Lifting of political ban still not appropriate in current circumstances: NCPO sec-gen

webfact

Lifting of political ban still not appropriate in current circumstances: NCPO sec-gen

By The Nation

4a2144646e541518e69e95bbb3723720.jpeg

A weapon cache that has been found in Chachoengsao is cited a s a reason by the NCPO not lift the political ban.

After considering the overall situation, and not just the recent discovery of war weapons, it was not deemed appropriate to lift the ban on political activities, the secretary-general of the National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) said on Monday.

General Chalermchai Sitthisat, who is also the Army chief, said that if political parties were adversely affected in any way by the continuation of the ban, remedial measures would be taken.

When considering removing the restriction, the NCPO looked at the overall picture, taking into account all the elements and not solely the discovery of the weapons, he stressed.

It considered the country’s laws as well as other situations and movements too, the general added.

Overall, it was not considered appropriate to allow a loosening of political movement, the NCPO secretary-general concluded, reasoning that taking such a step at this stage could bring about other problems.

However, the NCPO meets every Tuesday to assess the situation, Chalermchai said.

Asked if he would like to send any message to politicians who were looking forward to the lifting of the political ban, he replied that he understood how they felt.

Politics is about dealing with different opinions for the better, but if differences turned into conflict, the security sector needed to draw a line to contain the conflict in order to avoid damage to the country, he explained.

“So, unless we have confidence [in the overall situation], we won’t let go [of the ban],” the secretary-general said. “But we have the same goal, which is the [national] election.”

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333153

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-04

You'll see my many of my posts I'm not a Juntaist by any standard. But can you imagine what would happen if political parties started to campaign and gather almost 1 year before an election? We'd be back to the days of red shirt, yellow shirt after 6 months giving the Junta a real reason to stay in power. All smoke and mirrors at the moment but I'm sure it will all turn out for the good of the Thai people, fingers crossed

I don't buy this excuse. Which democratic country in the world do not have raucous and noisy political activities. This is just part of the political process and it is up to the enforcement agencies to control the situation and be fair with the implementation and not take side or advantage of the situation which will anger one side. Moreover the junta has re-written the public assembly laws and there are now stricter rules and conditions for approving any gatherings. It is just a cop out excuse to use this standard line to refuse the lifting of the political ban which will effectively delay election. 

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

You'll see my many of my posts I'm not a Juntaist by any standard. But can you imagine what would happen if political parties started to campaign and gather almost 1 year before an election? We'd be back to the days of red shirt, yellow shirt after 6 months giving the Junta a real reason to stay in power. All smoke and mirrors at the moment but I'm sure it will all turn out for the good of the Thai people, fingers crossed

Red shirts and yellow shirts don't protest for the sake of it. There are regular patterns that can be observed.

When red shirts protest, it is to get (or support) elections. I don't see why they would get in conflict with the yellow shirts on this matter.

When yellow shirts protest, it is to oust a PTP government. As PTP is not governing, I don't see why they would protest.

So your assumption doesn't make sense at all.

WMD; that young Bush boy knows how to look for them. Maybe they should seek professional help?

“So, unless we have confidence [in the overall situation], we won’t let go [of the ban],” the secretary-general said. “But we have the same goal, which is the [national] election.”  I would have thought it read 'stay in power'.

20 minutes ago, candide said:

Red shirts and yellow shirts don't protest for the sake of it. There are regular patterns that can be observed.

When red shirts protest, it is to get (or support) elections. I don't see why they would get in conflict with the yellow shirts on this matter.

When yellow shirts protest, it is to oust a PTP government. As PTP is not governing, I don't see why they would protest.

Yes If does if you are not thick,

3 hours ago, baboon said:

Is there anyone who didn't see this coming a mile off? Anyone at all?

You mean apart from the few resident TV coup apologists ?

Probably a few naive members of the public out there who swallow it all when they are not busy taking selfies.

5 hours ago, Dave67 said:

It's not really smoke and mirrors. Smoke and mirrors actually fools some of the people some of the time. The junta is too dumb to play smoke and mirrors. 

7 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

It's not really smoke and mirrors. Smoke and mirrors actually fools some of the people some of the time. The junta is too dumb to play smoke and mirrors. 

Probably right. I still think almost a year before the election it too early to open  up political debate, there will still be a huge divide in the Thailand which could quite easily get heated

9 hours ago, candide said:

I'll give you a proper response this time.If the political situation swings in favour of PT. I would assume the yellows would be up in arms to invoke a military intervention which they did before and blocked polling stations to prevent people voting.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

but if differences turned into conflict, the security sector needed to draw a line to contain the conflict in order to avoid damage to the country

If any political party proposes during the campaign period an agenda that deviates from the NCPO's 20-year Reform Plan, proposes changes in recently passed organic laws, or even changes in the Constitution, can the junta justify (Article 44) sanctions (ie., remove candidates, ban party) against that political party under the guise of potentially bringing damage to the country?

It appears the junta is warning political parties that the junta expects political agendas not to depart from NCPO's agenda. Such would leave only minor differences between parties in their political platforms. This would be an ominous hurdle for bringing democracy to Thailand.

39 minutes ago, geoffrobbo said:

So the army discovers some weapons so the army can maintain the political ban. Very interesting. 

It was dial a bomber time again Amazing when things get to quiet and everything seems peaceful to have an election bombs are suddenly found again Just unlucky i guess?:clap2:

16 hours ago, stephen tracy said:

Stephen, if you've got most of the guns, the might and control, you really don't have to worry too much about whether anyone believes you or not! No need for smoke and mirrors. 

Dumb - they're the ones in control with wealth and power. 

And whilst many Western politicians have to rely on smoke and mirrors to get elected, the likes of Russian and Chinese and quite a few others now, don't. 

10 hours ago, Dave67 said:

I'll give you a proper response this time.If the political situation swings in favour of PT. I would assume the yellows would be up in arms to invoke a military intervention which they did before and blocked polling stations to prevent people voting.

I get it!

However, it would be only possible if the Army agrees with them.

Actually, some could even consider (not me, of course :wink:) that it could be a plan B for the Junta to stay in power.

Let's consider this purely hypothetical situation. If the army agrees with them (and more generally, the dominant network agrees), does it really make a difference if they start one year or 6 months before elections? How much time is needed to mobilise enough protesters, from the time money starts to flow?

10 hours ago, Dave67 said:

That makes more sense than your original post. Still no excuse to ban political activity though, political leanings are hugely divided anywhere in the world.

6 minutes ago, jesimps said:

That makes more sense than your original post. Still no excuse to ban political activity though, political leanings are hugely divided anywhere in the world.

Not so violently though hence all the military coups

On 12/4/2017 at 3:45 PM, webfact said:

It considered the country’s laws as well as other situations and movements too, the general added.

Overall, it was not considered appropriate to allow a loosening of political movement, the NCPO secretary-general concluded, reasoning that taking such a step at this stage could bring about other problems.

this is all propaganda and fantasy