Pattaya cancels International Fireworks Festival

Rimmer

Pattaya cancels International Fireworks Festival

image.png

PATTAYA:--This year’s Pattaya International Fireworks Festival is dead, a victim of government red tape.

City hall announced the cancellation of the Nov. 17-18 event – meant to be a highlight of Pattaya’s international fleet show – on Nov. 3, saying it was unable to get the Interior Ministry to approve its budget on time.

Pattaya has been under pressure from the central government to cut expenses ever since the terms of its elected leaders expired in 2015. The Office of the Auditor General accused the former administration of wasteful spending on a myriad of tourism-promotion events. Now city officials are sticking close the letter of the law.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/pattaya-cancels-international-fireworks-festival-191334

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-11-10

So, all those international teams that had made preparations, probably at considerable expense, are told  a week before the event that it's been cancelled. Looks like some compensation claims might be heading the way of city hall.

Just another example of the extreme incompetents running Pattaya City Hall.  Why didn't they have their paperwork in on time to secure the funding when they knew when the fireworks event was happening?  Really amateur hour--and not just with this but with so many other things.   The past fireworks events drew huge crowds and were very well-received. I know they drew lots of people into town to se them.  Really short-sighted and bone-headed to cancel this year's.   Why not look for a sponsor for next year's event?  As slow and bungling as the administration is, best to get started on it now.

With the International Fleet Review going on at the same time it is probably for the best.

Think back 10 years ago when they attempted a world record with a massive firework which failed and blew the roof off the Sea Rescue Centre. Tempting though it is to see the Thai aircraft carrier sunk by an errant firework, the repercussions should they hit a US destroyer would be too much to bear.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

9 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Over the years I have been in Pattaya for a few of the shows.   One was really good and one of the displays was like something out of a holiday movie where the blasts and fireworks literally were a wall up and down the beach. 

I have made it an annual event for many years. I live out of town so always booked into one of the 5 star hotels. Nice meal, a few glasses of wine then into a deck chair with cold beers to watch the spectacle. The first few I attended were spectacular, more recent ones less so, but still enjoyable. No beer on the beach, no fireworks and a hotel to cancel...... hope it is refundable!

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I have made it an annual event for many years. I live out of town so always booked into one of the 5 star hotels. Nice meal, a few glasses of wine then into a deck chair with cold beers to watch the spectacle. The first few I attended were spectacular, more recent ones less so, but still enjoyable. No beer on the beach, no fireworks and a hotel to cancel...... hope it is refundable!

I'm sure you were not the only one to make an annual trip to Pattaya for the fireworks event.  My Bangkok relatives made a point to come see them, too.  That's why it is so short-sighted by all those in charge to cancel what had become something to look forward to each year--especially when they seem to be striving so hard to change Pattaya's image.  We've had plenty of marathons and triathlons but they are not everyone's cup of tea.   If TAT was well-run it would have stepped in and found the money, perhaps by funding it itself or lining up some corporate sponsors.  Too many people in charge who are clueless.

6 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

With enough perseverance and fortitude, Golden Gooses can be killed.

On the contrary, 'easiest thing in the world to kill one, as golden egg hunters have done for centuries.  What takes perseverance and fortitude, in some places anyway (...), is keeping one alive!  In Thailand, they're practically extinct...

Instead of public funds these events they should be sponsored, so maybe time for the bars, hotels, shops, massage parlors, etc., stopped buying thickets for the police ball which they nether attend and started sponsoring events that are going to get people into Pattaya. 

Sounds to me like someone is sh>> scared of the bangs fireworks make. You should see what we purchased last week one massive box of fireworks only £399.00, ready for the party at Christmas, there are some big bangs in there and loads of fun. last Saturday we went to a fireworks display over 5000 people where also there, lovely display and so much fun, loads of children there who all loved it. When they lit the bonfire, I was thinking that someone I know off would have made a lovely Guy Fawkes, shame he did not volunteer.

Edited by wakeupplease

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2017 at 8:19 AM, newnative said:

I'm sure you were not the only one to make an annual trip to Pattaya for the fireworks event.  My Bangkok relatives made a point to come see them, too.  That's why it is so short-sighted by all those in charge to cancel what had become something to look forward to each year--especially when they seem to be striving so hard to change Pattaya's image.  We've had plenty of marathons and triathlons but they are not everyone's cup of tea.   If TAT was well-run it would have stepped in and found the money, perhaps by funding it itself or lining up some corporate sponsors.  Too many people in charge who are clueless.

I have just come back from Lopburi where the monkey feast was cancelled at the last minute even thought it was being advertised on all the main information sites and many people had traveled a long way to see it.  It bodes ill for other festivals and celebrations. It bodes ill for Thailand. It bodes ill for fun. Yet we have the ridiculous jet ski festival coming up and some stupid boat show. Utterly crass decisions delivered in a crass way. 

On 11/14/2017 at 11:54 AM, CatCage said:

I have heard from a very credible source that their will be a fireworks display in conjuration with the fleet week event.  If so this I guess this will be nothing to do with City Hall budget constraints 

Unless they cancel the fleet week celebrations!

Its the fun police at the highest level trying to coerce the Thai people into constraint. Anybody noticed how long the traffic lights are on red these days? Nothing to do with traffic flow. Just designed to control for the sake of control. There is a deliberate attempt to destroy the Thai spirit. It is political spite. As for the fleet review - North Korea style show of military power designed to impress and intimidate.

55 minutes ago, The manic said:

I have just come back from Lopburi where the monkey feast was cancelled at the last minute even thought it was being advertised on all the main information sites and many people had traveled a long way to see it.  It bodes ill for other festivals and celebrations. It bodes ill for Thailand. It bodes ill for fun. Yet we have the ridiculous jet ski festival coming up and some stupid boat show. Utterly crass decisions delivered in a crass way. 

Hiso good, loso bad.