Please Help

Gregmc

12 minutes ago, Gregmc said:

Steve can i chat with u a littleplease mate. 

At prachuap prison I can't take him anything but letters and books. No food nothing.

Thanks Steve. He has 10k in the bank account which is the max allowable. He is allowed 300baht a day to spend 

I'm very thankful for your ideas

check your messages on here greg - i have sent you a PM

51 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

Criminals are sent to prison for a reason, to be punished. If prisons were to become desirable accommodations, then they would not be deterrents against committing crimes. If they can`t tolerate the time, then don`t commit crime. What`s so difficult about that to understand?

i know the guy the OP talks about, and have also been to visit him.  believe me, he is a good guy and his crime does not deserve a sentence so severe, under conditions which it also appears are severe....... if the crime had been committed in his home country, or in mine, i doubt he would have even gone to prison........   

good on you guys who have offered helpful information and advice........   i pray he can get through this chapter of his life relatively unscathed......   at least he can learn some thai whilst in there....  i am sure he will know every thai swear word under the sun by the time he gets out :)

I'm not concerned about the negative replies. I fully realised there would be some people who would respond in this manner before I posted.

I'm  just trying to help a great friend who would undoubtedly do the same for me.

4 minutes ago, Gregmc said:

Steve can i chat with u a littleplease mate. 

At prachuap prison I can't take him anything but letters and books. No food nothing.

Thanks Steve. He has 10k in the bank account which is the max allowable. He is allowed 300baht a day to spend 

I'm very thankful for your ideas

In every prison in Thailand it should be possible to deposit money for inmates, you can't give it personally though. You have to pay it to prison officials who book it on a personal account of the prisoner. He will be able to use this money for purchases from the prison store only, but still can be quiet helpful.

I think each prison has different rules about the maximum amount in prison bank accounts. I think it varied between 10,000 - 20,000 Baht. No, you cannot give food to inmates, it normally has to be brought via the prison canteen.

The Chief Warder and Governor probably know all the farang prisoners. If he stays in favor (e.g. sucks up and is helpful), he is likely to get relaxed privileges after a year or two. 

Unfortunately your friend has to tough it out for the first 1 or 2 years. It should get 'easier' after that, all being well.

You are quite right not to discuss the particulars of the case on social media. Thai officials can get prickly over this sort of thing and it won't do your friend any favors.

It is also true that it can be dangerous having access to money because other prisoners (and wardens) can put the squeeze on the inmate (if he is perceived as weak) to deliver ever increasing amounts.

A member of our family is in jail. He was caught, along with 2 others, in a crime. The 2 others pleaded guilty and got 10 years. They were out in 5 years. He pleaded innocent and got 20 years. He is still in prison. More recently he fell out of favor with a warden and says he was setup/caught with a mobile phone, a punishable offence. My wife complained to the prison Governor. Big mistake. The next day he was transferred to a prison about 500 km away with family visits suspended for 12 months.

Remember the prison wardens and officials are always correct. You must work with the system.

2 hours ago, Gregmc said:

I'm not concerned about the negative replies. I fully realised there would be some people who would respond in this manner before I posted.

I'm  just trying to help a great friend who would undoubtedly do the same for me.

Good on you Greg

I am sorry mate your friend is in prison but you have failed to post why he is there. The only conclusion I can make is that it is something you are ashamed to say. If we know what the reason is then there may be some sympathy but if not then, rot in there as far as I am concerned. That may be a harsh statement but why the secrecy?

4 hours ago, Gregmc said:

Hi Gregmac

I was once in the same position--had a person I really didn't know that well imprisoned for a bar room fight that someone got badly injured in, he didn't get a long sentence, (1 year) so I thought I would visit him when I came to live here nearly 20 years ago--Lad Pro Prison BKK, if your friend wants to transfer to BKK prisons he will at least find someone  from his country....(I dont know if that's important to him or not)--the conditions are much the same, I ended up after many years in Issan--Udon Thani, same--same-- prison built for about 400 hundred people has over 1,500 in it, no prison for women so they threw the 300 women prisoners they now have in with them---sounds humorous ..but it isn't.

When I started to visit my friend , other people (farangs) would reach out with messages through him.... could you just e-mail/write/phone  my mother in the UK / USA/Oz..etc just tell her I am OK...of course messages would come back..I am out of work/sick/old  & do not have the money to come to Thailand...but I want to help my son so very much, can I send a little money to you to pass on to him ..etc

So difficult to say hey, no I'm sorry I acutely came here because I  just want to get to Chiang Mai and bang this bar girl I met last time I was here......

Anyway long story, but spent a while doing prison visits... some Embassy's better than others--Irish -Great, give any Irish person 300 Baht a day to help with food etc..its probably one of the best--American, is quite good, they do try to help their people, and they do carry some clout--got some moved internally that were being knocked around, just as soon as they picked the phone up---

Scandie usually are OK so I am surprised you dont seem to be getting much help there. I have a Swedish friend that takes over most of  the prison visits for Scandies in this part of Issan-- he is well known to the Embassy, I am going to PM you my e-mail, I will go and see him when you contact and ask if he will try to assists you --Like all these guys I know the answer will be yes anyway.

Good luck mate

8 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Criminals are sent to prison for a reason, to be punished. If prisons were to become desirable accommodations, then they would not be deterrents against committing crimes. If they can`t tolerate the time, then don`t commit crime. What`s so difficult about that to understand?

Harsh. In actual fact the punishment is denial of freedom.  In any civilised society there is a duty of care.  Obviously, prisoners are best described as feckless and forethought is likely not their strong suit.

9 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

You really are a piece of work aren't ya?

Why do the "softer" prison regimes in Scandinavia and Holland etc have the least re-offending figures?

Why do the "hard" countries with way over populated prisons such as the US and UK have horrendous re-offending figures?

Do have a nice day old chap, so glad we don't know each other, we wouldn't get along.

21 hours ago, Stevemercer said:

That is bad news.

He will be out in 3 years if he does not piss anyone off in the prison system. As noted above, the best you can do is to try and arrange a transfer to a prison closest to his 'support' network (if he has such a thing).

As you know, you can transfer money to his prison account. Having money makes all the difference in prison. 5,000 Baht a week is enough to live adequately and grease the wheels.

There is no point in spending money trying to grease the legal system, but being polite and friendly to prison officials will help with an early release and day to day living. 

5,000 baht a week? I was thinking per month would be about right.

18 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Being sent to prison IS the <deleted> punishment. Being deprived of freedom, family contact,  is deterrence enough.

On 11/30/2017 at 6:31 PM, Gregmc said:

He is determined to move. Honestly I don't know if anywhere else is better.

I was able to spend a few hours with him yesterday. The things that are happening in there is abhorrent. 

I'm just wanting to find out about other prisons so he doesn't make a poor decision.

please share some stories with us

4 hours ago, jimn said:

The OP posted on a public forum so it is my business if I choose to comment. I cannot believe the number of TV posters who have sympathy for this criminal. The topic supporting a criminal should be deleted. He is in prison for a reason.

The Op was correct not to post anything about the reason the person is in prison for the very good reason that unhelpful tw@ts like you can't post even more hateful, unnecessary & ignorant comments.

Every individual in prison is entitled to whatever support the legal system allows so that they can survive and have a decent & normal life on release. One doesn't have to support the activities that led to the sentence, only have a smidgeon of decency to help others in trouble.

On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 2:51 PM, greenchair said:

He should make friends with a couple of lady boys. I'm not saying to be nasty. They really would take care of him. For a few language lessons. 

No smart comments please. 

I have lived in LOS many years in Pattaya and Chiang Mai, places with loads of LBs and never been offered to be taken care of in exchange for language lessons, though plenty of offers in exchange for money.

Perhaps a little more information as to where these sorts of LBs hang out would be helpful.

That was a sincere post and not a smart comment.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I have lived in LOS many years in Pattaya and Chiang Mai, places with loads of LBs and never been offered to be taken care of in exchange for language lessons, though plenty of offers in exchange for money.

Perhaps a little more information as to where these sorts of LBs hang out would be helpful.

That was a sincere post and not a smart comment.

In the prisons silly. 

I find the lady boys to be very nice, whilst I would certainly sleep with one eye open.