Don in dark over claim of UK passport for Yingluck

webfact

By The Nation

431b11fdb52f65ba3581c930fd8d72f8.jpeg

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai has denied a report of unknown origin that Britain had granted fugitive ex-premier Yingluck Shinawatra a passport.

Don said before Monday’s Cabinet meeting that his ministry had no such information and that the British Embassy had not informed the Thai government of any such action.

“I don’t want to speculate on or anticipate anything,” he said. “Right now, it’s just hearsay. We heard this two days ago and checked and found it was groundless.”

Don noted that some countries sell passports to wealthy investors under certain conditions. “But the UK has no such policy,” he said.

The Foreign Ministry in late October revoked all four Thai passports Yingluck owned after she was sentenced in absentia to five years in jail for failing to prevent irregularities in her government’s controversial rice-pledging scheme.

She fled the country in late August before the court read the verdict.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333139

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-04

If true it as abhorrent. Many Thais who are decent, law abiding, and hard working, and in many cases married to UK nationals have massive issued even getting a visa to visit, let alone a UK passport.

Yingluck deserves to be in prison, her ineptitude and malfeasance caused huge monetary losses and even played some part in farmers taking their own lives

Getting a UK passport can be very fast if the will is there.

I remember, years ago now, when a certain female South African athlete was needed on the UK Olympic team.  Couldn't be done unless she was British so what do you think happened?  Miraculously got a UK passport within a few days!

Nothing to do with Yingluck of course but it just shows that under some circumstances these things can be expedited.

MFA Says ‘No Evidence’ Yingluck Has Obtained British Passport

By Pravit Rojanaphruk, Senior Staff Writer

Thailand-Politics_Cham-696x480.jpg  

Former Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra arrives July 21 at the Supreme Court for the last day of her hearing in Bangkok. Photo: Associated Press

BANGKOK — Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai said Monday there is no evidence to support rumors that fugitive former premier Yingluck Shinawatra has obtained a British passport.

While the Brits have said “no comment” to widespread rumors that Yingluck has successfully obtained a British passport, Don fell short of an outright denial to say there was no proof of such.

Full story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2017/12/04/mfa-says-no-evidence-yingluck-obtained-british-passport/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-12-04

2 hours ago, z42 said:

If true it as abhorrent. Many Thais who are decent, law abiding, and hard working, and in many cases married to UK nationals have massive issued even getting a visa to visit, let alone a UK passport.

Yingluck deserves to be in prison, her ineptitude and malfeasance caused huge monetary losses and even played some part in farmers taking their own lives

Here we go again though by this time it's hard to credit.Wittering on about farmers suicides by definition loses all credibility.

The current government's incompetence has lost Thailand billions of Baht and unlike Yingluck it has no democratic mandate.Do they deserve to be in prison?

2 hours ago, doctormann said:

I remember, years ago now, when a certain female South African athlete was needed on the UK Olympic team.  Couldn't be done unless she was British so what do you think happened?  Miraculously got a UK passport within a few days!

Nothing to do with Yingluck of course but it just shows that under some circumstances these things can be expedited.

zola budd had a British grandfather, so no comparison

The foreign minister said the ministry has checked with their British counterparts. While he did not indicate what their response was, Don said his ministry has found no evidence the rumors were true.

I would guess the response would be no response 

1 hour ago, Dave67 said:

The foreign minister said the ministry has checked with their British counterparts. While he did not indicate what their response was, Don said his ministry has found no evidence the rumors were true.

I would guess the response would be no response 

That's correct.

Years ago, when my Thai wife was applying for British citizenship I asked the office handling the application about the fact (then) certain nationalities were not allowed dual citizenship, and how the nationality office dealt with it.

Their reply was that it was policy if an enquiry came from a foreign government regarding so-and-so holding British citizenship, their reply would always be that they had 'no knowledge of any application by that person', irrespective of whether they held British citizenship or not.

Don the embassy will not tell you what the UK government is doing or have done as its nothing to do with you is it. But when they do give Yingluk asylum that"s their decision and guess what you can do sweet sod all about it can you, so move on and give the Thai people back their country.

The MFA don't know the UK rules on passports??

YL fled a military regime and the biased justice system...that the courts found her guilty is pretty abitrary now and unless Thailand does manage an extradition, which is very doubtful, she won't be coming back here...

The UK, and many other nations, often assist countries ex-leaders in situations such as she experienced.

A stock phrase which can be applied to any of the junta officials concerning any subject.

___junta official__ + in dark over + __anything you want___

In fact compared to to some of them, being "in the dark" is a position of enlightenment 

3 hours ago, bristolgeoff said:

she can not hide forever,someone will let the cat out of the bag soon.or she will show her hand.she has to do her time in the prison one way or the other

Is she hiding? My impression is that she is in the UK and is simply keeping a low profile.There is no "cat to be let out of the bag".In any case apart from the unhinged zealots in Thailand (as well as dopey expats who think she should do time in prison) I doubt whether anybody sane believes she is guilty of any crime.I have no idea whether she has received a UK passport but I wouldn't be surprised.There certainly are Thai politicians who should do time in prison (overseeing murder of civilians, illegally grabbing power, military procurement scandals etc etc) but that's a different subject and what is more the offenders are all "good people".

15 hours ago, jayboy said:

Here we go again though by this time it's hard to credit.Wittering on about farmers suicides by definition loses all credibility.

The current government's incompetence has lost Thailand billions of Baht and unlike Yingluck it has no democratic mandate.Do they deserve to be in prison?

Are you quite certain about the loss of billions by the current government.

Can you produce numbers, adjusted for changes?

Or are you just venting your irritations?

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Foreign Minister Don Pramudwinai has denied a report of unknown origin that Britain had granted fugitive ex-premier Yingluck Shinawatra a passport.

skipping on the issue of the competence of the foreign minister, why is this passport even an issue ? there would never be an extraditon whether or not she gets/has a british passport

15 hours ago, jayboy said:

Yes they do, basically any public official who has been corrupt should be in jail. Are you British by any chance? If you were you would understand why am so pissed about even the notion of YL getting a passport. She has no blood (or family) ties to the  UK, and being convicted of crimes, and effectively on the lam should never be considered for a passport.
I understand the Junta's illegitimacy all too well, but YL is not a political refugee, the ones who should get asylum would be people like Pai Dao Din (if he were ever made to flee that is) although he took his underserved punisment like a man.

The farmers committing suicide is directly linked to YL dissolving parliament on a n arrogant whim and leaving the people her govt pledged to help up shit creek without a paddle. Nothing about credibility Jayboy, get a grip.

7 hours ago, markaoffy said:

So what visa is she on in UK? Privileged! Anyone from outside the EU( the wasters and losers) has to have influence and money to stay long term in UK, namely Russians and Arabs

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

She has been granted a UK passport upon my (loyal and upstanding English citizen of much respect) recommendation,she shows her gratitute to me daily in the most delightful feminine way.....leave her alone now please :clap2:

Yes they do, basically any public official who has been corrupt should be in jail. Are you British by any chance? If you were you would understand why am so pissed about even the notion of YL getting a passport. She has no blood (or family) ties to the  UK, and being convicted of crimes, and effectively on the lam should never be considered for a passport.
I understand the Junta's illegitimacy all too well, but YL is not a political refugee, the ones who should get asylum would be people like Pai Dao Din (if he were ever made to flee that is) although he took his underserved punisment like a man.

The farmers committing suicide is directly linked to YL dissolving parliament on a n arrogant whim and leaving the people her govt pledged to help up shit creek without a paddle. Nothing about credibility Jayboy, get a grip.

There is no evidence of corruption on Yingluck’s part.Even her enemies understood that.

The UK like all civilized states considers her the victim of a political vendetta.In fact she is in many senses a political refugee.

The “offense” she has been convicted of is not an offense elsewhere.No need to comment on the impartiality of the Thai courts.

She has plenty of ties with the UK where as a legitimate democratic leader she was welcomed by all including HM the Queen and the PM.

Finally it is a fact universally recognized that any dope who starts wittering about farmers suicides loses the argument.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

19 hours ago, doctormann said:

That is a disingenuous comparison. She got the passport through heritage. A grand-parent

or something. Yingluk has no such connection and the report is false. The UK as with many

countries offer legal residency to big investors in the country, but not instant passports/citizenship.

At least none that I am aware off.

4 minutes ago, Ulic said:

That is a disingenuous comparison. She got the passport through heritage. A grand-parent

or something. Yingluk has no such connection and the report is false. The UK as with many

countries offer legal residency to big investors in the country, but not instant passports/citizenship.

At least none that I am aware off.

As I said, nothing really to do with Yingluck.  I am merely pointing out that things can be expedited.  Zola Budd received her British passport in ten days, largely because of pressure from UK media, specifically the Daily Mail, I believe.

Neither of Zola's parents were British by birth.  Her grandfather, Frank Budd, was British by birth but emigrated to South Africa.  This may have helped her citizenship application but, in the normal course of events, the process would have taken many months, not ten days!

So what visa is she on in UK? Privileged! Anyone from outside the EU( the wasters and losers) has to have influence and money to stay long term in UK, namely Russians and Arabs

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

It is of course possible that she is not on any visa. She may have been admitted to the UK and given permission to stay, because of who she is and her circumstances i.e. an elected Prime Minister whose possible re-election was prevented by a military coup, which installed a junta government which has subsequently prosecuted, convicted and sentenced her.

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

As they don't know their ass's from their elbow's and live in the Dark Ages for most of the time i doubt they know anything at all about anyone's Passport that is not in front of their noses !

Her Britannic Majesties Home Office, or the Thai Government?
It could apply equally to both!
[emoji4]

Sent from my KENNY using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app