What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

On 1/25/2018 at 1:45 PM, thaiguzzi said:

So the last couple of weeks I've de-termited the place and contents, ripped all the old inner walls out and replaced with weather proof gypsum, siliconed (7 tubes of the stuff!) every joint and had a good tidy up. I also did some minor gardening outside to keep a footpath's width around the place so I can keep an eye on the intruders. BASTARDS!!!

Much better now.

023.thumb.jpg.bc3af51c14315a8c849929094471bc37.jpg015.thumb.jpg.606732a73a2d7d2b44f60b374752823c.jpg017.thumb.jpg.fdfbe7576baa682b1ada4a47fff14a44.jpg016.thumb.jpg.8dcbb24f0e06fa4a14ea0f77f96fd303.jpg003.thumb.jpg.e430746e44aa95f7b07bb6282e3ad58a.jpg007.thumb.jpg.3b019e0be5380195f9a648b98c21b97e.jpg022.thumb.jpg.9073058ebd27893a07a92a221de1e6a7.jpg006.thumb.jpg.db01bc706e30e53685a9a858dcdf2bcf.jpg

Very well done, Dr. Piston! 

• Like 1

Just a warning for people who bought Chinese cr_p fuel filters.

My inner filter element was gone and the fuel could get into the carbs without filtration.

I had eight more of these cr_p filters from China and decided to open one up to see what's inside.

The big surprise was that it's cheap paper that very soon disappears when it gets in contact with gasoline.

Basically not a filter, more a carburetor destroyer. I had the one on the photo and fitted that one in and it works well. It's called "Spirit Beast". 

It can be cleaned, has a magnet inside that holds metal particles. First i thought the diameter would be too small, but it works well.

Please see the photo with one of the new and the used filter. All of the "filter element" inside is gone. 

New and used color gone.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Cut open.jpg

paper inside with color.jpg

Edited by teacherclaire
Don't buy Chinese Cr_p!

38 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Very well done, Dr. Piston! 

Yeah it's a shame thaiguzzi left TV with his knowledge a big lost to the Motorcycles in Thailand forum. 

Use to be great fun here years ago and bikers were allowed to talk amongst themselves like bikers do and then came PC overkill. ????

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Just a warning for people who bought Chinese cr_p fuel filters.

My inner filter element was gone and the fuel could get into the carbs without filtration.

I had eight more of these cr_p filters from China and decided to open one up to see what's inside.

The big surprise was that it's cheap paper that very soon disappears when it gets in contact with gasoline.

Basically not a filter, more a carburetor destroyer. I had the one on the photo and fitted that one in and it works well. It's called "Spirit Beast". 

It can be cleaned, has a magnet inside that holds metal particles. First i thought the diameter would be too small, but it works well.

Please see the photo with one of the new and the used filter. All of the "filter element" inside is gone. 

New and used color gone.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Cut open.jpg

paper inside with color.jpg

The plastic Honda ones similar to what you show are paper type to and work OK.

I stay with Honda ones because I know I they are OK for the fuel flow I need and only 45 baht each, Also you can keep an eye on them as they are more or less see through. 

9 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

Yeah it's a shame thaiguzzi left TV with his knowledge a big lost to the Motorcycles in Thailand forum. 

Use to be great fun here years ago and bikers were allowed to talk amongst themselves like bikers do and then came PC overkill. ????

Yep, I couldn't agree more..............

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, revgreen said:

https://www.bikersofficial.com/

They have 2 branches in Bangkok.

Absolutely nothing other than I think they look cool, haha.

I wouldn't go Bkk but good you have found a bikershop. 

I got my parts and bling on-line and happy enough, to post about when I bought my 5th bike in Thailand to what it is now would be a paperback. ????

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, teacherclaire said:

Have a safe trip and watch out for retar_ed idi_ts! 

We stay away from the crowded roads, so it will not be to bad for us I hope. But that doesnt mean anything, since surprises comes as useal when you least expect them ????

So rule #1 expect surprises coming your way even parked or standing still. 

• Like 2

After learning a lot about CV carbureting, including overhauling and troubleshooting them, I'd like to 

get to the right spark plug color, which says a lot about what's going on inside the combustion chamber.

Even using Colortune doesn't help you a lot if you are not aware that blue could also mean too lean.

This is mainly for two cylinder big bore engines with CV carbs. ( Constant Velocity) 

I've changed my exhaust system three weeks ago and had to learn that i was too lean. Fortunately, I had overhauled my carbs twice and knew exactly what to do and how much fuel I had to add, by turning the pilot, or fuel/air mixture screw on one pot 1/4th out, on the other 1/2 turn.

The first photo shows one of the plugs after doing 180 km/h with the new exhaust. Even when it run perfectly, the plugs showed me that i was too lean.

The other four photos show the rear and front cylinder's plugs, I took two photos each to see both sides of the plugs. I should have taken one from on top, but it was a nice color. 

I've also attached two different photos what spark plugs are telling you about your engine.

To get back to Colortune which I'm also using. If your engine/cylinder runs too rich, turn the pilot screw in very slowly until it's blueish. Then try that also with higher RPMs and that's enough.

Then ride a while and look at your plugs, they tell you almost all. The photos attached are: 

1. Plug too lean ( right after the change of exhaust after the 180 km/h test ride.)

2. Front cylinder I

3. Front cylinder II

4. Rear ( and first on these bikes) cylinder I

5. Rear cylinder II

6. Spark plug Poster what they should look like detailed

7. Spark plugs lean, okay and too rich. ( Less details). 

Plug too lean.jpg

Front I.jpg

Front II.jpg

Rear one.jpg

Rear II.jpg

Spark plugs good or bad.jpg

SparkPlugColord (1).jpg

Edited by teacherclaire
Watch out for airborne motorbikes in LOS!
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tagged said:

We stay away from the crowded roads, so it will not be to bad for us I hope. But that doesnt mean anything, since surprises comes as useal when you least expect them ????

So rule #1 expect surprises coming your way even parked or standing still. 

You might not believe me, but we were luckily in my pick up truck when a CBR 150 got airborne and was heading towards my windshield.

Only an emergency braking helped us that the bike "only "hit the front bumper and fender and didn't come into the driver cabin with my spouse in. 

We drove a shortcut with almost no vehicles, on the left a parked tractor with a Trailer. From the other side then the "stuntman" who was on a test ride from the next village.

It was rice harvest time and really no other vehicles for along time. The next was a dop car. 

I thought well, he should slow down now, or change the direction, but nope. He rode on one ramp of the trailor, the bike then got stuck threw him off, he flew over the two vehicles and landed on his da+n feet.

But the bike was on its way to our windshielt up in the air. You wouldn't think that it could rain motorbikes, would you?

Dogs and cats is okay, but motorbikes? The guy had nothing, he landed on his feet. Stay safe! 

Edited by teacherclaire
Never Trust a Thai in a vehicle.............
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

After learning a lot about CV carbureting, including overhauling and troubleshooting them, I'd like to 

get to the right spark plug color, which says a lot about what's going on inside the combustion chamber.

Even using Colortune doesn't help you a lot if you are not aware that blue could also mean too lean.

This is mainly for two cylinder big bore engines with CV carbs. ( Constant Velocity) 

I've changed my exhaust system three weeks ago and had to learn that i was too lean. Fortunately, I had overhauled my carbs twice and knew exactly what to do and how much fuel I had to add, by turning the pilot, or fuel/air mixture screw on one pot 1/4th out, on the other 1/2 turn.

The first photo shows one of the plugs after doing 180 km/h with the new exhaust. Even when it run perfectly, the plugs showed me that i was too lean.

The other four photos show the rear and front cylinder's plugs, I took two photos each to see both sides of the plugs. I should have taken one from on top, but it was a nice color. 

I've also attached two different photos what spark plugs are telling you about your engine.

To get back to Colortune which I'm also using. If your engine/cylinder runs too rich, turn the pilot screw in very slowly until it's blueish. Then try that also with higher RPMs and that's enough.

Then ride a while and look at your plugs, they tell you almost all. The photos attached are: 

1. Plug too lean ( right after the change of exhaust after the 180 km/h test ride.)

2. Front cylinder I

3. Front cylinder II

4. Rear ( and first on these bikes) cylinder I

5. Rear cylinder II

6. Spark plug Poster what they should look like detailed

7. Spark plugs lean, okay and too rich. ( Less details). 

Plug too lean.jpg

Front I.jpg

Front II.jpg

Rear one.jpg

Rear II.jpg

Spark plugs good or bad.jpg

SparkPlugColord (1).jpg

Your ganna give yourself an ulcer, you said riding around locally plugs are good colour.

Carb petrol engine are not rocket science.  ????

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, teacherclaire said:

But I usually ride after work and i do love to open the throttle. So I need the right mixture.

I had a broken engine at my firmer 750 Virago because a Thai mechanic messed the rear cylinder's setting so up and it was too lean that I had to go through hell.

And the engine was running nicely before, but my stupid German thinking was in my way to have everything perfect in form of a "fine tuning." 

But nothing is perfect in this world. Sorry if my post was too boring about the plugs. 

After he fixed the engine and I paid 14,000 baht, the bike only ran 80 km and the rear cam fell out. He'd forgotten to put the cam holder with an 8 mm screw in.

I thought you had it sorted for high speed already and had a good colour.

As we all know very few Thai mechanics about, I'm lucky I have a guy who helps me sometimes who use to race CB400's.

With multiple-carb Honda's like mine have a set down procedure and carbs are tuned individually with a tatco meter. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tagged said:

90 km left to Chiang Khan, and she have been behaving extremely good today, and enjoyed the curves around the mountains with smooth and slick riding. After all it is valentine day

IMG20210214082540.jpg

Wifey will have a lot of work cleaning when you get back. Ride safe!!!! A nice photo, keep them coming, please. 

Installed my headlight and I've got around a 40 % brighter headlight.

The foil that reflects the bulb was to 40 % gone. It was so brittle, perhaps somebody was using a 100 watt super H 4 bulb that gets hot as hell before?

Photo two shows the old one. 

new headlight good.jpg

20210116_171455.jpg

• Like 1

Some small bike headlights are really bright these days. 

So when my hi - low switch wires when on a short out route in the harness blowing the fuse.

I redirected new wires to rewire the twin hi beam headlights on all the time, there only 60 watt so don't seem to bother people too much but I don't usually ride at night. 

Sorting the switch and harness can wait. ????????

3 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Wire the lights thru a relay.

Only use the handlebar switch to control the relay

Yeah thanks, I have 2 relays but the wires from the switch going into the harness have shorted out, so not rewired switch wires and harness for now.

I wired it directly full beam at 60 watts because when I wired it to relays for dipped 55 watt and mate in front of me said my light are very dim.

I'll sort it later because it's a pain of a job.

Edited by Kwasaki

ordered a new carbon brush set for a ยามาฮ่า scoot today . 140฿ ( starter motor)

what could go wrong???? think i may need some rubber o-rings also. oh boy oh boy oh boy excitement is palpable krap

Edited by cali4995
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...