Canada apologises for persecution of gay public servants

webfact

Canada apologises for persecution of gay public servants

By Leah Schnurr

tag_reuters-1.jpg

Canada's Prime Minister Justin Trudeau delivers an apology to members of the LGBT community who were discriminated against by federal legislation and policies, in the House of Commons on Parliament Hill in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada, November 28, 2017. REUTERS/Chris Wattie

OTTAWA (Reuters) - Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau apologised on Tuesday for a decades-long campaign by previous governments to rid the military and public service of homosexuals, calling the dark chapter in the country's history a "collective shame."

From the 1950s to the early 1990s, the Canadian government monitored and interrogated civil servants who were believed to be homosexual or transgender. Thousands in the public service, military and Royal Canadian Mounted Police were fired or intimidated into leaving their jobs.

Speaking in the House of Commons, Trudeau said the thinking that homosexuals would be at increased risk of blackmail by Canada's adversaries resulted in nothing short of a witch hunt.

"The government of Canada exercised its authority in a cruel and unjust manner," Trudeau said, to a standing ovation from all parties.

"It is with shame and sorrow and deep regret for the things we have done that I stand here today and say, 'We were wrong. We apologize. I am sorry. We are sorry,'" he said.

The apology was the latest in a series of statements by the two-year-old Liberal government seeking to make amends for historical wrongs. Trudeau used a speech to the U.N. General Assembly in September to acknowledge Canada has failed its indigenous people.

Trudeau hugged several gay legislators in the House of Commons after giving his speech.

Gay rights group Egale described the apology as hugely significant.

"We have knocked on this door for a very long time asking to come in. Today we came in and we came in strong ... we are OK. It's OK to be queer in Canada," the group's executive director Helen Kennedy told reporters.

Canada has also reached an agreement in principle with those involved in a class action lawsuit related to the government's persecution of homosexuals, Trudeau said.

Under the agreement, C$110 million ($85.80 million) will be given in compensation to those involved in the lawsuit.

Liberal cabinet minister Scott Brison, who is gay, told reporters he was "deeply saddened by and sorry for the systemic oppression against members of my community."

Brison added: "I am so proud today of the diversity and inclusion of our public service."

The government earlier on Tuesday also proposed legislation that will allow the criminal records of those convicted of sexual activity with same-sex partners to be permanently destroyed.

($1 = 1.2821 Canadian dollars)

(Additional reporting by David Ljunggren in Ottawa; Editing by Jonathan Oatis and Cynthia Osterman)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-11-29

As if this virtue signalling means anything.  You can't change the past what happened still happened. I wish this little prince would get interested in real issues like economics instead of all of his progressive ideology grandstanding. Canada should be the one apologizing for him.

8 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

As if this virtue signalling means anything.  You can't change the past what happened still happened. I wish this little prince would get interested in real issues like economics instead of all of his progressive ideology grandstanding. Canada should be the one apologizing for him.

"As if this virtue signalling means anything. "

Respectfully, it does. It costs nothing and sometimes simply saying "Sorry" closes wounds. That's a good thing.

However, I fully agree with the tone of the rest of your post; get off your butt and get interested in governing. Canada faces several challenges in the future, and when a government is constantly looking back it cannot see what is coming at it from ahead. 

26 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

It does mean something.   It is a signal that what has happened is not right or permissible.   As the head of the gov't that is a strong message to any of the homophobic people who still feel it's OK to discriminate, not give promotions and other adverse actions against gays.   

It levels the playing field and that is a good thing.   

34 minutes ago, Credo said:

It does mean something.   It is a signal that what has happened is not right or permissible.   As the head of the gov't that is a strong message to any of the homophobic people who still feel it's OK to discriminate, not give promotions and other adverse actions against gays.   

As if in this day and age of progressive gestapos anyone is going to discriminate against any discernible special interest group.  It is nothing but preaching to the choir. Like a performer mentioning the city their in while on stage so everybody cheers. An empty bit of manipulation, that's all.

20 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

As if in this day and age of progressive gestapos anyone is going to discriminate against any discernible special interest group.  It is nothing but preaching to the choir. Like a performer mentioning the city their in while on stage so everybody cheers. An empty bit of manipulation, that's all.

So gay people are a "special interest group"  Exactly what favors are they asking for that wouldn't be afforded to other citizens? The right not to be fired for irrelevant cause? They are shameless!

9 minutes ago, ilostmypassword said:

So gay people are a "special interest group"  Exactly what favors are they asking for that wouldn't be afforded to other citizens? The right not to be fired for irrelevant cause? They are shameless!

They identify as a special group, they have their organizations, their rallies, have lobbyists and magazines.  Can I say they? Probably not. Anyhow, this is not about them (don't know the right pronoun sorry) asking for anything. This about a man pretending he can make amends for thing that happened while he was still pooping his pants. It is a worthless grandstand to boost his popularity.

Canada seems to have gone further down the insane totalitarian identity politics road than almost anywhere else.

Bill C-16 makes it mandatory to refer to another person by whatever pronoun they choose to call themselves, whether it be 'they', 'zee' or 'squiffy' or whatever. There are serious penalties for non-compliance.

It is now also, apparently, an offence to even discuss Bill C-16 in public. Discussing Bill C-16 in public is now a violation of Bill C-16, and if that isn't totalitarian, I don't know what is.

I'm not making this up. A university teaching assistant recently showed her class a clip from a mainstream Canadian TV show of a two-sided debate on Bill C-16, and immediately got hauled in by her teaching professor and accused of 'gender violence', contrary to the bill's provisions. See Lindsay Shepherd and Wilfrid Laurier University for details. Bring your sick bag.

28 minutes ago, RickBradford said:

Canada seems to have gone further down the insane totalitarian identity politics road than almost anywhere else.

Bill C-16 makes it mandatory to refer to another person by whatever pronoun they choose to call themselves, whether it be 'they', 'zee' or 'squiffy' or whatever. There are serious penalties for non-compliance.

It is now also, apparently, an offence to even discuss Bill C-16 in public. Discussing Bill C-16 in public is now a violation of Bill C-16, and if that isn't totalitarian, I don't know what is.

I'm not making this up. A university teaching assistant recently showed her class a clip from a mainstream Canadian TV show of a two-sided debate on Bill C-16, and immediately got hauled in by her teaching professor and accused of 'gender violence', contrary to the bill's provisions. See Lindsay Shepherd and Wilfrid Laurier University for details. Bring your sick bag.

So this teaching professor was acting in an offical capacity as a government sanctioned law enforcement officer?

Yes Canada has become the country where, we are waiting for drugs to be legalized so the police will have to figure out, If you are drunk or stoned or both.  Next our PM will apologize for being born in Quebec as a rich guys son, and that it was his famous last name that got him

elected. Every day he shows Canada that he was not ready. I have to patiently wait for the next provincial and federal election, and hopefully we can get a new and better leader.  I think that many people in the USA are waiting for their next election for similar reasons.

Geezer

8 hours ago, Credo said:

I agree with the sentiment but betting on this shifting his unpopularity from immigration policies when they undoubtedly come up with the compensatory hiring freeze against heterosexuals in the public service until the gay population is better represented. 

In all likeliness it either unifies the endangered hetero white male redneck Anglo with all previously visible minorities in CUPE, or the entire public service will be coming out :partytime2:.  

It's a nice gesture, but yes, for it to have teeth, they ought to open up a procedure for seeking compensation. Anyway, better than nothing. Jealous of Canadians for having a leader who's a mensch compared to the hate monger troll horror show to the south. 

10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

Are you specifically quoting his current or past statements?

Dis he or anybody say that gays should not be fired for employment transgressions which should mean any employee should be fired? 

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

It's a nice gesture, but yes, for it to have teeth, they ought to open up a procedure for seeking compensation. Anyway, better than nothing. Jealous of Canadians for having a leader who's a mensch compared to the hate monger troll horror show to the south. 

I'd take that trade.

5 minutes ago, alocacoc said:

With such a prime minister, Canada is toast. Cheers.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Canadians do really good toast. 

I hadn't realized before that there is a COMPENSATION aspect to this apology. Really, really excellent! 

Edited by Jingthing

On November 28, 2017 at 7:45 PM, canuckamuck said:

They identify as a special group, they have their organizations, their rallies, have lobbyists and magazines.  Can I say they? Probably not. Anyhow, this is not about them (don't know the right pronoun sorry) asking for anything. This about a man pretending he can make amends for thing that happened while he was still pooping his pants. It is a worthless grandstand to boost his popularity.

Did you have the same opinion of Harper when he apologized over residential schools while running up the biggest budget deficits in our history? 

On November 28, 2017 at 10:29 PM, Stargrazer9889 said:

Yes Canada has become the country where, we are waiting for drugs to be legalized so the police will have to figure out, If you are drunk or stoned or both.  Next our PM will apologize for being born in Quebec as a rich guys son, and that it was his famous last name that got him

elected. Every day he shows Canada that he was not ready. I have to patiently wait for the next provincial and federal election, and hopefully we can get a new and better leader.  I think that many people in the USA are waiting for their next election for similar reasons.

Geezer

Not happening Geezer. Young Justin has about a 1/3 more support in recent polls than your Tory bible thumper. I've never voted Liberal and have zero use for them most times but I know this guy is likely untouchable for 4 terms. 

From the OP: "Trudeau hugged several gay legislators in the House of Commons after giving his speech."

Too bad Jason Kenny wasn't still in the House he would have been in line for a hug too. 

2 hours ago, pegman said:

Did you have the same opinion of Harper when he apologized over residential schools while running up the biggest budget deficits in our history? 

I have the same opinion of all of these decades or centuries later apologies by people who had nothing to do with the event. It is just theater and part of this white guilt - celebrate the victim culture, which is pathetic and self loathing in every way. I can't apologize for the dumb stuff you do. You have to do it yourself.

If I have made someone a victim, that is a different thing entirely. But I don't give any stock to false empathy.

On 11/29/2017 at 8:04 AM, canuckamuck said:

Ohhh, please direct me to one of these "progressive "gestapos"!!

On 11/29/2017 at 8:45 AM, canuckamuck said:

No it is not a "special interest" to desire rights identical to the rest of the population. The organizations, rallies, lobbyists and mags are part of a community.