Beware of Shoppee

edwardandtubs

I bought a new Xiaomi phone from Shoppee and it's a dud. The warranty period is 14 days on Lazada and I assumed it would be at least a week on Shoppee but it's only 3-5 days depending on the reason and I was too late by a day. The seller claimed the phone came with a one year manufacturer's warranty but no warranty card or anything came with the phone and I've received no meaningful communication from Shoppee for a week.

• Like 2

OP, I think you will find its a "return period", not a warranty. Even Lazada says to contact the manufacturer after the 7/14 day (depending on product) return period.

I agree you would have to be living no were near a TV not to have heard of Shoppee, annoying add with Cute Thai girl in orange dress.

Not sure about Xiaomi phones but Samsung phones are guaranteed without the need to have a guarantee card. I once bought a second hand phone which was repaired free by Samsung with no guarantee card. I have also had one phone repaired at my cost as it was outside the guarantee period. They had a record of when it was sold.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I think you will find its a "return period", not a warranty. Even Lazada says to contact the manufacturer after the 7/14 day (depending on product) return period.

I agree you would have to be living no were near a TV not to have heard of Shoppee, annoying add with Cute Thai girl in orange dress.

Yes, the return period is 3-5 days for Shopee which seems ridiculously short. The only reason I missed it is because they require you to upload photos but I couldn't as I didn't have a camera. That's the main reason I bought the phone! Now they're just ignoring my emails.

Their adverts are also on the side of every sky train in Bangkok.

Edited by edwardandtubs

5 hours ago, rak sa_ngop said:

Not sure about Xiaomi phones but Samsung phones are guaranteed without the need to have a guarantee card. I once bought a second hand phone which was repaired free by Samsung with no guarantee card. I have also had one phone repaired at my cost as it was outside the guarantee period. They had a record of when it was sold.

I see Xiaomi have a service centre in Pantip Plaza now so I'll go there if Shopee keep ignoring me. Wish I'd bought it from Lazada...

Isn't that what all of those types of online markets do? I've never used Shopee or Lazada, but I have bought a lot of (cheap) stuff on eBay and AliExpress over the years and the few times that there has been a problem it's been up to the seller in question to refund or resend. They all claim to have "buyer protection" and whatnot, but I'm sure that if you read the fine print they won't be applicable in many cases. Good for buying cheap stuff - would never buy a phone there.

Personally I don't really get why anyone would want to buy a smartphone anywhere else than at an official retailer (especially in Thailand where consumer protection isn't exactly up to european standards). To me it seems that phones are the number 1 item that are often tampered with, defect, refurbished, or otherwise something funky with if you buy at a discount price from an unofficial source. I bought a Samsung phone once in MBK - confirmed to be original by the Samsung service center there - and still ended up with a phone that was at best refurbished and repackaged (which I didn't realize until months later, when things started falling apart on it).

Good luck with that repair in Pantip... and maybe next time go to an official retailer.

Edited by BadCash
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/21/2017 at 10:06 PM, Peterw42 said:

... I agree you would have to be living no were near a TV not to have heard of Shoppee, annoying add with Cute Thai girl in orange dress.

Urassaya Sperbund also known as Yaya

...how do you say total babe in Norwegian?

4 hours ago, BadCash said:

Isn't that what all of those types of online markets do? I've never used Shopee or Lazada, but I have bought a lot of (cheap) stuff on eBay and AliExpress over the years and the few times that there has been a problem it's been up to the seller in question to refund or resend. They all claim to have "buyer protection" and whatnot, but I'm sure that if you read the fine print they won't be applicable in many cases. Good for buying cheap stuff - would never buy a phone there.

Personally I don't really get why anyone would want to buy a smartphone anywhere else than at an official retailer (especially in Thailand where consumer protection isn't exactly up to european standards). To me it seems that phones are the number 1 item that are often tampered with, defect, refurbished, or otherwise something funky with if you buy at a discount price from an unofficial source. I bought a Samsung phone once in MBK - confirmed to be original by the Samsung service center there - and still ended up with a phone that was at best refurbished and repackaged (which I didn't realize until months later, when things started falling apart on it).

Good luck with that repair in Pantip... and maybe next time go to an official retailer.

Most places hold the money for a couple of weeks and return it to the buyer if there's a defect. Shopee just transfer it straight to the seller so no protection at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

A defamatory post has been removed.

Forum rule.

6) You will not post comments that could be reasonably construed as defamation or libel.
Defamation is the issuance of a statement about another person or business which causes that person to suffer harm. It does not have to be false to be defamatory. Libel is when the defamatory statement is published either in a drawing, painting, cinematography, film, picture or letters made visible by any means, or any other recording instruments, recording picture or letters, or by broadcasting or spreading picture, or by propagation by any other means. Defamation is both a civil and criminal charge in Thailand.

• Haha 1

Shopee is just a commerce platform. They do not accept any responsibility what so ever.

Have also had terrible experience with them.

Did you know to get a refund, you have to be Thai ONLY?

Yes, they only refund to Shopee wallet, where then you can set up a withdrawal, but to do that you have to provide Thai ID card number,

No passports or drivers license, Thai ONLY,

You could try OCPB, if seller is a company or a shop, they might be able to help, but if its just a person selling, not much can be done.

• Thanks 2

There typically are two different models occurring with these kinds of online stores -- 1. they're actually selling the product themselves, or 2. they're merely serving as an online platform for a 3rd party seller.

That's the way Lazada operates. Some things they sell themselves, and you'd be dealing with them. Other things are being sold on Lazada by other sellers, and you may end up having to deal with the 3rd party seller, for better or worse.

I bought an air purifier on Shopee a couple months back, and it was actually coming from a 3rd party electronics store with its own website and physical stores, etc etc.  The item arrived on time, in good condition, and has worked fine ever since.

Unfortunately, these kinds of things are the risk that occurs in Thailand where the digital 4.0 economy is really 0.4, and the actually enforced consumer protection standards are really 0.004.

On both Lazada and Shopee, there are some vendors that have so-called authorized online stores, like Tesco, ASUS, 3M, and some others. At least in those cases, you know you're dealing with established businesses that MAY have some sense of customer service/care.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

hello, is shoppee a market place like lazada ?

do we buy from shoppee or from different sellers when ordering on shoppee ?

Any positive feedback or it's just a Thai business and we already know what we can expect from them... ?

thanks.

14 hours ago, gaff said:

hello, is shoppee a market place like lazada ?

do we buy from shoppee or from different sellers when ordering on shoppee ?

Any positive feedback or it's just a Thai business and we already know what we can expect from them... ?

thanks.

It's a marketplace. Positives are it's sometimes cheaper than Lazada but that's a false economy because there's absolutely no buyer protection.

Bought the mi5 a year ago from Lazada, cant remember from which shop though. Was sure it was a fake because xiaumi's online authenticity site didnt work but tried the app and it confirmed it was real. Anyway I always feel uncertain ordering expensive items online in TH.

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

Can anyone enlighten me how exactly a foreigner like me can register on Shopee? I have been told thatonly on the Shopee app one c an change to the English language, but to this day, I was not able to. The following message was sent to me on AUG 19 by their support team:

Dear our Value Customer,
According to your e-mail below concerned about Language Setting for Shopee Application. First, we do appreciate for your kind interested in our service. Therefore, you could follow these steps for language setting.
1.       Go to “Me”
2.       Go to “Setting”
3.       Go to Language
4.       Choose English
However, we do understand that our Application is in Thai language. Therefore, you could refer by our attached picture.
Lastly, we do sincerely apologize for this inconvenient and if there is any further, please feel free to contact us. 

I can see that "Me" sign on the first picture, but can't find the gearwheel for Settings. Is anyone able to help? Thanks in advance.

shopee0.png

shopee1.png

On 11/22/2017 at 6:15 PM, edwardandtubs said:

I see Xiaomi have a service centre in Pantip Plaza now so I'll go there if Shopee keep ignoring me. Wish I'd bought it from Lazada...

I bought a new boxed Xiaomi phone at MBK. After a couple of years took it to Xiaomi at Pantip Plaza. They directed me to a service center co in Pantip. They would not fix it because the phone was a gray import (from serial number), even though I was prepared to pay. Bought a Samsung as replacement.

So, I have learnt my lesson. Only buy from an authorized phone dealer or phone manufacturer outlet.

• Like 1

I recently had a problem with a seller on Lazada. The seller advertised a 12 month warranty on the bluetooth speaker I bought, so when it failed to connect with my tablet after using it for 3 weeks I returned it. They kept it for 10 days, said there was nothing wrong with it, and returned it to me. It still had the same problem, but the seller just refused to do any more about it. It's never the products fault in Thailand, only the buyers. Not going to use Lazada again, the sellers warranties are worthless.

• Haha 1