Study finds high pesticide levels in local food

rooster59

1 hour ago, Airbagwill said:

FHS! All that does is give you a big poo!How could it possibly remove molecules binding in your body?????

Silly ideas like this allow big business to use unacceptable farming techniques.

Rayong's has some of the highest cancer rates in the country as well as other chronic illnesses...no colonic irrigation will save them!

Who said it cures cancer?  Merely cleans your bum out and gets rid of a lot of toxins, 10 day fasting to go with it eating greens and stuff, wheatgrass shots.  Feel great after it.  It's even good for kicking smoking believe or or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JimmyJ said:

Another major disappointment to seeing Thailand as a future home.

I'm a vegetarian besides so even more so.

I already planned to cope with the reported road carnage by taking Uber and flying. Ruled out purchasing a car and definitely no 2 wheeled vehicles.

First the polluted air in Chiang Mai and other places, then this.

Rent is cheaper but life span is shorter.

Loei was definitely one place that I planned to visit.

I now see it's one of the areas with the most pesticide - an area known for green tourism.

Somebody in this thread mentioned what sounded like a chain of stores which sell organic produce.

Has anyone here visited one?

Yes, of course, we buy most of our vegetables at the King's Project outlet close to Royal Park Rachaphruek in Chiang Mai. They claim there products "Pesticide Safe" or "Pesticide Residue Free" (written in Thai) but not "Organic".
This was the background of my question whether their products were tested, too, and what about the results.

Edited by rebo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, smedly said:

Like everything else in Thailand enforcement of standards doesn't exist, enforcement of anything doesn't exist, standards don't exist - because it costs money

Buying submarines exists - corruption exists  

after they retrofit the subs with retractable wheels they will be able to drive them over to  samut sakhon and shoot a few torpedoes right up the keester's of the no-account  farmers ..... this was always the plan .

18 minutes ago, rebo said:

Yes, of course, we buy most of our vegetables at the King's Project outlet close to Royal Park Rachaphruek in Chiang Mai.
This was the background of my question whether their products were tested, too, and what about the results.

King's Project. Don't make me laugh !!!

If those products are getting tested, they must do it outside Thailand. Even then the Thai will have several people charged with:

• Computer crime act
  • Defamation
  • Lese majesty
  • Espionage
  • Article 44
  • etc..

30 minutes ago, rebo said:

They claim there products "Pesticide Safe" or "Pesticide Residue Free" (written in Thai) but not "Organic".

In the US that would mean they are not spraying the crop but that the soil has had chemicals used in the past or previous crops had been sprayed during the last x amount of years - I think at least 3 years, in California probably 5 years.

https://www.ccof.org/organic

I'm not sure if that's what it means for this company's produce though.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Jeremy50 said:

Let's be clear, there are no controls in Thailand, and any controls that do exist can easily be circumvented with a bribe. This is what happens when corruption becomes 'acceptable'. Meanwhile, millions of honest people are being slowly poisoned. 

The companies that manufacture these chemicals are owned by some of Thailand's richest families, who will easily buy out any attempts to limit distribution.  The farmers don't care, they couldn't give a damn if the fruit and vegetables they are selling are full of toxins, just so long as they can maximise profits.

Who's the honest ones here? I constantly warn about stupid and obvious  hazards like this but Thai's tell me I just don't understand Thailand or it's impossible to fix anyways so it's not worth getting upset about. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VincentRJ said:

Just go on a fast periodically to detoxify your body, and you should be okay. Say, a two day fast once a month should be sufficient. By fast, I mean  taking nothing but clean and pure water for the period. Don't even drink coffee.

What!! To difficult for you? So how much do you value your health? 

You're dreaming if you think that's going to work. Do you think bromides and other toxic contaminations just disappear during a fast? Even on intensive detoxification programs which require you to ingest other minerals in high quantities (eg Iodine), it can take months and even years to eliminate them. Bromides replace iodine in your body. They become part of you. They ain't going anywhere fast.

• Like 2

Farmers need more education in how to handle correct amount of pesticides, and also some level of control is needed. We saw the same in my Danish home country years back, which is also a agricultural country and was even more before, where farmers due to lack og knowledge used wrong doses of pesticides; today the authorities only measure remains of pesticides in 12% of the local agricultural products, whilst it's found three-fold in imported products, mainly from other EU countries. The experts says that you cannot completely eliminate pesticide remains, but it has to be under an approved level. So seem like education and information helps, of course together with some level of control, and it make sense because farmers saves productions costs by not overdosing...:smile:

4 hours ago, berrec said:

OMG, so what you're telling me is if I am lucky enough to avoid the potential of death or injury on the Thailand road networks, eating locally grown produce containing toxic substances will likely get me in the long term anyway.  

Geeze, my first year living here in Thailand and I am wondering now if I will make it successfully through to the end of year 2.

And I thought navigating around the pimps and hustlers at central Sukhumvit was my greatest danger to living in Thailand.

I'm a little more worried than your good self. I've lived here since 92'

• Like 1

Are we supposed to be surprised by this? The idea of Thai farmers going pesticide-free is farcical, never mind factory owners suddenly finding ethics.

As for the Agriculture Department allowing the renewal of licences for Paraquat, safe to assume that the licencees' qualifications won't necessarily rely on competence.

• Like 2

Does washing the produce overcome the problem or are the chemicals more deeply impregnated?

My partner washes all her thin skinned fruit in a solution of water and bicarbonate sod’s then gives them a rub over with toothpaste. Grapes are a pain. Does the same with vegetables. Makes food preparation a bit of a drag. 

Not sure how much this helps or are we kidding ourselves? Scary shit. 

I assume meats suffer the same levels of toxicity so it’s looking like baked beans for dinner. Imported of course. 

As far as any claims of organic I wouldn’t believe any such claim. Just a label allowing higher prices. Look forward to seeing a report on toxicity level in products making such claims. 

Bon apetite everyone. 

Now enough information about an education that doesn't exist.

Our son studied three years "electronics" at a local college, but knows zero about electronics. not even basic stuff about electric.

Isn't education, or better said "the lack of it" reason for all the problems with healthy/ deadly foods, road accidents, and so on?

6 hours ago, ricardofel said:

One of many reasons why I left Thailand! The way it works....inspectors visit growers who claim they are growing organic...give them some non-pesticide produce to test and after they get stamped with "organic" they go back to using pesticides. Incompetence & greed has always been rampant in Thailand whether in the education system, food for the masses, dangerous buses & vans and NOBODY cares! It will never change.....and thank God I left!

Where did you go ?

43 minutes ago, Zack61 said:

Does washing the produce overcome the problem or are the chemicals more deeply impregnated?

My partner washes all her thin skinned fruit in a solution of water and bicarbonate sod’s then gives them a rub over with toothpaste. Grapes are a pain. Does the same with vegetables. Makes food preparation a bit of a drag. 

Not sure how much this helps or are we kidding ourselves? Scary shit. 

I assume meats suffer the same levels of toxicity so it’s looking like baked beans for dinner. Imported of course. 

As far as any claims of organic I wouldn’t believe any such claim. Just a label allowing higher prices. Look forward to seeing a report on toxicity level in products making such claims. 

Bon apetite everyone. 

Wow! That's a lot of effort to try to detoxify the food. To think you're paying for poisonous food that you won't risk eating until you've soaked it in chemicals and rubbed it with toothpaste. That's a sad story. You have to eat but poisoning yourself if you do.

The best you can do is try to supplement with plenty of minerals to help you leech the toxins ou

2 hours ago, Emster23 said:

Scrolled through 5 pages of comments, and have yet to see a single post from the "thank god this isn't a nanny state", and then praise Thailand for lack of concern about public health. Perhaps a suggestion everyone should have a home pesticide test kit (then you'd at least know you are being poisoned, but good luck doing anything about it). Me, I plan to fast 30 days per month. Seems best way to detox

Thank "goodness" this isn't a nanny state ! :smile:  But prohibiting herbicides & pesticides would be a good thing.

The test kit idea is a good one . There should be an app on your smartphone to examine the goods before buying them , so rejecting the sellers directly in their face. ... But of course testing for all the poisons is a difficult and time consuming thing.

• Sad 1

Seems, Samut Sakhon is paying a high price for being among the top 5 in national GDP... They -and especially their kids and babies- will pay a high price for  those exorbitant Dioxin levels.

Note to myself:

- no locally produced salt anymore

- reduce seafood consumption

... Samut Sakhon has kilometers of lagoons, where they produce sea salt

... Samut Sakhon is the center for trade and processing of seafood

52 minutes ago, BuaBS said:

Thank "goodness" this isn't a nanny state ! :smile:  But prohibiting herbicides & pesticides would be a good thing.

The test kit idea is a good one . There should be an app on your smartphone to examine the goods before buying them , so rejecting the sellers directly in their face. ... But of course testing for all the poisons is a difficult and time consuming thing.

Cell phone radiation is a much faster killer than pesticides, IMO.

This is unproven tech and most fail to even read the warnings in the literature that comes w/ their device.  Speaking of which, I wonder what the laws are there for the placement of cell towers. Probably just as lax. How close are you to one?

Law enforcement, worldwide, is even more exposed than the general public. Check out the leukemia rates for them. Microwaving your brain turns it to mush. I've noticed increasingly irrational behavior (here in the U.S.)  since the roll out of cell phones, which I never use. But this has been the plan all along. It has little to do w/ helping you to communicate w/ anyone. It has more to do w/ getting the sheeple to fund the control/extermination grid (Agenda 21).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, smedly said:

Like everything else in Thailand enforcement of standards doesn't exist, enforcement of anything doesn't exist, standards don't exist - because it costs money

Buying submarines exists - corruption exists  

Exactly. Hopeless country.

They will make laws now but they will not be enforced for the foreseeable future. Perhaps never enforced.