Samkong underpass flooding just bad timing

snoop1130

Samkong underpass flooding just bad timing

Shela Riva

1510658213_1-org.jpg

Heavy rains flooded the underpass because workers are in the middle of replacing the entire drainage system, said new Phuket Highways Office Director Somwang Lohanut. Photo: Peeraphun Kongkhum

PHUKET:-- The heavy flooding of the Samkong Underpass early yesterday morning was just bad timing, the new Phuket Highways Office Director Somwang Lohanut told The Phuket News today (Nov 14).

The flooding resulted from heavy rains while the drainage and other system are being overhauled, Mr Somwang explained.

“Yesterday morning there was flooding in the Samkong underpass due to heavy rain,” Mr Somwang said.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/samkong-underpass-flooding-just-bad-timing-64696.php#wR14qbqVWrPiOADh.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-11-14

10 months of the year hardly any rain, * i know what lets do the drainage system  in the monsoon months, * its not bad timing its bloody, pathetic. or  like for example , the UK lets go out and grit the roads, its only July but you never know there might be a frost tonight

4 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

10 months of the year hardly any rain, * i know what lets do the drainage system  in the monsoon months, * its not bad timing its bloody, pathetic. or  like for example , the UK lets go out and grit the roads, its only July but you never know there might be a frost tonight

I would not call November a typical monsoon month.

7 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

So.....the sensible alternative is to do it in high season?

No, on the face of it the timing is bad. However with the underpass opening recently I don't know how much choice they had.

A few things that I don't fully understand:

“It happened because the company that built the underpass, Italian-Thai Development Co, is in the process of completely overhauling the drainage system, as well as electrical circuits for the lighting, monitoring system and other external parts of the underpass,” Mr Somwang explained.

Wasn't the Samkong underpass built by that other company that caused tremendous delays? Italian-Thai built the underpasses at Central and at the intersection between Bypass Road and Thepkrasattri Road, no?

Why do the drainage and electrical systems need a complete overhaul so short after the completed construction?

“They began the day before yesterday (on Sunday, Nov 12). The insurance contract reached the end of its two-year deadline, so they are re-installing everything as a safety measure,” he said.

I'm not sure I understand this part at all.

7 hours ago, eisfeld said:

Wasn't the Samkong underpass built by that other company that caused tremendous delays? Italian-Thai built the underpasses at Central and at the intersection between Bypass Road and Thepkrasattri Road, no?

Why do the drainage and electrical systems need a complete overhaul so short after the completed construction?

You're right, I was thinking about the wrong one.

9 hours ago, eisfeld said:

I was thinking exactly the same.

Maybe Italian Thai have become involved as the other company are totally useless. Shame they haven't changed the Chalong contractors as well.

14 hours ago, stevenl said:

I would not call November a typical monsoon month.

The monsoon is over in Phuket, but the end of the monsoon is not the end of the rainy season. As long as the monsoon trough is close by, Phuket is vulnerable to heavy thunderstorms arriving from the east.

By the way, what the Thai met office calls the "northeast monsoon" is not a monsoon. The official word for these northeasterlies is "the trade winds".

1 hour ago, aonangkrabi said:

The monsoon is over in Phuket, but the end of the monsoon is not the end of the rainy season. As long as the monsoon trough is close by, Phuket is vulnerable to heavy thunderstorms arriving from the east.

By the way, what the Thai met office calls the "northeast monsoon" is not a monsoon. The official word for these northeasterlies is "the trade winds".

I was reacting to somebody saying " i know what lets do the drainage system  in the monsoon months ".