoever. And no mention either of any solution in finding them somewhere to stay, just the suggestion that they were likely criminals in waiting. Very sad.

57 minutes ago, webfact said:

He said that should problems occur with tourists the pictures would enable quick arrests.

Great thought process to imagine that all crimes will be committed by 25 homeless people, or how ever many they add to the 'homeless' database......................:sad:

1 hour ago, fforest1 said:

First the blacks were rounded up then the working girls now the homeless...Next it will be the tourist turn....

Maybe just those complaining about the promenade, Hooter's, ferry prices, boarded up shops in Central, and no skating rink in Harbor. Hmmmm. 

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Rounding up, laughing at and humiliating the homeless? Wow! What a great police force we have. I note that not a single one of them, was charged with having done anything illegal whatsoever. And no mention either of any solution in finding them somewhere to stay, just the suggestion that they were likely criminals in waiting. Very sad.

They'll likely load 'em onto a truck and ship them out.....come back after the boat show!

14 hours ago, fforest1 said:

First the blacks were rounded up then the working girls now the homeless...Next it will be the tourist turn....

Then they came for me—and there was no one left to speak for me.

On 11/10/2017 at 9:51 AM, webfact said:

While during the beach raid some of the homeless pretended to be mad.

They started talking to the coconut trees.

I started talking to the coconut trees after 3 weeks on my first trip to Pattaya. Now its a part of my daily routine. :crazy:

On 11/10/2017 at 10:24 AM, darksidedog said:

" I note that not a single one of them, was charged with having done anything illegal"

You failed to note that one was wanted on a warrant, therefore there was an implied arrest.

The police were laughing at the ones feigning madness.

12 hours ago, buvsofia said:

and again "Pattaya's Image" is brought up......what about Pattaya's safety, Pattaya's liveability, Pattaya's anti-corruption, Pattaya's Hookers, Pattaya's Traffic, Pattaya's Beaches, Pattaya's......., Pattaya's........?

Oh right......Pattaya's Image. :sorry:

You forgot Pattaya's gratuitous detractors.

On 11/10/2017 at 1:37 PM, buvsofia said:

and again "Pattaya's Image" is brought up......what about Pattaya's safety, Pattaya's liveability, Pattaya's anti-corruption, Pattaya's Hookers, Pattaya's Traffic, Pattaya's Beaches, Pattaya's......., Pattaya's........?

Oh right......Pattaya's Image. :sorry:

The hypocrisy is astounding...how do you say "empathy"  or "compassion" in Thai- especially when the alleged role models - aka ...the police  are not without sin? In a country where  sex tourism is generally / visibly acceptable and not underground, figure out the priorities as stated by buvsofia above. Obviously, Thai people (in particular those who are down on their luck) on a beach is different from blatant displays of bar solicitation. I get the desire to promote the country as being family-friendly, but like many things - after an established image is broadcast to potential tourists, one thinking that that image will be reversed by an occasional round-up of ill-targeted native Thais- while the same thing goes on in other places is absurd and defies any reasonable logic to say the least.

I recognize two of the people sitting on the floor. I occasionally give them forty baht for  a meal. Both are severely mentally ill and have never asked me for any help, I just help them because I feel sorry for them. It is so depressing that Thailand does not truly recognize mental illness, only crime and overly severe punishment. Just disgusting.