Can anyone recommend an honest jetski company??

Tapster

My wife has always wanted to try a jet ski.

However, Phuket is renowned for scams.

Can any TV members recommend an honest jet ski operator, or am I on a fool's errand?

Also (unrelated to the above), is it possible to hire a 'real' jet ski anywhere: a stand-up one?

Stand-up jet ski.jpg

There may be, but I have seen no evidence of it.

Over many years we have seen heated arguments on the beach, police turning up, I don't know what the outcomes are but I wouldn't need that aggravation on a holiday.

Often seen broken down jetski's in the middle of Patong bay, some time before any one was helped, not sure it was the jetski operator that turned up.

We were at Tritrang one day and her husband had dropped her off on a jetski and 2 hours later he still hadn't turned up. She was in tears and near hysterical. I drove her back to Patong to where they hired the jetski and he still hadn't turned up.

Have alook at the condition of the jetskis as they are towed through the streets night and morning and they don't look that great, plenty of scrapes and paint missing that have probably been paid for several times by tourists who are in no position to argue.

Also check your travel insurance. Are you covered (also for on a motorbike) many policies exclude them.

There are great travel experiences to be had in Thailand, jetski's are not one of them.

Speaking of tourist policies, is there still such a thing as tourist court that was supposed to settle minor disputes so the tourists wouldn't get stuck in Thailand waiting for their court date? That was highly vaunted and touted when launched.

Although many of these schemes are good in theory, I can't think of too many ( any actually) that have stood the test of time

@Patong2

I don't have travel insurance, I live here, in Rawai.

I was hoping that 'old hands' on TV might know a legit jet ski operator.

Hopefully some others will read this thread later today.

Thanks for the opinions, though. I know the jet ski thing is a minefield.

:biggrin:

4 hours ago, Patong2 said:

We were at Tritrang one day and her husband had dropped her off on a jetski and 2 hours later he still hadn't turned up. She was in tears and near hysterical. I drove her back to Patong to where they hired the jetski and he still hadn't turned up.

So what happened?

4 hours ago, beechbum said:

So what happened?

Don't know!

Went back to my wife who was sunning herself on Tritrang, another beautiful beach that has been ruined in the last few years.

After 20 odd years of marriage I realised it would not be the wisest thing in world to ride off with a blond in a bikini and a wrap on the back and take too long to get back to the wife.

From my observations all jet ski operators on Phuket seem to be under the same general hierarchy of corruption.  Local government officials, local police and Subdivision 8 Marine Police.

Anyone operating outside this cartel would soon lose their business at the very least.

My opinion is you are on a fool's errand.

I think it's a real shame. I've never been on a jet ski and they look like great fun. Parasailing is something I'd also like to try one day. Both activities are just minutes away from my place, but from what I've read I just can't trust the operators.