SURVEY: Traffic deaths--Will the gov't take action?

Scott

SURVEY: Traffic deaths--Will the gov't take action?  

163 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

By installing more and more cameras to catch red-light-runners and speeding cars, the Thai police could make heaps of money, and with that money improve road safety Just imagine that there are 344 policemen on duty per capita in the country and after six in the evening you see hardly any one. In Germany there are 290 policemen per 100.000 folks, and you cannot escape them. There are present rock around the clock, and you do not find them in cafés or restaurants during their working hours. There is something wrong with the attitude of the Thai police, as well with Thai drivers/riders. It is their "mai-pen-rai" stand, or "I don't care" attitude, towards everything.

Woeful driving standards and attitudes, along with a police force that's largely invisible and wholly disrespected; until each of these ills is cured, the carnage will continue. Men - since they are the predominant troublemakers - will continue to drive, either untrained, unlicensed, under the influence and with the childish arrogance that comes from the "look at my shiny new, black Chevy . . . or Isuzu . . . or Nissan that can do 160 kph, no messing" approach to driving and what, for men of most other nations, is a skill set to be proud of. Until this irresponsible - suicidal - 'Lewis Hamilton' mind-set can be replaced by genuine driver-pride, the carnage will continue.

The Interior Minister and the Police chief - both Generals, sadly - have a massive task that will only show the slightest signs of being addressed when they and their hundreds of thousands of officers get off their bottoms and start to present an image of driving law enforcement. It must be done and done now - this week-not next week - if these awful news-clips are to stop being an almost daily thing.

OK, rant over. I'm a fantastic driver, of course . . . proud of it, too.

Edited by Ossy
meaning

Yes, the gov't will talk about it, and either come up with some ridiculous ideas that won't have any positive affect at all or some great ideas that they wont bother to enforce, but based on statistics, it's much more likely its only going to be a 5-day crackdown to collect some bribes.

4 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Prevention is better than cure. 

HOW and WHO is going to prevent an accident??

When out driving an accident could happen at anytime...........there are NOT ENOUGH POLICE to enforce laws.

And no one can re programme a Thai brain....one which thinks HE/HER can drive.....

The one thing that stands out is the speeding 

never know why people are in a such a rush which endangers others on the road

we could go on about the Inns and Outs 

of all the problems drink ect 

nothing will change until the traffic police start enforcing the laws heavier fines 

jail ect 

1 hour ago, garbolino said:

HOW and WHO is going to prevent an accident??

When out driving an accident could happen at anytime...........there are NOT ENOUGH POLICE to enforce laws.

And no one can re programme a Thai brain....one which thinks HE/HER can drive.....

You have to be kidding! There are 230,000 of the dozy sods, just waiting to put down their FaceBook searches and snap into action. Yes, 230,000 . . . that's about one cop for every 250 people and I'd say that was a pretty high policing ratio, especially when it works out at 32,000 of the gun-toting porkies, just 'looking after' Bangkok, alone . . . and look what a good job they AREN'T DOING, there.

Unfortunately the Government actually needs the will and desire to change, regardless of however unpopular this will make them. Silly little initiatives that blossom and wilt very quickly will never solve the issues. The Thais are blessed with some of the best roads in Asia and yet, one of the biggest flaws is the U-turn system and the lack of correctly designed and built entrance and exits to main roads and motorways.

I believe they need to start over with a full and open communication with the public, videos released on TV of the carnage they are causing, communications that set clear timetables and also the complete recruitment of a traffic policing section that is not controlled regionally and is well paid and incorrupt. Enforcement is alas, just one of the issues, they also need to ensure a much improved training and driving licence system. There is so much that needs improvement that it a very strong will, drive and determination is required to see it through. When the problem is very big, it should be broken into smaller manageable bites that have a common objective and combine for the overall. The longer the lawlessness persists the harder it becomes to change.

2 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

By installing more and more cameras to catch red-light-runners and speeding cars, the Thai police could make heaps of money, and with that money improve road safety Just imagine that there are 344 policemen on duty per capita in the country and after six in the evening you see hardly any one. In Germany there are 290 policemen per 100.000 folks, and you cannot escape them. There are present rock around the clock, and you do not find them in cafés or restaurants during their working hours. There is something wrong with the attitude of the Thai police, as well with Thai drivers/riders. It is their "mai-pen-rai" stand, or "I don't care" attitude, towards everything.

There certainly were a bunch in Pattaya Roads today, about 50 closing off roads, re-directing traffic, had to get out of the Song Teaw and walk because it was stuck in traffic - last tme I saw that many police in one place was during the Cremation ceremony march.

2 hours ago, Felt 35 said:

Positive steps to reduce the number of road accidents will mean that many of the "law makers" will loose money. so no.

I don't follow your logic. There's a cash cow out on the highways just waiting to be milked and I wouldn't have a problem with that. If they start raking in fines for bad driving - accidents will obviously go down. A couple of 500 baht fines for speeding or passing on a double line and people will start to change their habits.

8 hours ago, Samui Bodoh said:

The people who could affect the daily carnage on Thai roads are the police.

But, they don't give a rat's ass unless it is profitable to them in some way.

Nuff' said

Disagree entirely. The problem is far too big for the Police to control.

The problem is that Thai mentality runs against them from day 1. Me first. 

No training, no licences, no helmets, absolutely no clue as to "The rules of the Road" 

The government needs to introduce education at school level. Make them understand what's going to happen if I drive a 3 tonne truck through their legs. 

True the Police pay their part by being as useful as a chocolate teapot but frankly they don't stand a chance.

I can hardly hold myself as an example. Nieces 4, Bikes 4 ,Helmets 0, Licences 0, Insurance 2 , Major accidents 1. Lessons learned 0.

We need Legislation to drive Regulation

There cannot be change- it requires a completely different mindset and how do they manage that?

Education, ad campaigns, stricter enforcement  (well- ANY enforcement!) and stronger punishments would barely scratch the surface. When parents see nothing wrong with their pre-teen kids tearing around on motorbikes its an impossible task.

Hopefully over time natural selection will cull out a lot of poor drivers- unfortunately its the innocents that they kill and injure (and the knock on for their families) along the way who are the victims.

5 hours ago, fxe1200 said:

It doesn't work. Cameras were installed in 5 blackspots in Phuket. Not only did they not budget for the paper to print the (thousands) of tickets they made the fatal error of telling people!  Cops sit at the lights by one location but never stop the locals as they are scared of 'powerful people'- it's complete BS.

Situation normal now- no helmets, blowing off red traffic signals and speeding just as before.

Not telling people that there were no tickets would have still been a deterrent.

Mind you someone will have received a nice kickback from the camera installation so in Thai eyes that's OK.

Another thing that needs work in Thailand regarding the

pitiful traffic stats is Auto Insurance

The way it stands now they insure the vehicle.

That insurance even goes with the vehicle if any remains & vehicle is sold

They need to rate drivers as they do in any country.

You have a bad record your insurance goes up

You have a bad enough record you cannot buy insurance/ You cannot drive period.

22 hours ago, mania said:

It will not improve for a long time to come.

First realize how many Thai's drive with no license at all

Next realize many with licenses buy them like many things in Thailand due to under the table payment tradition

Besides cameras mailing out tickets for infractions recorded there is very little cops can do

as they are not mobile to enforce traffic laws. Aside from silly traffic blocks for helmets check etc. (quick income for themselves)

Next consider  if the current crop of corrupt police did  in fact get mobilized & allowed to

pull over anyone they deem needing a ticket...If you have lived in Thailand enough years can you imagine???

No it is a long road to safer Thai roads & needs to start at the very beginning IMO

Real drivers ed

Real testing & licensing

Real Police department, there to serve Thailand not themselves

Last but not least Thai people that give a F#@$ about the value of human life other than their own.

Face it the Thai drivers have a "me first" attitude & it will not change anytime soon

Look at the latest doctor dragging the security guard into a coma

Look at the high rates of hit & run

Or even when the known killers are never prosecuted

It is a long road indeed to safe Thai roads

This is why Thailand is now #1 in the world as most deadly roads

Last but not least Thai people that give a F#@$ about the value of human life other than their own.

I have to question whether Thais even give a rip about their own lives.  The absolute perfect example are the motorcycles who will drive out from the left and onto a road without even looking to the right to see if there is any oncoming traffic.  No doubt car drivers do the same, but with the motorcycle drivers you can watch their heads.  The shear number who do not look is amazing!  I'd say that with those drivers, the feeling that road accidents are a matter of fate is more like 100%, and no doubt they feel like a protected species and are covered with amulets.

I recall back in 1999 on my first visit, an older US gent that was associated with my company had me over for dinner & drinks. He'd been in Thailand 20+ years by then.

He lived in an area WAAAY off Phonyothin, somewhat near the Ari BTS = no taxis around.

I mentioned maybe he wouldn't mind getting me back to my hotel before we got too far down the Jack Daniels  bottle were working on.

He said "Pfff! Over here, it HELPS to drink and drive!"

His wife got me home.

This Government will launch again several "measures" and promise to tackle the number of accidents just before the elections to show that they are doing something.
But nothing will happen and the number of accidents will even increase.
The ONLY way to stop this carnage, is to sack the whole corrupt "ROYAL" police corps and let the Military handle the security of the traffic.
The traffic police needs to be separated from the other police and should be monitored 24/24 hours for corruption.
No "inactive" jobs if found guilty of corruption.
Corrupt police shall be send straight to the south of Thailand.

I recommend a "Red Flag Act", e.g.

Max speed 2mph urban, 4mph rural;

Person carrying a red flag to walk in front to warn the public.

(per the UK Locomotive Act 1865).

Not that it would make any difference, given that all laws are ignored anyway.

Ah yes! There's your answer, obey and enforce current laws.

Will the Government take action?

No. Not in a month of Sundays.

Those at whose behest they govern are not affected and therefore simply don't care.

The police are content (it pays them) to allow things to continue as they do.

A content police force, concentrating on lining their own pockets is one less rival power base to worry the current regime.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 19/11/2017 at 3:13 PM, marquis22 said:

I just cannot see the majority of the population adopting safe driving laws like:

1 no passengers in the back of utes

2 no more than one pillion passenger on motorbikes, especially kids.

3 wearing helmets all the time, not just between 9 - 5 pm when the cops only have roadside stops.

4 speed limits

5 .05 alcohol limit

I forgot one:  not being allowed to sit atop a 10 metre high load on a truck 

As I read the questions and before I cast my vote I knew which would be the leading selection, a sort of "No Brainer" really.

I really wish that someone in authority would take up the challenge and tackle this problem head on, every time I go out in the car or the Mrs goes home for a couple of days I worry, not about mine or my Mrs driving abilities but the total lack of respect for fellow road users that the Thais display when behind the wheel.

Only the other week we were coming back from a weekend away, I was doing 110 kph on the 7 and had a BMW literally inches from my rear bumper, I was overtaking a very long line of traffic in the middle lane but the clown wanted to get past me,  they have no idea of road craft.

Edited by Golden Triangle

On 19-11-2017 at 10:08 AM, klauskunkel said:

No. It's karma, which is preordained and can't be thwarted. It's also the best excuse for doing nothing.

Yes but then it is also karma if you get a ticket!!!!!

If only the police would do their job!!

On ‎19‎.‎11‎.‎2017 at 5:07 PM, whaleboneman said:

I don't follow your logic. There's a cash cow out on the highways just waiting to be milked and I wouldn't have a problem with that. If they start raking in fines for bad driving - accidents will obviously go down. A couple of 500 baht fines for speeding or passing on a double line and people will start to change their habits.

Well I would love to own or have shares in both some hospitals and a vehicle manufacture / dealer here. Btw, who pockets and where do most of "the cash cow fines" end up...