983 foreigners busted for overstays in 3 days

Rimmer

983 foreigners busted for overstays in 3 days

image.png

PATTAYA:-- Eight Chinese nationals wanted for sex trafficking in Pattaya were among nearly 1,000 foreigners fined or arrested for overstaying their visas in a three-day regional immigration crackdown.

Top officials from Immigration Bureau Region 3 – covering the East and Central regions of Thailand – reported results of the Nov. 13-16 alien sweep Nov. 17, saying 983 people were either captured or surrendered to face charges they overstayed their visas.

Locally, immigration police arrested eight Chinese wanted on a prostitution warrant issued by Pattaya Provincial Court, another Chinese fugitive hiding the area and a Russian wanted on drug charges.

In all, 42 overstaying foreigners were arrested and 161 other surrendered to face fines in the eastern region.

Across Region 3, officers said, 911 foreigners surrendered and 72 were arrested.

For those who surrender, overstaying up to one year gets foreigners banned for a year from coming back to Thailand. Three-year bans await overstayers of 1-3 years while those who have lived here without a visa for 3-5 years are banned for five years. Overstayers of more than five years are banned for 10 years.

Read more: http://www.pattayamail.com/news/983-foreigners-busted-overstays-3-days-192664

pattaya_mail_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya Mail 2017-11-24

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They didnt go out and catch these guys, the article says 1,000 odd people people surrendered. Interested to know what prompted the mass surrender ?

Edited by Peterw42

3 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

Would you mind if they target your nationality?

No I wouldn't. Infact, the more high profile miscreants the better. I am wondering if overstayers from neighbouring countries are being targetted from construction sites, for example. 

The ones from my country (UK) who overstay and carry out major criminal activities are the ones I would like to see amongst the first to go. I suspect that they may never go at all if they are "well connected".

7 minutes ago, champers said:

No I wouldn't. Infact, the more high profile miscreants the better. I am wondering if overstayers from neighbouring countries are being targetted from construction sites, for example. 

The ones from my country (UK) who overstay and carry out major criminal activities are the ones I would like to see amongst the first to go. I suspect that they may never go at all if they are "well connected".

I would be fair if they treat all nationalities in the same way and investigate everyone with mo regards of the country of origin....I knew a teacher from the UK who was teaching in a well known Bangkok school and he  was overstaying his visa for 7 years 

Edited by Raymonddiaz

12 minutes ago, Raymonddiaz said:

I would be fair if they treat all nationalities in the same way and investigate everyone with mo regards of the country of origin....I knew a teacher from the UK who was teaching in a well known Bangkok school and he  was overstaying his visa for 7 years 

Noo. They'd never do that because the world is a biased place. And more than 90% of the people reading your post is racially biased. Miserable 'saints' living in glass roofs. 

In order to clear out more over stayers, they should over amnesty 

to all who surrender of their own will and be either re apply or

deported, that way, they can get many more and it will be done

in a nice way with the famous Thai smile....

1 hour ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Many British passports there!!???

Looks like there are two bundles of British Passports but most of the rest are single.

Just wondering, could this be gangs of people, or are there whole families going to get expelled?

15 minutes ago, ezzra said:

They did that already.

There was a long gap between announcing the new long term bans and actual implementation.

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

They didnt go out and catch these guys, the article says 1,000 odd people people surrendered. Interested to know what prompted the mass surrender ?

I thought that detail was odd also!  At first I wondered, did the police really get off their duffs and go out and find and arrest that many people. But then the article went on to explain, as you highlight, that supposedly the vast majority of those tallied were surrenders???

There's no amnesty or special provisions being offered to surrendering overstayers right now, AFAIK. So I too wonder what would be behind all these supposed surrenders -- if in fact the details related in the article actually bear any resemblance to the truth of what went on.

BTW, I wonder if the post-arrest process in Pattaya is any different than what's apparently been going on in the Phuket region, where (according to recent news reports) the vast majority of those arrested for immigration violations by the regular police somehow never ended up getting turned over to the Immigration police.  Will wonders never cease here....

People from Africa are targeted at the moment as many of them seems to be involved in criminal activities. One example I know of is that South Africans are now (from the beginning of November) required to have a "police clearance record" from DSI to extend their visa/extension of stay because of this.

1 hour ago, RisingSun said:

Noo. They'd never do that because the world is a biased place. And more than 90% of the people reading your post is racially biased. Miserable 'saints' living in glass roofs. 

And how would you know this? Did you just pull that number off the top of your head?

Are you racially biased? Maybe you are biased too, but in the opposite way that you claim the "90%" are biased. 

Broad overgeneralisations like that are useless. 

For instance, if someone supported cracking down on African drug dealers, that would not necessarily make them racially biased. Most would also support cracking down on European drug pushers as well if they were roaming around Bangkok and Thailand in large numbers. 

2 hours ago, ezzra said:

That was the offer months ago already mate, It didn't work..

3 hours ago, Mickmouse1 said:

Many British passports there!!???

Don't get too excited and cream yourself too soon.

They might be one person's collection of passports put together. Some people do have more than one nationality, you know, like many Aussie MP's.