Swede busted for selling chewing tobacco without work permit

Rimmer

6 hours ago, Naamblar2014 said:

Thai love Thai

Foreigners don't love foreigners

Thais have that going for them.

Foreign snitches should be ashamed

Thai love Thai? 

I don't know how long you stay in Thailand, but Thai definitely do not love Thai! Most Thai love foreigners more than Thais. I'm not talking about bg's loving foreigners or the Thai and foreigners residing in the tourist areas. I'm talking about foreigners working and integrated in Thailand.

One look during driving a car in a busy area and you will know that most Thais do not care for other Thais. That's when their real personalities come into play. 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has no work permit and (apparently) no license to sell tobacco products, and it’s a good bet he imported  the product illegally. 

I think he he’s a criminal and should be deported. 

As as far as the informant, the gut probably pissed him off.

17 hours ago, smx1313 said:

I recall reading about your question on news story on Thaivisa several years ago.

Thai police would go to internet cafes (remember those?), round up all the foreigners and check what they were doing on the computer.

They were specifically looking for ebayers selling Thai goods overseas, travel writers, remote workers, poker players, programers, any kind of income earning activity done online.

It was all considered work.

I don’t recall ever reading about how it all resolved, but expats were indeed being arrested, and it seemed to me mostly in Chang Mai. 

Around that same time the police issued public statements directing postal workers to look out for and report suspicious mailing activity by foreigners.  Things like showing up a few times a week for months with loads of packages to mail out.

That last one was on my radar.

I had a friend who bought in Pratunam and sold on eBay. I would help him carry large bags of packages to the PO in Kao San.

I eventually quit helping my friend with that. Too risky.

Thousand of foreigners send goods from Thailand and nobody cares at post office. Ridiculous.

What happened in Chiangmai il that the top of the rats apologized and foreigners were just sent back home.

Somebody scare to work online or even send goods by post from any country in the world should stay home. Ridiculous.

2 hours ago, balo said:

Not the same thing, if you have business outside the kingdom and communicate on your computer with someone there , you're a digital nomad and are not breaking any laws in Thailand. This guy was selling products in Thailand , to customers in Thailand, completely different.
I am a digital nomad myself, and I am not afraid of any problems.

You may not be afraid.  That is your choice.  But taking videos and pictures and making videos while in Thailand and then selling them abroad is clearly a business.  The laws are far from clear on this whole digital nomad thing.  Most do not have a proper long stay visa for what they are doing.  The whole working and work permit issue is far from decided.  You are working in Thailand.  You are not simply managing your investment portfolio that is maintained in your home country

2 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

You may not be afraid.  That is your choice.  But taking videos and pictures and making videos while in Thailand and then selling them abroad is clearly a business.  The laws are far from clear on this whole digital nomad thing.  Most do not have a proper long stay visa for what they are doing.  The whole working and work permit issue is far from decided.  You are working in Thailand.  You are not simply managing your investment portfolio that is maintained in your home country

same like buying stuff in Thailand and send it abroad. Doesn't mind into which account buyers pay. You ACT out of Thailand and this is . . well we could let this thread float further and further  . . without any outcome

The top brass in the RTP should rather hire farang informants to expose their own corrupt apples below the food chain !!....The results may get scary but it may put down more then one corrupt chap in brown to try any further hanky panky with farangs, not knowing who could be an informant or not....positive discrimination that would be!!...Feel free to joke and laugh on this idea, some comments could be fun.... but you never know - one decent honest chap on the top and things change practically overnight !

Edited by observer90210

7 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

That might help me to quit smoking. I was never so close, really hate every cigarette, but can't just stop. 

I know a guy who smokes two packs a night and he doesn't stop. 

I stopped on 28th Feb this year, I had had a nasty cold and my chest was in a terrible mess, I was smoking at least 2 packs a day, I asked my Mrs to get me Nicotine patches from Fascino, 1 week on the strongest, 1 week on the middling ones and 2 weeks on the weakest ones did the trick, I still feel like I need a smoke especially when I get stressed (check my PC virus thread :biggrin: ) but so far so good so go for it :thumbsup:

Back on thread, I have tried Snuff & Chewing baccy, don't like either :biggrin:

11 hours ago, bkkenglish said:

I wonder if the foreign police informant had a Work Permit?

The foreigner the cops used to bust a friend of mine for selling the same products as in the OP didn't have a WP and was probably the reason he was in the Nongplalai jail in the first place. I understand that locally banged-up foreigners with lack of financial resources are 'volunteered' to 'grass up a farang' in order to avoid transfer to IDC among other things.

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

You may not be afraid.  That is your choice.  But taking videos and pictures and making videos while in Thailand and then selling them abroad is clearly a business. 

I am not talking about taking vidoees in Thailand and publishing it online , that sounds like work  in Thailand to me. 

No , most of us work for international companies in EU , which means daily communication by e-mail and Skype , sometimes also Facebook .  It also means that you still kept your home address , your bank account and tax number in your home country and it does not involve Thailand in any way . Except that I happen to stay here on retirement . I am also able to leave Thailand at any time and at least twice a year I do so . 

Any money transaction into Thailand can be tracked from my personal account , and are completely legal .    I contribute to the Thai economy by spending my money here , just like any retired pensioner who receive their pension from abroad, 

Is it clearer for you now ?  I know this topic has been discussed to death , and people have very strong opinions about it. But I think its mostly young generation vs old generation who do not understand the "online way of life" . 

Edited by balo

45 minutes ago, wakeupplease said:

Oh my they have found time to do a sting on a farang and chewing tobacco yet leave the worlds death roads to police themselves, says it all.

This statement is made worldwide to disparage the work of any law enforcement. 

By this extremely basic reasoning all petty or low end crime should be ignored to totally concentrate on rapes and murders. 

There’s different division of law enforcement for a reason. That and who is to decide what level of crime is considered low enough on the ‘serious scale’  to be ignored and where is the point that something becomes serious enough to throw all their resources at?

I am retired also, On some of my social media I show as retired but I have a degree in photography. 

Occasionally I am contacted by people asking me how much I want to photograph them. I always respond, I am not allowed to work here. When I do take photos It is purely as a hobby, not for profit. I seldom hear from them again. 

I imagine they were trying to set me up. That ain't happenin. 

Edited by Grumpy Duck
Oopsie

33 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I am retired also, On some of my social media I show as retired but I have a degree in photography. 

Occasionally I am contacted by people asking me how much I want to photograph them. I always respond, I am not allowed to work here. When I do take photos It is purely as a hobby, not for profit. I seldom hear from them again. 

Must be dreadful to live with such fear while missing out on the chance to make some money.  

Stop being daft and take the damn photos as your hobby, then have the person buy you some beers as your friend.   

54 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Must be dreadful to live with such fear while missing out on the chance to make some money.  

Stop being daft and take the damn photos as your hobby, then have the person buy you some beers as your friend.   

I have done some work, (actually a lot) as a hobby, never for a price, or any type trade. Their is little doubt in my mind the people offering to pay for photos, then disappearing when I offer to do for free as a hobby are not people I care to see, I suspect BIB. 

I suspect chewing tobacco is not popular here. The guy mentioned here may have found an outlet and illegally exploited it. Now paying the price. (Oh I don't drink beer or go to bars). 

2 hours ago, Grumpy Duck said:

Set you up? You think to much.They were just being cheap.

50 minutes ago, Grumpy Duck said:

I have done some work, (actually a lot) as a hobby, never for a price, or any type trade. Their is little doubt in my mind the people offering to pay for photos, then disappearing when I offer to do for free as a hobby are not people I care to see, I suspect BIB. 

I suspect chewing tobacco is not popular here. The guy mentioned here may have found an outlet and illegally exploited it. Now paying the price. (Oh I don't drink beer or go to bars). 

Chewing tobacco is illegal here and the sources keep a low-profile and very much a word-of-mouth approach to sales. My friend was busted when a guy he'd never seen before (not a regular customer) came in to buy some, mid-morning. He sensed this guy was a bit edgy compared to the usual customers. After the money changed hands, the cops waltzed in and banged him up for the best part of a day. He doesn't know or care if he was set up; life's too short to try and second guess dodgy farangs and wonder which Thai you p!ssed off. Needless to say, he's not selling it any more.

It is popular with Scandihooligans and Seppo's.  

Rules are rules I just wish they would apply them to the dangerous drivers on the road Sorry still shaking went for my walk again this morning  and have to drive the Park at 5 still dark  I nearly hit 2 motor bike riders with no lights on They were riding side by side in the middle of the road I did not see them till i got close Just wanted to stop the car grab a baseball bat and hit the buggers  My nerves were shattered I dont want to kill anyone Stupid cops why cant u do your job? Oh thats right they dont start work till till 7 The Thai drivers know that

Bizarre and infantile behavior on the part of the Thai authorities. This government seems to have half way decent intentions, but due to the astonishing lack of talent and intelligence in the administration, nearly always gets it wrong in the end. 

Little P. - Moving Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Bizarre and infantile behavior on the part of the Thai authorities. This government seems to have half way decent intentions, but due to the astonishing lack of talent and intelligence in the administration, nearly always gets it wrong in the end. 

Little P. - Moving Thailand backwards at an astonishing and alarming pace.

I see no reason to demean the authorities in this case.  He was violating is visa, he was operating a business with physical presence in Thailand and they had reports of it that they followed up.  Many on here have indicated that they don't like the corruption in Thailand -- well this is the exact result that you would get with a professional police force -- enforcing the law.

18 hours ago, seancbk said:

No-one was charged.   The police had been told they were working for companies in Thailand.  When it was shown they were working online and not being paid by a Thai company they were all released. 

Wow! I'm amazed you had such great recall of the incident! Thank you. I'm glad you cleared it up.

2 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I see no reason to demean the authorities in this case.  He was violating is visa, he was operating a business with physical presence in Thailand and they had reports of it that they followed up.  Many on here have indicated that they don't like the corruption in Thailand -- well this is the exact result that you would get with a professional police force -- enforcing the law.

I think what bothers alot of us here, is the incredibly selective enforcement of the law, and the appearance of a substantial degree of xenophobia. And what kind of volume was this guy generating? A few pouches here and there. Sounds more like a hobby to me.

I think what bothers alot of us here, is the incredibly selective enforcement of the law, and the appearance of a substantial degree of xenophobia. And what kind of volume was this guy generating? A few pouches here and there. Sounds more like a hobby to me.

Fishing is a hobby. Importing and distributing illegal substances is a crime.

I imagine the same guys saying this moron should get a pass are the same guys bleeting on about the the lack of enforcement of the laws they like.

6 minutes ago, mogandave said:

Fishing is a hobby. Importing and distributing illegal substances is a crime.

I imagine the same guys saying this moron should get a pass are the same guys bleeting on about the the lack of enforcement of the laws they like.

And why is this substance illegal? Because of the government monopoly on tobacco, do you think?

And why is this substance illegal? Because of the government monopoly on tobacco, do you think?

Why is opium illegal?

Why is jay-walking illegal?

Why do tourists only get a 90 day visa?

What difference does it make why something is illegal? That you disagree with a law does not excuse breaking it.

i think they should round up all those foreign grasses who are thinking they are police when they are just little rats. then once rounded up, throw them in the andaman sea far from shore and take bets on which, if any, of the old fat bored scum bags make it to shore. that's just my thoughts. sorry 555