Excise police visited GF and want repayment of 'first time car buyer' payout

petesc55

Long story, and not sure I have all the details, or have them right.

The GF in question is divorced, in her 50's, and I've spent 2 weeks with her 4 times in the last few years.

(I'm still working in the US)

My GF had a previous farang BF, and they bought a new car under her name.  He made the payments.  (until he died)

After he died she could not keep up the payments, and 'gave it back'.   

I did not know about the 'first time buyer' rebate until today.  I'm not sure of how long she had the car, or how many payments were made.

She spent the rebate money to survive.   (she told me today)

Last night she told me the excise police visited her home,  and she actually showed me some video of her standing next to a cop in the  appropriate uniform.  (who filmed, and why, and why she has a copy, I don't know)

They showed her some sort of repayment plan which has a big payment of 17000 B, followed by 2000 B a month, for 5 years.   With interest, the 100,000 B has grown into 170,000 b.

She has to show up to court in a day or so.

Is this normal?   I know a lot of thais defaulted on the cars they purchased under this scheme.

She claims if she doesn't pay it, she goes to jail.

Are they actually going after people who had the cars rep'oed?       (But kept the rebate?)

I can't imagine most thais have the money to repay?

If this is legit, is there any room to negotiate on the payment, and what is the method?

I like the lady, but have no qualms about walking away, and am very reluctant to front any money.

I'm not excluding the possibility this is a 'sick buffalo' scenario, but she knows anything like that would mean I'm gone.

Had a similar experience over a financed car my wife turned in long before I met her.
There was a balance due which she left unpaid between the original sale price and the claimed value upon returning it. Shortly after we married (which is how I assume they found her current address) the finance company popped up with a letter for a huge amount due that had accrued.
She discouraged me from paying or getting involved and we hired a Thai lawyer and through the court and communications with the finance company the amount was significantly reduced and including the lawyers fee I was quite impressed with Thai style collection resistance and quite happy to pay what seemed like a more realistic settlement.
I was surprised the settlement was reduced so much knowing she had a foreign husband.

Yeah, this smells.

If not a scam then it shows she may have other problems that will pop up in the future.

She claims to own the small house she lives in.

She said they sent  3 letters to the house, previously, which I guess she ignored.

she sent some partial shots of the repayment documents, which only shows some figures.

I'll see if she can send me pictures of the complete document.

She says she needs to pay 47916 by the end of the year, then make monthly payments of 2000.

17 minutes ago, petesc55 said:

What I can find online on the program is it provided up to a 100,000 baht rebate on qualifying vehicles.

Hard to imagine a new Vios earned the max payout?

I would presume a vios would have been 70 or 80 k or so.

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

OP your gf does not have a copy of the video, she has the original, made for her by her Thai bf.

Sounds sus to me 

& if she couldn't afford to pay & had to spend Grant to survive I would run

So her Falang husband who died left her nothing - not knowing his Visa status I wonder if there was a bank account

So he died & there's also a Divorce in the episode

The part about having to repay the first time car-buyer payment is true.

My wife bought her first car (first car in her name that is) when the scheme was running via the Yinluck government.

She applied for and received 100,000 Baht paid directly into her bank account. My wife also told me there was a stipulation that if you sold the car within four years, you had to repay the government the 100K Baht.

She wasn't married to the farang who died.     

As far as I know, she wasn't a bargirl.   Married out of university, 3 kids, divorced 15 years later when her thai husband found a new GF, and has to scramble at various jobs since then, mostly working in nursing home or private care.

I've just seen the full copies of the document they brought to her house and they look legit.

What pisses me off is she admits she knew about this 3 years ago before we met.    Never mentioned a word about it.

4 minutes ago, petesc55 said:

As far as I know, she wasn't a bargirl.   Married out of university, 3 kids, divorced 15 years later when her thai husband found a new GF, and has to scramble at various jobs since then, mostly working in nursing home or private care.

I've just seen the full copies of the document they brought to her house and they look legit.

What pisses me off is she admits she knew about this 3 years ago before we met.    Never mentioned a word about it.

As to your last phrase

She knew this wasn't your problem as she done this prior to your presence 

She has only mentioned it now as its turned very serious 

Get use to the last minute timing (11 th hour ) as they never seem to want us to worry - I get it all the time no matter how small the problem is (like ringing whilst back in home country working All Ok Mai, only to find out that something needs fixing

Although she may be required to repay you need documentation with regard to this

As for her going to jail This is total nonsense There is no debtors jail in Thailand This is a civil matter and as such is civil not criminal

She either does not know or is lying to you either way she is not going to jail

The 100,000 sounds like the right amount, my wife got the same and when we sold the car last month after 4 years in stead of 5 she had to pay the 100,000 Baht back.

One of the drawbacks of the first car promotion and it will hit hard of you had the car repoed because you couldn't keep up with the finance.

Key thinking if there is drama now it will honestly only ever escalate. If you pay then you're the bankroll. If you don't then your a cheap BF and (not saying she will) but they will often keep you strung along till they find another. It seems lose / lose to me but either way bud I wish you the best of luck and remember there are more out there.

The lady has not been scammed. The deal to sell more cars to first time buyers at a discount providing they did not resell or dispose of the car within five years .Failure to do so the rebate had to be repaid  .Cars under this scheme bought on finance terms the lender kept the book for the car and insisted on first class insurance .If the car was resold the finance company would be the only ones to sell it to as they legally  held  the book as security for the loan.The lady did not meet the terms of the agreement and has to repay the discount  but should negotiate a settlement prior to the court case.

12 hours ago, petesc55 said:

Is this normal?   I know a lot of thais defaulted on the cars they purchased under this scheme.

I've heard about it before, that if you sell – or return – you car bought under "first time scheme" before a certain period, of some year if I remember right, then you'll have to pay back the 100,000 baht. Try to google for more details...:smile:

10 hours ago, petesc55 said:

What I can find online on the program is it provided up to a 100,000 baht rebate on qualifying vehicles.

Hard to imagine a new Vios earned the max payout?

That is correct, my wife bought a Toyota Vigo Champ and received close to a 100,000 baht cheque from the Government however if you sell under five years you have to refund the money.

Maybe defaulting on a loan and the car being repossessed constitutes selling the vehicle?

8 hours ago, petesc55 said:

To be fair on her it sounds like she reacted like many people who are in financial distress and can't find the money, they stick their head in the sand and hope the problem goes away. Hopefully she can come to a resolution with the government department and pay down the debt. Good time for her to find out who her true friends are, the ones that help when things turn to crap rather than the blowflies that hang around just for the good times.