Scooter crash victim Stacey Liddle fears being held hostage over Thailand hospital bill

rooster59

19 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Yes, a high-risk activity indeed, as are other “travel activities” such as scuba diving. Therefore to be covered, one requires the appropriate licence - as stated in every Australian travel insurance company’s fine print that I’ve researched.

It would be great to know the name of her insurer to clarify...

Its all a moot point now as the bill have been paid and she is heading home for surgery.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Yes, a high-risk activity indeed, as are other “travel activities” such as scuba diving. Therefore to be covered, one requires the appropriate licence - as stated in every Australian travel insurance company’s fine print that I’ve researched.

It didnt say that She didnt have the appropriate licence .

It stated that riding motorbikes was excluded because it was considered to be a dangerous activity , nothing to do whether she had a license or not .

Having looked through a few insurance policies on-line, they all say the same thing "Consult your personal policy to see the full list of exclusions" . 

45 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Scuba Diving is more and more considered a non high risk activity, and covered on standard travel insurance.

5 minutes ago, Techno Viking said:

I work for a US company so I assume it is from a US based insurer.

In that case I understand, considering the health care issues the US is having.

For most western countries though, scooter/motorbike riding will not be an exclusion on health insurance policies.

Its all a moot point now as the bill have been paid and she is heading home for surgery.

Not a moot point at all.

IMO forums such as TVF serve many useful purposes. One is to help inform members (and others) of relevant Thai matters such as travel insurance information.

Knowing which companies do or don’t provide cover for licensed riders, may help avoid what happened in the OP.

Scuba Diving is more and more considered a non high risk activity, and covered on standard travel insurance.

Yes, scuba diving appears to be covered on standard travel insurance...providing you hold a licence or you are under the guidance of a qualified dive instructor.

10 minutes ago, Gregster said:

Not a moot point at all.

IMO forums such as TVF serve many useful purposes. One is to help inform members (and others) of relevant Thai matters such as travel insurance information.

Knowing which companies do or don’t provide cover for licensed riders, may help avoid what happened in the OP.

Yeh a very useful resource for all these morons getting badly injured every other day and then need to start a go fund me page as they did not bother reading the PDS of their insurance, if they have any at all.

7 hours ago, steven100 said:

Try getting anything done in the US or Australia .....  same thing,  they want to know how they will be paid before any costly work is done.

I believe major hospitals in many countries including both mentioned above would treat emergency patients without money like car accidents etc.

Come back and post after your loved one gets taken out by an uninsured Thai motorist and you get smacked with a million baht of medical bills.  Or electrocuted in a shoddy hotel pool.  Or has a sign fall on them in a breeze...

All of the above are covered by my normal health insurance. Then again by my travel insurance. And if I pay the holiday by CC again by the cc company.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Moto G (5) Plus met Tapatalk