Cambidia Visa Run Warning - Corruption

36 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

Maybe I am, but what stops you from getting a non O, and after 60 to 90 days an extension of stay for retirement? In your previous post you have complained about having to do 3 visas runs in a year So even if "you don't stay in Thailand", you still stay one year at a time... A couple of hours at immigration could save you to deal with the "border corruption" three times a year.

QUOTE: you still stay one year at a time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Again: Thailand invented the 1 year non imm O visa especially for people like me, who travel often in and out, at irregular intervals.

@The Big Kangaroo! I guess you have too get a bit updated on things. You do not have to pay for any extra help if you do the things yourself. Just can´t call it corruption. It´s up to you to know how to do when you enter and exit a border. All is very easy. If you need help, the guys are there to help you. Off course they want you to pay them for it. They don´t work for free. Simply, it´s your own choise. Maybe think about that instead of not being aware and complaining because of that.

2 minutes ago, Get Real said:

@The Big Kangaroo! I guess you have too get a bit updated on things. You do not have to pay for any extra help if you do the things yourself. Just can´t call it corruption. It´s up to you to know how to do when you enter and exit a border. All is very easy. If you need help, the guys are there to help you. Off course they want you to pay them for it. They don´t work for free. Simply, it´s your own choise. Maybe think about that instead of not being aware and complaining because of that.

The choice we have at the Khmer border is:

1/ do it yourself and be hit by corruption on the Khmer side (that cooperates with the Thai side)

2/ use a facilitator and pay for a service that you do not need

Since formalities at the border are so simple, there is no good reason to use a facilitator, but we are pushed towards them. After all, do we use a facilitator at the airport? It is a conspiracy between Thai and Khmer immigration officials.

Is it even legal for the facilitators to bring our passports to the Khmer side to get a visa & entry stamp?

What if they lose a passport (as almost happened to me)?

These days I avoid all that by combining border hop and holiday, using air borders, or making 2 shorter trips to Europe instead of 1 long trip.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Get Real said:

It's not a matter of "needing help" or not.  The Cambodian-side is a govt-monopoly operating a scam with some "independents" participating in it.  If there was a non-corrupt way to go through the process, sans payoffs, then I'd buy the idea that the touts are just entrepreneurs who offer to save you some walking and form-filling. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JackThompson said:

It's not a matter of "needing help" or not.  The Cambodian-side is a govt-monopoly operating a scam with some "independents" participating in it.  If there was a non-corrupt way to go through the process, sans payoffs, then I'd buy the idea that the touts are just entrepreneurs who offer to save you some walking and form-filling. 

Rubbish! The bad thing in all is that you know it too. Gone Savanakhet and Vientiane maybe 20 times. Never had a problem for the need to pay people. This is over a cycle of 10 years. Just face the music, boy!

Edited by Get Real

5 hours ago, oldhippy said:

1/ do it yourself and be hit by corruption on the Khmer side (that cooperates with the Thai side)

Since formalities at the border are so simple, there is no good reason to use a facilitator, but we are pushed towards them. After all, do we use a facilitator at the airport? It is a conspiracy between Thai and Khmer immigration officials.

Is it even legal for the facilitators to bring our passports to the Khmer side to get a visa & entry stamp?

These days I avoid all that by combining border hop and holiday, using air borders, or making 2 shorter trips to Europe instead of 1 long trip.

Just have one question, and the answer is free. Are you as stupid as tour comment, or are you just purely unaware of things?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Get Real said:

Rubbish! The bad thing in all is that you know it too. Gone Savanakhet and Vientiane maybe 20 times. Never had a problem for the need to pay people. This is over a cycle of 10 years. Just face the music, boy!

I have gone both of those many times too.  You can buy a VOA into Laos with USD at cost. 

Cambodian crossings are not the same story.  The "extra fees" are charged by the men in uniform in the VOA office at Cambodian crossings, even after you wade through the crowd of touts.  Some report (including a friend I know personally) being shoved up against the wall (by the guys in uniform) for refusing to pay the "extra fees."  I never pushed it that far.

I have done Cambodian crossings many times, and speak from experience.  Popet (Cambodia side) wasn't too bad - 100 Baht extra-fee - paid directly to the man in the uniform behind the glass at the VOA office, and you got your VOA in 5 to 10 minutes.  But Ban Laem has gone from that to worse - more like the Koh Kong crossing's epic corruption. 

Edited by JackThompson

Am I correct in saying that if you apply for an extension whilst having a non imm O  visa based on marriage, you need to show funds, a set of photos with your wife around your home and can expect a visit from immigration officers to confirm your status and address .

3 hours ago, Denim said:

Am I correct in saying that if you apply for an extension whilst having a non imm O  visa based on marriage, you need to show funds, a set of photos with your wife around your home and can expect a visit from immigration officers to confirm your status and address .

Yes.

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

If using a visa run company what's the usual cost, ie you pay the company xxxx baht, does that include the 30 dollar Cambo visa fee or do you pay that on top?

For a visa run company trip to Cambodia, the Cambodian visa is invariably included in the price. For those who can tolerate the discomfort and safety risk of those vans, the price is not too bad (especially for people willing to pay double the regular price for a Cambodian visa when traveling independently).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

If using a visa run company what's the usual cost, ie you pay the company xxxx baht, does that include the 30 dollar Cambo visa fee or do you pay that on top?

It is 2400 baht all inclusive from Bangkok.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:47 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Your exchange rate looks very high for $30 / 1300 baht.

As for where you get the departure card, you get one on arrival? Staple it in the passport

???  30 baht @ 33 baht/US$= 990 baht 
where do u get 1,300?

9 minutes ago, phuketrichard said:

???  30 baht @ 33 baht/US$= 990 baht 
where do u get 1,300?

I think the assumption is that you will need to pay 300 baht for the same day return. It is quite difficult to avoid paying at least something, though I do have a trick that has worked successfully when needed (including an Ban Laem).

30 minutes ago, BritTim said:

For a visa run company trip to Cambodia, the Cambodian visa is invariably included in the price. For those who can tolerate the discomfort and safety risk of those vans, the price is not too bad (especially for people willing to pay double the regular price for a Cambodian visa when traveling independently).

Check through the other thread where I said I mixed up the hotel 1900 and 1700 at the border. The visa compnies I've googled quote around 2500 and you get the pleasure of the company of the great unwashed and a wanna be Nigel Mansel as a driver.

I reckon being in charge of my own safety as much as is possible on the roads here and being able to stop where and when I feel like it is worth the little bit extra I don't care about anyway.

Still leaves me 800 baht from 2500 and that goes a good way to cover the diesel on the journey and no need to sit beside mingin mike or sweaty betty all day.

• 3 months later...

A flame post has been removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

On 12/1/2017 at 9:14 AM, scubascuba3 said:
On 12/1/2017 at 8:54 AM, JackThompson said:
The visa-run services usually (should) handle all this garbage as part of their fee (you pay them the extra money, instead of the touts).  But, yes, doing it yourself is the best option, in my view.

I paid 2300 baht to a visa run company, 30$ for visa (around 1750 baht) that leaves 550 for the 6-7 hour journey incl light Thai lunch, i think that's a good price. Would be interesting to know how much they charge in baht for the visa at the border if you went yourself

That's a good rate for the dollar (58.33B/$)! :smile: 

Still, the visa run companies provide transportation, which you could 

probably not get cheaper than 1,000B (for two 500 baht minibus rides from/to the border). Add the more realistic 950 baht for the Cambodian visa, and you're already at 1,950 baht! - Now, I'd rather pay another 350 baht (+/- 200 for the latest price) for peace of mind, shorter queues, and less risk of getting ripped off by immigration officials.

Can you do it for less? Of course! Ride your bike, or take the government bus, and do it all by yourself. But you'd have to be a real masochist to do this on your own just to save a few baht.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

On 12/1/2017 at 3:14 PM, oldhippy said:

This is not Europe. There is rampant corruption and irregularities, whether we like it or not. Either pay up to immigration officials OR those 'facilitators', Or take the plane (avoiding those border towns), as you suggested, making it a holiday, rather than just a quick border hop.

• Like 1