What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

1 hour ago, Neilly said:

Thought it was time to give Duro tyres a go, been using Dunlop MX52's for a long time now, but the price has crept steadily up and they're close to Baht 3,000 a pop now, the Duro is Baht 1,500 and the wear rate is half that of the MX52 if the guys I ride with are anything to go by...will see what the grip is like this coming Friday ????

20210426_103948 (Medium).jpg

Getting Irc GP21 right now on my crf and it was 3150,- baht inc sending from 29tire

Was time to change

IMG20210423154703.jpg

Edited by Tagged
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Thaigang said:

Informative article on motor oil: Link ; especially the bit about semi-synthetic ... scroll down if not interested in the preliminary lead up. 

What lead up can't read anything.

My advice is buy Castrol 10w30 part synthetic Power 1 oil in Thailand. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Tagged said:

Getting Irc GP21 right now on my crf and it was 3150,- baht inc sending from 29tire

Was time to change

I'd say you had your moneys-worth out'a that one  ????...there's a couple of hills we have to get up and I wouldn't like to try it on that tyre! ????

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

What lead up can't read anything.

My advice is buy Castrol 10w30 part synthetic Power 1 oil in Thailand. 

Was it that the "Link" was not working for you?

FWIW, here are a few salient parts from that article. (I didn't watch the video. The article was posted below it.) Headings are in bold (text omitted) and is what I referred to as "lead up" and thus, possibly not of interest.

The Definitive Guide To Motorcycle Engine Oil
Everything you wanted to know about your engine’s lubrication. Updated: March 14, 2020

Motorcycle Engine Oil Viscocity And What The Numbers Mean

Motorcycle Engine Oil Additives Explained

API And JASO And Their Meaning

Can You Use Car Oil In A Motorcycle?

Why Should You Change Your Motorcycle Oil?

What’s The Difference Between Mineral And Synthetic Oil?

Interestingly, some Group III oils can be classified as synthetics due to the fact that the API allows oils to be categorized based on performance rather than composition. Many oil manufacturers take advantage of this loophole and sell highly refined Group III oils as synthetics since it’s cheaper and easier to thoroughly process a mineral oil than it is to build a true synthetic.

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Mineral Oil?

If you’re looking for the drawbacks of mineral oil, look to its origin. It’s refined from crude oil (which is a soup of everything from volatile liquids like gasoline to solids like paraffin), so mineral oil inevitably contains a variety of different molecules as well as some lingering impurities. The higher the API category the cleaner the base oil is, but in the long run conventional oils can’t compete with the purity of synthetics, and as a result they are less chemically stable and more easily oxidized and acidified.

What Are Pros And Cons Of Synthetic Oil?

There’s no lingering dinosaur dung or other leftovers—just pure lubricating goodness. That means synthetic oil does a better job of reducing wear, performs better under a wider range of temperatures, and is more resistant to thermal and chemical breakdown so has the potential to offer longer service intervals. The cons? There’s really just one: cost.

What Is Semi-Synthetic Oil?
Semi-synthetic oil is a mixture of mineral and synthetic oils. (Although as you’ll recall, some Group III oils can be categorized as synthetic, even though they’re derived from crude.) Semi-synthetic offers some of the benefits of synthetic oil but without all the cost. The thing is, there is no set minimum percentage for synthetic content, so semi-synthetic oils can range from as little as five-percent synthetic on up to a 30-percent blend.

The only time you really know you’re getting the good stuff is when you see ester on the bottle. Ester isn’t your great-aunt; it’s a family of impressive Group-V molecules that have some important properties like high detergency (for engine cleanliness) and super-strong film strength that persists in the presence of punishing temperatures. And since esters are the best and most expensive synthetics to make, manufacturers are always going to tout it on the label.

What Oil Is Best For Break-In?

What Is An Oil Analysis And What Can It Tell Me?

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thaigang said:

Was it that the "Link" was not working for you?

FWIW, here are a few salient parts from that article. (I didn't watch the video. The article was posted below it.) Headings are in bold (text omitted) and is what I referred to as "lead up" and thus, possibly not of interest.

The Definitive Guide To Motorcycle Engine Oil
Everything you wanted to know about your engine’s lubrication. Updated: March 14, 2020

Motorcycle Engine Oil Viscocity And What The Numbers Mean

Motorcycle Engine Oil Additives Explained

API And JASO And Their Meaning

Can You Use Car Oil In A Motorcycle?

Why Should You Change Your Motorcycle Oil?

What’s The Difference Between Mineral And Synthetic Oil?

Interestingly, some Group III oils can be classified as synthetics due to the fact that the API allows oils to be categorized based on performance rather than composition. Many oil manufacturers take advantage of this loophole and sell highly refined Group III oils as synthetics since it’s cheaper and easier to thoroughly process a mineral oil than it is to build a true synthetic.

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Mineral Oil?

If you’re looking for the drawbacks of mineral oil, look to its origin. It’s refined from crude oil (which is a soup of everything from volatile liquids like gasoline to solids like paraffin), so mineral oil inevitably contains a variety of different molecules as well as some lingering impurities. The higher the API category the cleaner the base oil is, but in the long run conventional oils can’t compete with the purity of synthetics, and as a result they are less chemically stable and more easily oxidized and acidified.

What Are Pros And Cons Of Synthetic Oil?

There’s no lingering dinosaur dung or other leftovers—just pure lubricating goodness. That means synthetic oil does a better job of reducing wear, performs better under a wider range of temperatures, and is more resistant to thermal and chemical breakdown so has the potential to offer longer service intervals. The cons? There’s really just one: cost.

What Is Semi-Synthetic Oil?
Semi-synthetic oil is a mixture of mineral and synthetic oils. (Although as you’ll recall, some Group III oils can be categorized as synthetic, even though they’re derived from crude.) Semi-synthetic offers some of the benefits of synthetic oil but without all the cost. The thing is, there is no set minimum percentage for synthetic content, so semi-synthetic oils can range from as little as five-percent synthetic on up to a 30-percent blend.

The only time you really know you’re getting the good stuff is when you see ester on the bottle. Ester isn’t your great-aunt; it’s a family of impressive Group-V molecules that have some important properties like high detergency (for engine cleanliness) and super-strong film strength that persists in the presence of punishing temperatures. And since esters are the best and most expensive synthetics to make, manufacturers are always going to tout it on the label.

What Oil Is Best For Break-In?

What Is An Oil Analysis And What Can It Tell Me?

Hope that helps.

Yeah the link was bad couldn't get in.

Thanks good info and was told stuff like that years ago by engineers.

Oil has always been a controversial subject and I have discussed it with many extremists and OCD sportsbike OCD riders. ???? 

Full synthetics oils base material is distilled from crude oil and they are group IV oils now.

It gets sooooo complicated I just stick with what I've used in England all my life Castrol oils a BP member company product.

China is the biggest oil company.

Synthetic research brings up stuff and names I never heard of, I guess some here know em like, Royal Purple, Redline, Schaeffers 9k,  RLI, GC/Syntec 0W30 Amsoil, Liqui Moly, Pennzoil.

I remember some other makes when mentioned like Amsoil, Mobil, Repsol, Motul, Valvoline.

Synthetic oil has been around a long time used in engines because of war.

Of interest to me was the MCN ( Motorcycle Mag ) back around 1993 reported Castrol had bought a Honda fireblade to test a new oil which they called superbike oil, to cut long story they took the bike to an Oval track where the bike could be at top speed all the time for 24-7 for I remember as 8 days or more.

Engine was tested in ways and then stripped down to calculate wear from new there was none.

• Like 1

Most overthink oil.

Use a good quality oil, conventional, semi, full - whatever. It ain't the space shuttle.

I use Honda MA and MB Semi - 85/110 THB - Can't beat the price.

#1 thing - change it.

Read a report from years ago - US Army. They use a LOT of oil

Did a test - two groups, one kept same oil, one mixed and matched, at the same time in the same vehicle.

End of the day - no difference

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Full synthetics oils base material is distilled from crude oil and they are group IV oils now.

No. Groups 1, 2, & 3 are refined from petroleum.

Group 4 are polyalphaolefin/ PAO base stock.

True synthetic.

21 minutes ago, papa al said:

No. Groups 1, 2, & 3 are refined from petroleum.

Group 4 are polyalphaolefin/ PAO base stock.

True synthetic.

Still from crude oil. 

I don't worry about it Papa I'm looking forward to the nuclear powered bike. ????????

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, MartinL said:

Went out for my first ride on my new bike - the rain finally let-up!

Do you find the bars low ?

Seat looks thin - how does it feel ?

Realize bike is new but curious.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Do you find the bars low ?

Seat looks thin - how does it feel ?

Realize bike is new but curious.

I've always ridden bikes with clip-ons - some much more extreme than this (Triumph Daytona 675, Ducati 851, Ducati Hailwood and 900SS)- so I find them quite comfortable but, of course, because it's new it feels 'different', a feeling that'll soon pass.

Seat is fine for me but I'm a short <deleted> with little legs and don't weigh much. Any higher and I wouldn't feel comfortable as far as getting my feet on the deck is concerned.

Also, I don't think that a well-padded seat is necessarily a comfortable seat. I like - or have got used to - quite thin seats and now prefer them to the thicker item.

Edited by MartinL
  • Like 2

What size engine on your new CRF? Did I see a 100 on the tank???

Wait, I guess my eyes were blocking the 3!

Is it this? Nice!

D5428626-5D9B-4732-9D72-07442FEA51CF.jpeg

Edited by Kwarium
  • Like 2

Not my motorbike but my scoot I was drinking a glass of Chang when my delivery from Shopee arrived a Chang battery gel type 12v/5v @ 277baht c.o.d. including delivery charge. ???? 

On 5/4/2021 at 8:08 AM, VocalNeal said:

Took all the plastic off ???? to replace a turn signal. Other turn signal rubber is not in good shape, so now I have to order another.????

Put all the plastic back on. Twice.  Because I had two mystery screws left over!  Sneaky little blighters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1