Pattaya death driver - epilepsy claims disputed as drugs found

webfact

Breaking:

Pattaya death driver - epilepsy claims disputed as drugs found

24313202_1773706639597477_342390502598119215_o.jpg

Image: Channel 3

The driver who mowed down a group of motorcyclists killing two on Monday morning has been found with drugs in his system.

Thai Rath TV reported that he can no longer claim to be epileptic.

Akkaradech Udomrat, 44, claimed that he had had an epileptic seizure that caused him to plow into motorcyclists - many of them children on the way to school - on the wrong side of the road in South Pattaya yesterday at 7am.

Two people were killed and four remain hospitalized.

Video footage shows the carnage as the black pick-up collides head on with a rider then veers to the right causing mayhem in the early morning traffic.

Akkaradech was given an alcohol test that came back negative. Details of the test slip were shown on TV.

But police said that later he was tested for drugs and this came back positive. He was charged with driving with drugs in his system that carries a four year prison term.

This was added to three other charges related to negligent driving causing death and injury filed earlier.

Source: Thai Rath

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-12-05

If driving high as a kite then throw the key away. That said if it is medication he takes creating a false positive then he should be given leniency.

The cops here are very fickle though. I suspect the guy is toast

That is a shocking revelation and one which should see this guy jailed for murder. From what I read yesterday morning, he hit someone near Tukcom and then took off, before plowing into the crowd of bikes while trying to escape. A very serious message needs to be sent out that hit and runs will be punished very, very severely and this guy seems a great place to start.

easy enough to check if the driver has a medical history of epilepsy, if on medication and whether or not allowed to drive due to the condition. then again this would require time and effort spent of investigation something the RTP is not renown for.

Deadly ‘Epileptic’ Driver Was Also Totally High: Police

By Chayanit Itthipongmaetee, Staff Reporter

IMG_2552-696x464.jpg

PATTAYA — A man who blamed an epileptic fit for causing a scene of carnage Monday on a Pattaya street that killed two tested positive for drug use, police said Tuesday.

Drugs were reportedly found last night in Akkaradet Udomrat’s blood. Though his medical records indicate the 44-year-old man has been diagnosed with epilepsy, he was charged with fatal recklessness while under the influence,  according to Pattaya police.

Full story:  http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/crime-crime/2017/12/05/deadly-epileptic-driver-also-totally-high-police/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2017-12-05

What's the problem here? The moment he mentioned epilepsy the police should have asked what hospital he was treated at. A phone call, or even better a visit to the hospital should reveal all relevant details: when was he diagnosed, what treatment he was on, contraindications, advice on driving, etc. As far as I know meth and yaba aren't recommended treatment for epilepsy, and his toxicology result should pinpoint what exactly he was on.

Life in jail, absolutely appalling, the justice system or what they believe it to be here, should send a clear message here, drugs and driving are not and will not be tolerated, but I wont be holding my breath, I will be looking out for these loose cannons on the road unfortunately, while the police keep blowing their whistles moving traffic along at schools, even though these cannons are flying past them.  

5 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Akkaradet Udomrat.

A little reseach into this chap reveals a lot about him and his family......I fear justice once again will never be served.

How could you research it and what were the results?

Edited by davethailand