Road safety measures to be rolled out ahead of New Year holidays

webfact

Road safety measures to be rolled out ahead of New Year holidays

PNSOC601114001005801_14112017_050559.jpg

BANGKOK, 14 November 2017 (NNT) - Thailand's Ministry of Transport has sought road safety advice from the Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism (MLIT) of Japan to help prevent road accidents during the New Year holidays. 

Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith met with MLIT representatives to discuss road safety measures under a memorandum of understanding on road safety between the two countries. 

Roads and highways are expected to be crowded across the country during the holiday period. Safety measures, such as erecting speed limit signs and painting the road in red to remind drivers to slow down, will be implemented in 4 provinces including Suphanburi, Khon Kaen, Uttaradit and Phetchabun. 

The Ministry of Transport and the MLIT will jointly conduct a study on road safety and use existing technology to reduce road fatalities in Thailand.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-11-16

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blah blah blah, more twaddle from these clowns.  As if the rest of the year Thai motorists are capable of safe driving or riding and somehow their peabrains turn to porridge during this holiday period.  Yeah right you are on that scenario.

These "measures" help preciously little in preventing or at least lowering the continuous carnage on our roads as long as the average motorist has had no formal training, is ignorant of pretty much each and every traffic rule and is not held accountable by those who are supposed to enforce the law because they are always too busy extorting money.

And anyhow, why are such "measures" always only rolled out ahead of some holiday and not maintained throughout the year? Or would that be too much to ask?  

7 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Memorandum of understanding means both parties gain something from a transaction or exchange. What could Japan possibly learn from Thailand road safety!

Errr...How to NOT do things?

-----------------

43 minutes ago, webfact said:

erecting speed limit signs and painting the road in red to remind drivers to slow down

Painting roads red indeed! That one takes the cake! They're already red with blood.

Also would help if their speed limit signs were 10 times bigger than an apple pie pan, and not hidden behind the ubiquitous mango tree....And enforced fairly.

I got pulled over near Khorat once...Just an ID/driver's license check.

Of course the Kamikaze cop walked out in front of me. He checked my licence and said "Khap khun kap".

My wife was aghast he didn't clip me for 200 baht, even though I'd done nothing wrong. She said, "He's a nice policeman".

She'd never seen an honest cop before.

16 minutes ago, jerojero said:

Memorandum of understanding means both parties gain something from a transaction or exchange. What could Japan possibly learn from Thailand road safety!

Sent from my SM-G950W using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Japan could learn what being number 1 in road fatalities actually looks like. Come on this has to be spun somehow. 

Proactive preventive policing is the answer rather than waiting for something to happen................like an accident, that is what is missing in Thailand, Primary task of Police work is to prevent people breaking the law not just dealing with people after the event, this is primarily what is wrong with Thailand's roads - people break the law because they know they can, speeding - drunk driving - usage of smart devices while driving, when Thailand police actively proactively address these behaviors and prosecute offenders only then will there be an improvement on Thailand's roads, but it is hard work and costs money

48 minutes ago, Kyri said:

Why go to Japan for advice ? Let the cops do their job or nothing will change.

Might be a way of saying sorry for the recent deaths of those citizens of yours in the minivan, can you guy help us, our roads are out of control, and most of our cops are more interesting in putting cash in their pockets.

Edited by 4MyEgo

20 minutes ago, smedly said:

Proactive preventive policing is the answer rather than waiting for something to happen................like an accident, that is what is missing in Thailand, Primary task of Police work is to prevent people breaking the law not just dealing with people after the event, this is primarily what is wrong with Thailand's roads - people break the law because they know they can, speeding - drunk driving - usage of smart devices while driving, when Thailand police actively proactively address these behaviors and prosecute offenders only then will there be an improvement on Thailand's roads, but it is hard work and costs money

Your not insinuating that they:

Implement a demerit system where they loose points on their licenses, i.e. from a total of 12 points, any point lost takes 3 years to be reinstated, one offence of no seat belt or helmet equals 3 points and a fine, speeding over 15 kmph is 6 points with a heavy fine, over 45 kmph equals loss of license for a year and heavier fine. 

Put speed cameras in place every kilometre or two in busy built up areas

Have more highway patrol cars on the roads with speed detectors on the side of the car facing the oncoming traffic

Have police out on the roads using radars to detect and stop speeding motorists 

Mobile breath testing vehicles at road checks, anyone smelling of alcohol gets tested straight away, fined, and license cancelled immediately for a year.

I could go on and on and on, but I know you aren't insinuating any of the above because we would both be considered dreamers 555

Edited by 4MyEgo

I ride a motorbike most days. I've seen standards drop and drop. Thai drivers fail to drive correctly on so many levels. I've taken to try to prevent accidents and people getting hurt in my own small way. Yesterday. Chap had his helmet on the floor boards of his Fino. Advised him to put it on. Two girls on a bike. Rider consistently forgot to cancel indicator. Told her. Trouble is, how long till someone punches me? At least I'll be wearing my helmet ...

The Ministry of Transport and the MLIT will jointly conduct a study on road safety and use existing technology to reduce road fatalities in Thailand.

Existing technology to reduce road fatalities in Thailand? Why was that never used before? The mind boggles. 

Rearrange these words to make a well known saying , horse, dead, flogging .a.

Thailand could advise from the man in the moon about road safety , it will not change anything they will still be 300 + people dying on Thai roads over the new year,thay will never learn,untill the Thai police get up and do their jobs.

Erecting speed signs waste  of time , just something else for a driver to hit.

Ps.I know yet another negative post about LOS, but watching TV  every morning and seeing the mangled wrecks  of what use to be a car/pickup, most caused by driving to fast, something must be done, and soon.

44 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

I ride a motorbike most days. I've seen standards drop and drop. Thai drivers fail to drive correctly on so many levels. I've taken to try to prevent accidents and people getting hurt in my own small way. Yesterday. Chap had his helmet on the floor boards of his Fino. Advised him to put it on. Two girls on a bike. Rider consistently forgot to cancel indicator. Told her. Trouble is, how long till someone punches me? At least I'll be wearing my helmet ...

I'm sure the helmet will protect your head! this is where I have a problem with the "must wear helmet brigade" they proudly pronounce they always wear a helmet! while riding in flip flops, shorts and a T shirt! the helmet wont save your rest of your body! or is are they non fatal areas! Long!, long way to go before safety is even understood in this country & even further away is having a functioning Police force! :shock1:

56 minutes ago, 01322521959 said:

If you only get punched you will have got off lightly as you have more chance in the long run of being stabbed or shot !