Thai media says three levels of authority will be able to fine smokers on Thai beaches

webfact

Am all in favour of banning smoking on the beaches - am sick and tired of seeing disgarded cigarette butts strewn around in the sand - but I wonder which is the bigger eyesore: 1) cigarette butts 2) "stickers and leaflets" dumped on the beach because there are no bins or 3) all the signs they're going to put up? 

I don't like cigarette butts on the beach either. There again I am even less of a fan of the foul soup of turds, condoms and dead fish which bob amongst the gentle waves lapping at our soon to be smoke free and lucrative beaches.
There again, you can't fine a turd. Moreover, much better to make your name as a crusader against filthy tourists (falangs, 'cos those are the ones they will go for) smoking on beaches than to be known as "Mr Turd Encrusted Shoreline!"

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, upena said:

No littering would be a better campaign. Tons of bottles and plastic bags do far more damage than cigarette butts.

All have to be fined for litter

and given garbage bags to fill as penalty with stiff fines 

14 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

No sympathy for the filthy smokers

have been littering the world for years 

i have picked up fag ends daily on the 20 meter stretch in front of my property 

never one smoker owned up

fine them and give them a 200 bag to fill with tab ends .

only justice for their careless littering 

But the unacceptable act is littering, yet they've banned smoking.  It's a little like banning driving because some idiots are a menace behind the wheel.  Or swimming, because a few people drown each year.

Come down like a hammer on littering.  And bad driving.  Don't just ban it for everyone.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, Thechook said:

Millions of tourists coming so they had better start building more prisons or bank vaults

Oh! No problem. The ruling fraction has already minimized the amount of money left in the vaults.
Here a strict line is going to be used, which is the fine of 100 000 Bath. Soon another submarine comes to mind.

Thailand must be a very happy and prosperous country if they don't have any other political or social problems to discuss!

I am more worried about all the plastic bags, broken glass, and sewage in the sea. That's why I hardly go to the beach in Thailand anymore, not because  of a few cigarette butts here and there.

10 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

Glad to see you are giving a 20m area for smokers may consider starting . 

1 hour ago, DavisH said:

A large proportion of Europeans smoke. I' sure they will be thrilled with these new rules. 

And how exactly does smoking affect health in an open area, especially on a beach? Don't tell me it's about littering....the beaches here are a  mess as it is. 

Let's try 100K fines for not wearing a helmet on a bike first....surely vehicular accidents cause much more death and disablement in this country (and not tourists smoking on beaches).  

I suppose if you put within the context of getting a 10 year jail sentence for pressing like on Facebook, it doesn't sound that mad.  

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Thailand must be a very happy and prosperous country if they don't have any other political or social problems to discuss!

1. Discuss political issues is not allowed under the current government.

2. Social problems are swept under the carpet or locked in the closet.

3 hours ago, djayz said:

Am all in favour of banning smoking on the beaches - am sick and tired of seeing disgarded cigarette butts strewn around in the sand - but I wonder which is the bigger eyesore: 1) cigarette butts 2) "stickers and leaflets" dumped on the beach because there are no bins or 3) all the signs they're going to put up? 

Ideal place to put the big signs would be on the telegraph poles at X roads to restrict or block motorists line of sight when turning making sure you can't see the scooters coming from the right or left on the wrong side of the road.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

Only 3 levels ???? nah, make it 10 levels, and throw in few ' crackdowns'

and couple of ' swoops' and 'blitzes' just to make sure that god forbid,

there will no smoking on the beach...way to go Thailand.....

Meanwhile-

THAILAND: According to the ministry of the environment, the country's 24 coastal provinces produce around 10 million tons of waste a year, of which ten percent land in the sea.

I guess of the three persons of authority in charge of this minor problem, one may be on sick leave, one on an inactive post, and another stuck in traffic.

18 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

Sure, a small fine is reasonable but a jail term is certainly not. I quit smoking years ago and also don't like being around second hand smoke anymore, but I think you're getting a bit high and mighty referring to them as "filthy".  There are far worse things one can do than smoke. 

7 minutes ago, Anythingleft? said:

Who are the three levels authorized to make the fines? RTP, army and?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Stay on the ball.

Daily News reported that local authorities, tesakit officers and tourist police will be able to arrest people for smoking.

So no army arrests.

This could turn out to be interesting, the country where the most visitors come from is China, Chinese like to smoke - a lot - anywhere, in China it is a daily fight to stop people smoking in undesignated areas, they are not going to take kindly to be told to put out their smokes on the beach!! throw in the language barrier, should be fun trying to enforce a fine, no matter what level of authority they have!

Edited by CGW

Yep...fine the smokers and throw them in jail.....but keep dumping raw sewerage and god knows what else into the ocean/beaches...!!!...it's the officials in charge of these towns/beach resorts who should be fined and jailed for letting the pollution ruin once beautiful pristine beaches.

"Meanwhile in Hua Hin tents have been set up for smokers in two locations - near the Centara Grand and in the area near the ferry in Hua Don."

I see sand which means they are on the Beach??? I think  these tents are a trap to easily catch those murderous criminal tourists having a smoke so the coppers do not have to walk to far up the beach? LMAO at Thai justice and legal  priorities. Saves going to USA Disneyland. It all happens here live.

4 hours ago, djayz said:

I am sick of  7-11 plastic carrier bags and straws, maybe they should ban 7-11, help with the obesity problem too.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai authorities are pushing ahead with plans to ban smoking from 24 Thai beaches with jail terms of one year or 100,000 baht fines - or both - in place from February 1st.

Meanwhile, more serious forms of water and air pollution are ignored, road carnage is on the increase, and law enforcement is all but non-existent. The Thai government really knows how to set their priorities! 

Hey China - got any more used subs for sale?