AIS billing for unwanted sms promotions

lamyai3

I've had a postpaid AIS data package for just over a year, no problems for the first eleven months when I was billed consistently for the same amount each month, but since about September I've started getting automatically subscribed to various sms promotions without any idea why, and getting these charges added to my bill. They're various rubbishy  Thai horoscope sites etc, and on complaining to AIS they said I probably subscribed accidentally. However I don't have any idea how or when I could have done so - for one thing, I don't read Thai or surf any Thai websites at all. The call centre staff have been helpful and apologised each time and removed the charges, and also said they'll reset so it won't happen again but then it repeats with a different promotion a week or so later. I'm getting pretty annoyed at having to call them and get my bill corrected manually each time.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar? One thing I noticed is the problem seemed to start happening around the time AIS replaced their app with a much more high tech version a couple of months ago, though not sure if it has anything to do with this. 

There have been easily 70+ similar threads here over the years.

I would attempt to identify any/all third-party service providers billing your account, and then I would make a trip to a full-service AIS shop in a large mall and ask for some permanent resolution to this problem, including a full/permanent block on any third-party billing on your account. You might also ask them about how easy it is to port out to TrueMove H or DTAC?

It is very, very easy to accidentally subscribe to these services.

call 1175 (or 1148 if you're a serenade member). tell them to unsubscribe your number from any services other than the packages you have signed up for. insist that you did not consent to the items you're being billed for and they might just scratch it off your bill (or refund if you already paid for them).

It appears sticking with pay-as-you-go for 12 years was a better decision I made.

I don't get promotional SMS messages, many years ago I went to their office and told them no thanks and also did it myself on their website. Pretty much all SMS messages in Thai get deleted immediately, but I don't really get any. 

I have their app on my phone and no issues.

Be careful where you click, watch out which apps have access to details, if it continues move to another provider.

• 4 weeks later...

Same problem as the OP has happened to me with Dtac. Never had an issue for 4 years & suddenly twice this month got bombarded with 9 Baht sms's out of the blue. The Call Centre but a block on them the first time, but it still happened again yesterday. Funnily enough, they also changed their app a bit a month or so ago. Really hope I've seen the last of them!

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Archived