Swede busted for selling chewing tobacco without work permit

Rimmer

4 hours ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I see no reason to demean the authorities in this case.  He was violating is visa, he was operating a business with physical presence in Thailand and they had reports of it that they followed up.  Many on here have indicated that they don't like the corruption in Thailand -- well this is the exact result that you would get with a professional police force -- enforcing the law.

So u are saying that the RTP are unprofessional Shake on it mate i agree with you Now lets see this magnificent police force take charge on enforcing the law on the roads:cheesy: Oops that means they have to get off their backsides Carry on 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I think what bothers alot of us here, is the incredibly selective enforcement of the law, and the appearance of a substantial degree of xenophobia. And what kind of volume was this guy generating? A few pouches here and there. Sounds more like a hobby to me.

It's a strategy that is often applied to make an example of someone.  Generally, there is a heavy penalty.  Different variations involve teachers working without a permit, and bringing an ecigarette in to the country.  Next month, someone might be caught doing the same and just be fined a token amount.  There is no rhyme or reason- the police know that uncertainty causes a great deal of insecurity.

It's a strategy that is often applied to make an example of someone.  Generally, there is a heavy penalty.  Different variations involve teachers working without a permit, and bringing an ecigarette in to the country.  Next month, someone might be caught doing the same and just be fined a token amount.  There is no rhyme or reason- the police know that uncertainty causes a great deal of insecurity.

Yes, as a rule, criminal justice systems are not supposed to be designed to punish people, but rather to influence people to abide the law.

It is not fair to lawful citizens, that others are allow to break the law without consequence.

Like  most things in Thailand , follow the money

I am sure if this guy had been selling Swedish meatballs or chewing gum there would have been no investigation or sting, but when you mess with monopolies here in Thailand,  you are asking for trouble

And the tobacco monopoly in Thailand will not be bridged by any individual, Thai or foreign 

18 hours ago, mommysboy said:

And that very insecurity you refer to is the franchise itself. 

Like  most things in Thailand , follow the money

I am sure if this guy had been selling Swedish meatballs or chewing gum there would have been no investigation or sting, but when you mess with monopolies here in Thailand,  you are asking for trouble

And the tobacco monopoly in Thailand will not be bridged by any individual, Thai or foreign 

Are meatballs and chewing gum illegal?

I bet if you got stopped coming through customs with a couple suitcases full of gum, and it were determined you were selling it online without a license ad or work permit it would not go well for you.

Is the “tobacco monopoly” selling chew? If not, how does this interfere with their business? Are people trying to roll cigarettes from chew?

I’m guessing disallowing smoking in bars, restaurants and on the beach cuts more into the tobacco monopoly’s margin than some moron with a suitcase full of chew. Why does the all-powerful, Evil tobacco monopoly do something about that?

On 11/18/2017 at 7:25 AM, Happy enough said:

i think they should round up all those foreign grasses who are thinking they are police when they are just little rats. then once rounded up, throw them in the andaman sea far from shore and take bets on which, if any, of the old fat bored scum bags make it to shore. that's just my thoughts. sorry 555

Are you talking about the Rohingya, if so they have been doing that for years.

On 11/18/2017 at 2:25 PM, Happy enough said:

i think they should round up all those foreign grasses who are thinking they are police when they are just little rats. then once rounded up, throw them in the andaman sea far from shore and take bets on which, if any, of the old fat bored scum bags make it to shore. that's just my thoughts. sorry 555

Not just a thought. 

A great thought. 

I don't know why you are sorry. 

The old guy wasn't hurting anyone. 

It was a nasty thing to do and totally uncalled for. 

How does that little tattle sleep. 

Shame shame shame. 

• 2 weeks later...