What Did You Do to Your Bike Today ?

canthai55

43 minutes ago, papa al said:

What grit sandpaper do you recommend?

Funny and cautionary really I use a heavy grit paper to rough up smooth areas on the front and rear of the new tyres outter side, not because I go there in these older days of my life but and off camber section of wet tarmac can give you a bit of a heart skip sometimes. ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papa al said:

Can {and has done ] do more than that.

2 hours ago, papa al said:

off camber section of wet tarmac

It's always a little shocking.

You're smooth

you're cool,

you're

down & sliding.

////

They get polished by traffic so smooth that

even walking across is touchy.

• Like 2

Well - not my bike.

Two school girls, old Fino over 80K Km, no license, no insurance, no helmets.

Slid down the road and bounced off of my stationary front bumper.

Yelling, screaming, finger pointing all around.

Insurance agent on the scene, taking care of business.

Police station with all parties concerned Tuesday 0900

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Well - not my bike.

Two school girls, old Fino over 80K Km, no license, no insurance, no helmets.

Slid down the road and bounced off of my stationary front bumper.

Yelling, screaming, finger pointing all around.

Insurance agent on the scene, taking care of business.

Police station with all parties concerned Tuesday 0900

Well I reckon no problem just aggro having to go police station because you are a witness I guess. 

One funny accident I had in Qatar wasn't my fault but in their law it is my fault because I shouldn't be there. ????

• Haha 2

Took the ADV150 for service at WorldSpeed Honda, Pathum Thani. Bought the bike there and they do a good service job. Manager is Tad and he speaks English. Service items: Engine oil, gear oil, new air filter and new spark plug. Total cost 512 Baht. Good for another 6,000kms. ???? 

20210405_094852~2.jpg

20210405_151032_2.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/3/2021 at 5:27 PM, Tagged said:

Showed her the other side of the mountain today, and loving this CRF250L so much. Cant wait to get my CRF300L in 25 days or so and compare. 

657732A1-4779-4935-A978-DF0BA7AB5E67.jpeg

Well I guess you know it has an extra 36 cc but in the main different frame different suspension and some up styling, it will be a good bike. 

It seems like Honda dropped the 250 because of Kawasaki KLX 300.

Edited by Kwasaki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, soi3eddie said:

Took the ADV150 for service at WorldSpeed Honda, Pathum Thani. Bought the bike there and they do a good service job. Manager is Tad and he speaks English. Service items: Engine oil, gear oil, new air filter and new spark plug. Total cost 512 Baht. Good for another 6,000kms. ???? 

20210405_094852~2.jpg

20210405_151032_2.jpg

Good to hear, there's many good service Honda places for small bikes, the disappointing thing for me I cannot find good big Bike Honda dealership near me. 

Even if I had a new big bike I would not take it to any big bike Honda dealerships near me. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, papa al said:

IpHO, the nicest lines of any scooter.

Many offered on Kaidee 12-28Kbaht.

Back then I thought it was the best looking scoot @ 34,000 baht.

It's kept it's still good looks against the new Clicks now but no girlie walk through.

I will never sell it, the last one made was a 125 with FI I believe.

Just back from the muddy farmland.

71228251_10157751364125990_601591495010549760_o.jpg.aeb27476f75f20b9684f52e3300303f6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Took it for a little spin... and killed it.

My 2000 Hornet 600 pride and joy sits way too much as I am busy with construction and getting settled into Issan life. I have been bad about posting all the maintenance, polishing and upgrades over the years. It used to be my daily rider in Bangkok. I have bought parts and supplies in Japan, France, and the US, and she is in top form. I did post about the new Metzelers I ordered from Bangkok recently.

So took a quick spin to get her out and warmed up, parked out front under the tree all day, then went for another warm up before putting her back in the garage.

Had the dog along for a good run, and stopped along the road to chat with some palm seed harvesters. When I went to start up again, there was a click but no starter sound. Battery seems strong. I have never serviced the starter, so it has been on my mind a bit as 1 of the few things not serviced or renewed.

Luckily, I was on a bit of a downhill grade, so a few lunges and pop into 2nd fired her right up... on like 1 cylinder. Full throttle, choke or not, tank full, petcock on or reserve, could barely keep it running. Shut it down on the next rise in the road, checked kill switch, lights, horn wires, in case there was a short or something. Did a second rolling start and fired up right away on 1 cylinder with an occasional weak backfire at full throttle limped back home at 3kph, max power.

After complete cool down and a stiff drink (me, not the bike) any attempt to start by button, was met by what looked like full short, as the oil and neutral lights go out, not dim like a weak battery.

Anybody dealt with a bad starter on a cb600 four cylinder or similar? The scary part is why it wouldn’t run after turning over by rolling start. Thinking that is not related to battery or starter!

Cheers from Udon!

EAF64639-237E-4F89-A20C-668EDB250893.jpeg

Edited by Kwarium
Fat finger typos!
  • Like 1

A daylight pic for your pleasure.

025F34BE-FBDA-4A51-ABFB-A151647695CF.jpeg

So I use a battery tender now and then to keep a full charge. If the battery suddenly gave up, would it stop the bike from running properly?

Edited by Kwarium
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Kwarium said:

If the battery suddenly gave up, would it stop the bike from running properly?

My HD was running fine, suddenly the instruments started acting weird - display start/stop start/stop ???

Stopped for fuel, went to start again - completely dead.

Battery had internal short.

So ... yes

• Like 1

Battery shows 12.1 volts, and FUL on my charger. But not enough juice to sound the horn. Charger has a pulse mode that seems to add some life to weak batteries. Running that now. Need to pull he battery out in order to check the date. 

I replaced the CDI (from a UK bike breakers over ebay) and upgraded to electronic voltage regulator (from a usa Kawasaki zx10) last year. Have never serviced the magneto or starter.

Still stressed about engine barely running after a push start. The magneto should fully power the bike with a bad battery, correct?

Edited by Kwarium

33 minutes ago, Kwarium said:

The magneto should fully power the bike with a bad battery, correct?

In modern engines a battery is required.

Not like the old days where you could install a battery, start car, remove battery, cover the Pos cable, and drive away

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kwarium said:

Battery shows 12.1 volts, and FUL on my charger. But not enough juice to sound the horn. Charger has a pulse mode that seems to add some life to weak batteries. Running that now. Need to pull he battery out in order to check the date. 

I replaced the CDI (from a UK bike breakers over ebay) and upgraded to electronic voltage regulator (from a usa Kawasaki zx10) last year. Have never serviced the magneto or starter.

Still stressed about engine barely running after a push start. The magneto should fully power the bike with a bad battery, correct?

Sounds like Battery electronic problem like canthai55 says.

Without seeing the bike could be a number things firstly left standing for good while but It did run OK no problem. ?  So now :-

1.  Check fuel filter, check plugs with multimeter, get a new battery, switch on and check all lights, stop lights and indicators, sidestand switch and see if it will crank up.

2.  Let us know how you get on.

4 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Sounds like Battery electronic problem like canthai55 says.

Without seeing the bike could be a number things firstly left standing for good while but It did run OK no problem. ?  So now :-

1.  Check fuel filter, check plugs with multimeter, get a new battery, switch on and check all lights, stop lights and indicators, sidestand switch and see if it will crank up.

2.  Let us know how you get on.

Thank guys. Battery took a <deleted>. Date stamped in the top is 1017! I installed it in August of 2018. Time flies! New one ordered on Lazada.

Hoping that the bad battery caused the barely- runnng condition. It seems the new MOSFET regulator behaves differently wrt battery condition than the stock Honda diode type it replaced.

I am sure I rode the bike with a dead battery some years before the regulator change!

update to come.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tagged said:

Just warmed her up for this destination. Been trying two times already, but there is so many trails up there, and not easy to find exactly the link to Phetchabun side. 

15.8713641, 101.3425754

Good luck! Don’t forget the 14 day quarantine if you cross that line!

????????????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

Thank guys. Battery took a <deleted>. Date stamped in the top is 1017! I installed it in August of 2018. Time flies! New one ordered on Lazada.

Hoping that the bad battery caused the barely- runnng condition. It seems the new MOSFET regulator behaves differently wrt battery condition than the stock Honda diode type it replaced.

I am sure I rode the bike with a dead battery some years before the regulator change!

update to come.

Hope you don't mine me suggesting you check your fuel line and plugs from what you said earlier while you're waiting and other stuff switches are a nightmare sometimes. 

Ride to live. ????