Are you drinking more alcohol in Thailand ?

Pik

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would imagine people who retire or holiday abroad have more time on their hands and might like to spend it relaxing in a pub atmosphere where they are lightly to meet others in a similar position.

I myself gave up the booze one year before retiring to Thailand 16 years ago.

Probably, although the form of the alcohol has changed, I'm not on holiday or retired.

When we lived in Belgium my wife and I would shift a bottle of the cheap French red from the local cash and carry with dinner each evening (Madame usually only had one glass). The stuff was 4.50 Euros for three bottles and amazingly drinkable, IIRC it was called "Le Bolleux".

Now I'll have 3 cans or so of Chang with dinner (the small cans not the tall ones), maybe a couple more at the weekend. Brings a long, often stressy, work day to a close.

I gave up drinking after a really heavy Millennium beach party that had me virtually knocked out for about the next 3 days.

Strangely I didn't miss it as much as some who seem to have problems with alcohol. Was a bit irritating when the "guys" would kid me about it and try to get me to have one. But I was happy with my Coke or Sprite or whatever.

The times I really missed it was after doing some heavy sweaty work round the garden when a "cold one" would have gone down just fine. But I found a large glass of Coke with ice and added salt would give the "tang" of a cold beer but without the alcohol.

Now married with kids and all that probably couldn't afford to drink even if I wanted to. :biggrin:   

Can't say I drink any more here now than before I retired. However, I am only a social drinker; drinking only on two or three occasions a week. I do not drink at home or drink alone. Never needed it to swathe my bruised ego or take away imaginary pain. However, like most other pleasurable things, I do it with vigor and am frequently the last man standing.

2 hours ago, Crossy said:

Probably, although the form of the alcohol has changed, I'm not on holiday or retired.

When we lived in Belgium my wife and I would shift a bottle of the cheap French red from the local cash and carry with dinner each evening (Madame usually only had one glass). The stuff was 4.50 Euros for three bottles and amazingly drinkable, IIRC it was called "Le Bolleux".

Now I'll have 3 cans or so of Chang with dinner (the small cans not the tall ones), maybe a couple more at the weekend. Brings a long, often stressy, work day to a close.

It sounds like Le Dog's Bolleux.

Probably about the same.

In USA, when I was working, I used to imbibe a Sam Adams (beer) or 2 to "wind down" after work.

Here in Thailand, my routine is about the same = a beer Singha or 2 to wind down. (BTW, the german imports Keiserdom and "Bear Beer" available at Makro really hit the spot, as well)

Thai whiskey and "cheaper" Thai brews? Forgetaboutit

Wind down with (beer) brew, wake up with (strong coffee) brew.

Better living with chemistry, as I always say!

Edited by Ricky HKT
Clarification, spelling

I'm semi-retired and for first couple weeks in Thailand my beer consumption was same (high) as before; but now that I've settled in, my focus is on fitness and well being so I have cut back dramatically.  I still enjoy sitting at a beer bar and 2-3 Singha, but not everyday.  Also challenged by my wife ("ok to have fun, but not mao") to cut back.

20 minutes ago, wump said:

Funny how everyone says they drink so little in Thailand? Look around Pattaya. It looks like most (>50%) of retirees seem to drink everyday. 

Wump.  It's not even noon yet in Pats. They are all still passed out and not able to post yet!! 

33 minutes ago, wump said:

Funny how everyone says they drink so little in Thailand? Look around Pattaya. It looks like most (>50%) of retirees seem to drink everyday. 

And others keep telling in every turn that that they don't drink at all, and you shouldn't either ?

In the UK I drink Becks Blue, it is cold, wet and tastes ok but no alcohol. Hits the spot when thirsty. In a supermarket it is also dirt cheap. Coke and other sugar stuffed drinks likely do more harm than the alcohol in a beer and I would not touch the toxic 'diet' stuff. . I would drink alcohol fee beer here if I could buy it.

However alcohol free wine, yeuck, no one seems to produce a drinkable one.

Yes when first came to Thailand I drank more as it is so cheap and thats both local and imported, but now like some others I feel the need to get fit so have cut back to only special occasions but like one other after a hot and sweaty day cutting rice or digging garden beds I do miss a cold one or three.

When I first retired in Thailand about 4 years ago 

i used to drink about 3-4 large Chang's in a evening in the  house same if out to a restaurant 

about 6 months ago went for my follow up medical check had high blood pressure plus over weight 

so started going out walking in the late afternoon stopped drinking in the house have a couple of beers when out at a restaurant  maybe 2 times a month 

lost 4 kilos in weight still working on loosing more 

look forward to the afternoon walking exercise meet other people 

Don't miss the drink 

I drink a lot less here than when in the USA. The craft beers are about the same price (sometimes less when on sale) as Leo here and taste much better. I was getting 12 oz scottish ales for less than a buck a bottle. Wine is also a lot less expensive in the USA than here.