U.S. Senate Republicans ask Moore to withdraw as new accuser steps forward

webfact

U.S. Senate Republicans ask Moore to withdraw as new accuser steps forward

By John Whitesides

tag_reuters-1.jpg

Judge Roy Moore participates in the Mid-Alabama Republican Club's Veterans Day Program in Vestavia Hills, Alabama, U.S., November 11, 2017. REUTERS/Marvin Gentry

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell led a chorus of establishment Republicans on Monday urging Roy Moore, the party's Senate candidate in Alabama, to quit the race as a fifth woman came forward with allegations Moore had sexual contact with teenage girls decades ago.

Beverly Young Nelson said Moore sexually assaulted her when she was 16 and he was a prosecuting attorney in his 30s. At a New York news conference, the tearful Nelson said Moore groped her, tried to pull her shirt off and shove her head in his lap, then warned that "no one will believe you" if she told anyone.

"I was twisting and struggling and begging him to stop," said Nelson, a waitress at an Alabama restaurant where Moore often ate when the incident occurred. "I had tears running down my face."

Moore, a Christian conservative and former chief justice of the Alabama Supreme Court, has refused to withdraw from the race.

His campaign released a statement denying "any sexual misconduct with anyone" and saying the new allegations were part of a "witch hunt."

McConnell told reporters in his home state of Kentucky that party officials were considering whether a Republican write-in candidate could be found to challenge Moore in the Dec. 12 special election.

"I think he should step aside," said McConnell, who previously said Moore should leave the race if the allegations were true. "I believe the women."

Republican Senators Orrin Hatch, Susan Collins, Lindsey Graham, Todd Young and Cory Gardner joined McConnell in calling for Moore to drop out - a move that could open the door for Democrats to cut into Republicans' narrow two-seat Senate majority.

Collins said she was not convinced by his denials. Gardner, the head of the Senate Republican campaign arm, said Moore was unfit to serve in the Senate.

"If he refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate," Gardner said in a statement.

Senator John Cornyn, the Senate's No. 2 Republican, withdrew his endorsement but said Alabama voters should make the final judgement on Moore.

Moore had been a heavy favourite to win the election against Democrat Doug Jones. He has denied the allegations first raised in a Washington Post story about his relationships with four women when they were teenagers, including a charge he initiated sexual contact with a 14-year-old girl when he was in his 30s.

He said on Twitter that McConnell was the person who should step down.

"He has failed conservatives and must be replaced," Moore said.

MANY SUPPORTERS STEADFAST

The state party and many other Alabama Republicans have not wavered in their support of Moore, who scored a decisive Republican primary victory in September over Luther Strange. Strange, who drew the support of President Donald Trump in the primary, was appointed to fill the seat vacated by Jeff Sessions when he became U.S. attorney general earlier this year.

The growing furore over Moore sets up a confrontation between establishment Republicans and Moore's supporters in the party's populist movement led by former White House chief strategist Steve Bannon.

A Democratic win in Alabama would be a blow to Trump's agenda and shift the political outlook for next year's congressional elections, giving Democrats a stronger shot at recapturing control of the U.S. Senate.

It is too late to remove Moore's name from the ballot, but McConnell told reporters he was "looking at" potential write-in candidates who could mount a successful campaign. Asked if Strange might be a candidate again, he said: "We'll see."

On Twitter, Hatch said Strange was "an excellent alternative."

The special election had been a long shot for Democrats in Alabama, which has not elected a Democratic senator in a quarter century. Jones, a former federal prosecutor, was trailing by double digits in some opinion polls.

Moore, who is prone to incendiary comments on social and cultural issues, has survived controversy before. He was twice forced out of his position as chief justice, once for refusing to remove a Ten Commandments monument from the courthouse and once for defying the U.S. Supreme Court decision legalizing same-sex marriage.

He threatened to sue the Post over the weekend and said the allegations in its story were a smear campaign by his political opponents. Reuters has been unable to independently confirm any of the allegations.

While making the new allegations, Nelson showed reporters Moore's signature in her high school yearbook. She said he had offered to give her a ride home one night, then pulled the car behind the restaurant and assaulted her.

"I was terrified," she said. "I thought he was going to rape me."

Nelson said she told her sister about the attack two years afterward, and eventually told her mother and husband. She said she backed Trump for president last year and was not coming forward because of politics but because she was inspired by the women who talked to the Post.

"Their courage has inspired me to overcome my fear," she said.

The news conference was arranged by lawyer Gloria Allred, who has represented women in a number of high-profile sexual misconduct cases. Moore's campaign said Allred was trying to create a spectacle.

(Additional reporting by David Alexander and Susan Cornwell in Washington and Peter Szekely in New York; Editing by Bill Trott and Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-14

1 hour ago, webfact said:

"If he refuses to withdraw and wins, the Senate should vote to expel him, because he does not meet the ethical and moral requirements of the United States Senate," Gardner said in a statement.

Anyone else thinking double standards? Moore sexually assaults women and must resign, but Donald did the exact same thing and yet they voted him in for President? Maybe the ethical and moral requirements for that are much lower?

Edited by darksidedog

Sorry, but these 'accusers' seem to come out of the woodwork years to decades after the alleged offense, and their appearance coincides with runs for political offices. Why not come forward on a day when the guy isn't running for office?
 I don't even know who this guy is, but accusing candidates of sexual impropriety that happened decades before seems to be the new category of political smear tactics.  Politics are already a fetid, stinking swamp - let's make it worse.  

Edited by connda

The Republicans want Moore to be elected as it is still a win-win for them. Either they keep Moore as a Senator or they remove him from the Senate and the Alabama Governor just appoints another Republican to the Senate.

Moore will not drop out. It does the Republicans no good for Moore to do so. He might resign right after being appointed Senator which still has the same affect as above with the Alabama governor appointing a new Republican Senator.

I highly doubt the Republicans will give up a Senate seat at any cost. To the point they have even considered placing Sessions back as the Senator.

Republicans Are Considering Re-Appointing Jeff Sessions as Alabama Senator Instead of Roy Moore

https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2017/11/as-a-fifth-woman-accuses-roy-moore-of-sexual-misco.html

Edited by Silurian

1 hour ago, connda said:

Sorry, but these 'accusers' seem to come out of the woodwork years to decades after the alleged offense, and their appearance coincides with runs for political offices. Why not come forward on a day when the guy isn't running for office?
 I don't even know who this guy is, but accusing candidates of sexual impropriety that happened decades before seems to be the new category of political smear tactics.  Politics are already a fetid, stinking swamp - let's make it worse.  

No, they may not all have just 'come out of the woodwork', but it's just now getting the attention it deserves.   

He had enough of a history of bothering young girls to get banned from an Alabama Mall:

Roy Moore was reportedly banned from Alabama mall for bothering teen girls

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/1d451fa4-0315-3a44-9324-9da99c5ca2aa/roy-moore-was-reportedly.html

1 hour ago, connda said:

That's untrue. It was the Washington Post that pursued these women, amoung others,  when their names came out in rumours about Moore. Where was the Alabama media all these years that the rumours circulated? He will still likely win because the Bible Belt is full of hypocrites. 

48 minutes ago, pegman said:

That's untrue. It was the Washington Post that pursued these women, amoung others,  when their names came out in rumours about Moore. Where was the Alabama media all these years that the rumours circulated? He will still likely win because the Bible Belt is full of hypocrites. 

Moore will win as did Donny John last year. These voters do not care about the candidate or the candidate's moral compass. The voters see a Republican that will vote for Supreme Court judges that fit the conservative agenda and will ensure a Republican majority no matter the cost. As goes the Presidency, so goes the rest of Congress. A win at any price is still a win.

We have seen the fetid underbelly of the Republican party and it matters not to their supporters. It is sad that a lot of these supporters take the high ground with their bible thumping attitudes and yet can look the other way when it benefits them. I will never understand these types of "pick and choose" religious beliefs and attitudes.

Edited by Silurian

4 hours ago, connda said:

In answer to your question: Because it's the last chance to stop him from being elected to a very powerful position. Because the hypocrisy stinks so bad. Because the young women were humiliated and intimidated at the time. Because those women may now be mothers themselves, and are sickened by the idea (as I am) of sexual predators getting away with it. Have some empathy.

Just today, news stories report that Moore was banned from malls and the YMCA for approaching teenaged girls.

Mr. 10 Commandments running around chasing and allegedly assaulting teenage girls half his age.

He's certainly a poster boy for the moral majority, religious right, etc etc etc. Why is it the politicians and TV preachers in those camps can never seen to manage to do as they preach?

It's bad enough just based on the alleged conduct. But it's double worse when the perpetrator is one of the holier than thou brigade who spend their lives telling everyone ELSE what's moral and proper and god's will.

Another would-be Hypocrite in Chief, just like the bigger one.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

6 hours ago, LawrenceN said:

In answer to your question: Because it's the last chance to stop him from being elected to a very powerful position. Because the hypocrisy stinks so bad. Because the young women were humiliated and intimidated at the time. Because those women may now be mothers themselves, and are sickened by the idea (as I am) of sexual predators getting away with it. Have some empathy.

Just today, news stories report that Moore was banned from malls and the YMCA for approaching teenaged girls.

Simply one of many.  But some get a pass.  Especially those in positions of political power.  But the hypocrisy?  When there is ample video evidence and everyone on the opposite side of a particular identity politics meme turns a blind eye.  I know amorality when I see it.  Am I'm pretty much a political atheist: I dislike virtually all of these scumbags for the same reason.  But!  Back accusations with evidence.  

Joe Biden in my opinion is a child moslester and a sexual predator.  I rest my case.  Show me similar videos of Moore, and I'm in your camp.WCZ3tKF.gif

Edited by connda

10 hours ago, connda said:

Think about it. You are a child, you are sexually abused, you are scared to talk. Moore said to the latest one when she was a girl "I am the DA and nobody will believe you".   The thing is she did tell people, her family, her mother, her sister her friend. All poor people who cannot take on a man of power and privilege. She has remained silent for years, why should she come out with her story on a quiet day when the guy isn't running for office? If it were you, you would want to do as much damage as possible to Moore, you would want payback. What better way for payback than to tell all right NOW!

Your arguments of 'why now' are disgraceful.

It was interesting listening to the CNN anchor Don Lemon describing how he was sexually abused as a child. He was 30 years old before he could even tell his mother, and that is a confident, intelligent, strong man. Imagine for a moment being a young country girl earning a dollar an hour and receiving a threat from the man that can have you locked up. Then when he is a JUDGE, who is going to speak out then? You need to start thinking like an educated adult.

28 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Think about it. You are a child, you are sexually abused, you are scared to talk. Moore said to the latest one when she was a girl "I am the DA and nobody will believe you".   The thing is she did tell people, her family, her mother, her sister her friend. All poor people who cannot take on a man of power and privilege. She has remained silent for years, why should she come out with her story on a quiet day when the guy isn't running for office? If it were you, you would want to do as much damage as possible to Moore, you would want payback. What better way for payback than to tell all right NOW!

Your arguments of 'why now' are disgraceful.

It was interesting listening to the CNN anchor Don Lemon describing how he was sexually abused as a child. He was 30 years old before he could even tell his mother, and that is a confident, intelligent, strong man. Imagine for a moment being a young country girl earning a dollar an hour and receiving a threat from the man that can have you locked up. Then when he is a JUDGE, who is going to speak out then? You need to start thinking like an educated adult.

See my previous post - show me pictures and video evidence such as Joe Biden's predatory advances on women and children.  You're a DA?  Cool.  I've been a juror numerous times.  Convince me beyond a reasonable doubt counselor.
Otherwise - you're saying that you form your own opinions based on the court of popular opinion.  Let's discuss disgraceful?  You walk into court with preconceived notions based on press releases and hearsay?  If so, you should reassess your own choice of professions.  "Beyond a reasonable doubt", sir.  Not based on your own opinion.

Edited by connda

47 minutes ago, connda said:

Simply one of many.  But some get a pass.  Especially those in positions of political power.  But the hypocrisy?  When there is ample video evidence and everyone on the opposite side of a particular identity politics meme turns a blind eye.  I know amorality when I see it.  Am I'm pretty much a political atheist: I dislike virtually all of these scumbags for the same reason.  But!  Back accusations with evidence.  

Joe Biden in my opinion is a child moslester and a sexual predator.  I rest my case.  Show me similar videos of Moore, and I'm in your camp.WCZ3tKF.gif

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2906359/Senator-father-13-year-old-girl-says-Joe-Biden-not-creepy-awkward-swearing-photo.html

Joe Biden is a close family friend. The girl was embarrassed about all the cameras. Trust Fox news to try and use this as a defence to Moore.

Miss Coons's father, Senator Christopher Coons of Delaware, said of his daughter: 'No, she doesn't think the vice president is creepy.

'He's known my kids their whole lives. Joe was just being thoughtful.'

He said: 'I could hear him. 

'He was whispering some encouragement to her about how when he was sworn in and his own daughter Ashley was 13 and she felt awkward and uncomfortable and he was encouraging her about how to get through a day with lots of cameras and lots of folks watching.

Now if it is beyond your maturity to see the difference. This girl above was in public at a photo shoot and has known Biden all her life. (Fox have now made this girl a victim by plastering this all over the news).

In comparison, imagine a girl the same age, has her clothes taken off by a 30 year old, her breasts fondled and her hand forced to touch the mans dick.  - MOORE. Are you drawing a comparison here?

And lets not forget the woman with two independent witnesses who as a girl the same age above was forcibly raped by Trump, and a 12 year old made to give him oral sex. All witnessed by the woman who had to 'arrange them' for Trump, who despite knowing it would make her aiding and abetting such a crime was willing to come forward and testify - until Trump sent in his legal henchmen. Are you trying to draw a comparison with that and the photo above?

I love the smell of napalm desperation in the morning air.

Edited by Andaman Al

6 minutes ago, connda said:

You're a DA?  Cool.  I've been a juror numerous times.  Convince me beyond a reasonable doubt counselor.
Otherwise - you're saying that you form your own opinions based on the court of popular opinion.  Let's discuss disgraceful?  You walk into court with preconceived notions based on press releases and hearsay?  If so, you should reassess your own choice of professions.  "Beyond a reasonable doubt", sir.  Not based on your own opinion.

WHAT ARE you talking about?? Read it again!! Where did I say I am a DA? No wonder you are part of the hang em high brigade. Jeez!

12 hours ago, connda said:

I’m struggling to understand what exactly you are defending here. Should victims of abuse only come forward at a time and place convenient to the accused?

Sexual abuse is extremely traumatic. Most victims NEVER come forward.

Before you embarrass yourself further, please read the Wapo story in its entirety, at its source. Dive into the details, the multiple sourcing, and read the follow up stories.

If a background check on a person applying to be a shopping mall janitor revealed this much, that person would not be hired. Is the threshold for The United States Senate lower?

Some rather arcane inside baseball along with a nightmare scenario on how historically impactful the final resolution to this Moore mess might be. Who knew?:shock1:

How the Roy Moore scandal could help President Trump fire Robert Mueller

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/posteverything/wp/2017/11/14/how-the-roy-moore-scandal-could-help-president-trump-fire-robert-s-mueller-iii/

16 hours ago, connda said:

See my previous post - show me pictures and video evidence such as Joe Biden's predatory advances on women and children.  You're a DA?  Cool.  I've been a juror numerous times.  Convince me beyond a reasonable doubt counselor.

FYI, testimony is evidence as well. You want video? Nobody accused Moore of filming his assaults. And nobody is on trial anyway. The people of Alabama must decide on his character, and he sounded pretty slimy in the Hannity interview.

It's getting slimier.

Robocalls in Alabama using fake Jewish Washington Post reporter exploiting antisemitism and anti-Washington / mainstream media sentiment to prop up Moore. Welcome to the new south, not all that different than the old south --

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:37 AM, connda said:

All lawyers are predators as well; just in another sense of the word. Defense and Prosecutors playing golf together, going to same country clubs, playing the horses, driving fancy cars and putting on a dog and pony show for the court room judge and jury then having decided at the bar what the sentence will be before the jury returns a verdict. Bottom feeders, all.