Driver’s licence health rules to become stricter

Jonathan Fairfield

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to The Nation newspaper, the government has been trying to develop a law forbidding epileptics from getting a driver's license since 2007 when there was a fatal road accident in Bangkok caused by an epileptic.  So why would we expect something within a few more months to address this issue after the government has had a decade to develop something?  My guess is that we'll see no changes and not hear anything more about epileptic drivers until there is another fatal accident caused by an epileptic driver.  Pity!!!

13 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

"High blood pressure" is a tricky one... Specially given that the US has lowered the threashhold for high from 130 to 120, making millions of people suddenly be categorized sick with high blood pressure and as such, would not qualify for a drivers licence anymore...

...and big Pharma companies love it!

2 minutes ago, gamini said:

What about all those life time driving licences. I have one issued 40 years ago and I am 87. I am not capable of driving any more. I have a driver. How about all those elderly who still drive?

Yeah my wife has one of those....never been tested in over 20 years!

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And I suppose getting the certificate is the same, popping into any clinic and if you're still breathing, 150 baht, done & dusted.

You were ripped off. It only cost me 50 baht and didnt even see a doctor.

There are already five diseases that prohibit a person from obtaining a driver’s licence: elephantiasis, TB, leprosy, alcoholism and drug addiction.

The worst disease with the Latin name prayutitis is relatively harmful and will be eliminated within three days.

52 minutes ago, Swiss1960 said:

"High blood pressure" is a tricky one... Specially given that the US has lowered the threashhold for high from 130 to 120, making millions of people suddenly be categorized sick with high blood pressure and as such, would not qualify for a drivers licence anymore...

not sure I quite understand what you have posted, do you have a link

Normal accepted measurement of blood pressure consists of two readings - systolic and diastolic, 120/80 is the defacto normal BP for a healthy person, the upper one will rise naturally through exercise as the heart pumps faster and stronger to increase the blood flow, the lower will also rise but not to the same extent in a healthy person.

The lower one is the danger, at rest it indicates the resting pressure of the cardiovascular system between heartbeats, if it rises above 80 it means that the resting system is under increased constant pressure and over a long period will result in damage to the vascular system and vital organs, it is recognised that the lower reading of between 90-100 is mild hypertension (high blood pressure) and as this reading rises is becomes more serious and should be treated      

Edited by smedly

1 hour ago, JimHuaHin said:

While one understands the desire that people suffering from epileptic seizures and brain diseases be denied a driver's licence, as well as individuals suffering severe cases of myocardial infraction, morbid diabetes, severe alcoholism and certain severe drug addictions, and possibly severe untreatable TB; the logic of the other diseases listed escapes me.

The absence of individuals infected with severe aggressive behaviour syndrome (SABS) [I just invented it], it is my road, get out of my way syndrome (MRMYS) [another new invention] or the more common me me me first syndrome (MMMFS) [another new one] from the list of 10 diseases is surprising.

How can TB be justified? Quackery on their part. They might as well add on to the list premature ejaculators. 

17 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What about adding Mental illness,if it was enforced ,i think 

quite a few drivers already on the roads would lose their

licenses,the one's that loose it when you sound your horn 

at them ,when they have nearly taken the front off your vehicle

by cutting you off.

regards worgeordie

Aye there's quite a few of them think it's ok for them to carve you up! After all it is their country and they can do what they want so I've been told!!!!

40 minutes ago, DavisH said:

...and big Pharma companies love it!

They would be wrong to involve doctors when looking for guarantees, but if they do, rather than asking if High BP is a reason not to issue a licence? to which the answer will always be ‘yes’, the question should be, is there any reason why a person with high BP shouldn’t drive? to which the answer will be no. 

36 minutes ago, smedly said:

not sure I quite understand what you have posted, do you have a link

Normal accepted measurement of blood pressure consists of two readings - systolic and diastolic, 120/80 is the defacto normal BP for a healthy person, the upper one will rise naturally through exercise as the heart pumps faster and stronger to increase the blood flow, the lower will also rise but not to the same extent in a healthy person.

The lower one is the danger, at rest it indicates the resting pressure of the cardiovascular system between heartbeats, if it rises above 80 it means that the resting system is under increased constant pressure and over a long period will result in damage to the vascular system and vital organs, it is recognised that the lower reading of between 90-100 is mild hypertension (high blood pressure) and as this reading rises is becomes more serious and should be treated      

ok just checked, I hope the Thai authorities realise that a considerable chunk of drivers in Thailand could be technically described as having high blood pressure, it would be millions of people likely including many of the people who are trying to pass this legislation  

Rather than all these health regulations for a drivers license start testing people for eye glass requirements and force them to wear then if they require glasses Now there is NO test or regulation If you cannot see the road or cars around you how can you drive properly

The way Thais drive, I suspect every falangs suffers from high blood pressure behind the wheel or astride a motorbike. Maybe they should issue cops with hypertension monitors as well as breathalysers!.

Seriously, can the lawmakers cite a single case of high blood pressure causing any of the 20,000 or so annual road deaths?  I doubt it, because most sufferers from hypertension, diabetes and epilepsy keep their condition under control with medication.

A far more sensible way to cut the carnage on would be to rigorously enforce existing laws which are routinely flouted - such as those against driving while drunk or using a mobile phone.

Of course, this would mean the boys in brown having to get off their shiny backsides. So much easier to have nonsensical blanket legislation that penalises the wrong people.

Edited by Krataiboy

An old, Rich White guy from Snotsdale with a fake address on his driver's license hit me a few years ago.  Claimed I hit him.  His insurance denied my claim.  We went to arbitration.  I had pictures.

I won.  I would have sued him for more, but he looked like "death warmed over" and would probably be deceased before the lawsuit was concluded (you can't sue dead people in America).

Get these morons off the road and into a Taxi, Uber or Grab. 

Jesus <deleted> Christ. ?

Edited by SiSePuede419
Corrected Autocorrect ?

45 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Seriously, can the lawmakers cite a single case of high blood pressure causing any of the 20,000 or so annual road deaths? 

No..... brake failure has already been recorded.... thanks for coming ???

I get the feeling their are a few NIMBYs on this thread.

There comes a time when you have admit that you are unable to drive...or rather just plain unsafe.

I fail to see the difference between a pro driver or a private one...the guy in the crash wasn't a bus driver but still managed to kill.

When it's time to stop it's time to stop... especially in Thailand

20 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) is preparing a ministerial regulation to prohibit those with five health issues from obtaining a driver’s licence.

Not only preventing those from obtaining a licence, but also suspending licences from those who already hold licences...

Further more should be if a doctor believes that a patient is unfit through theses or any other condition that there should be proper procedure in advising the patient that includes notifying the land transport department and seeing that the patient is properly informed it is the doctors considered opinion  that they are unfit to drive.

20 hours ago, worgeordie said:

What about adding Mental illness,if it was enforced ,i think 

quite a few drivers already on the roads would lose their

licenses,the one's that loose it when you sound your horn 

at them ,when they have nearly taken the front off your vehicle

by cutting you off.

regards worgeordie

LOL...may as well just add "Thainess" to that list of illnesses...:smile:

This - A knee jerk response to the latest accident which actually was allegedly a result of Yabba consumption and not a medical condition. 

Thailand and those in positions of decisions making power fall under the gross and completely negligent misunderstanding of its base issues...  

....The laws and regulations which exist here are already quite sufficient. For the most part the laws and regulations are pretty good and not too dissimilar to many of the rules and regulations which exist in our home countries.... 

....The singular, primary and outstanding issue is the absolute ineffectiveness of the nations police force to enforce any of these rules and regulations. For whatever reasons, be them, apathy, corruption, poor education etc... the simple matter exists that those in positions of decision making power have done nothing and continue to do nothing to encourage Thailands Police force to function in a manner which best serves the people it pretends to protect.

I hope the new list takes into account that there is a difference between an untreated medical condition and a treated, well controlled condition. If everybody with a diagnosis of epilepsy,  high blood pressure and a former cardiac infarction should loose their licences, this would affect not a few , but thousands, if not millions of drivers. 

As for the existing rules, what is the rationale for denying people with tuberculosis a licence, unless it has spread outside the lungs?  Lungs are normally not a central organ for driving a car.

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

I would have thought that any of these illnesses should have been just reason not to issue a driving license already. While this is a tiny step in the right direction, taking action against the healthy, but speeding, negligent and reckless drivers should be more of a priority if they ever really want to bring accidents and deaths down.

They're supposed to be!! In fact when I first applied for  a Thai driving license - I now have both car and motorcycle licenses here - the doctor had to sign me a health certificate towards my application stating that I didn't have epilepsy!.. how can it now suddenly be even a debate, for christ's sake???

Edited by spectrumisgreen

So they're actually saying, admitting, that there are people with epilepsy - brought under control by medication or not.. whatever, right? - allowed to quite LEGALLY drive motorised vehicles on Thai roads, regardless of whether they might, without warning, suddenly and uncontrollably.. you know, say wipe out a <deleted> streetful of people on some nice sunny day???!!! <deleted>??? Like apparently being pissed behind the wheel, here, can that be an excuse for Thais now? - [Just imagine the Thai version of:] 'Sorry I killed those folks, that family, that I just ran over, but I have regular uncontrollable seizures!'.. ('Oh I see.. ok, sir.. sorry for stopping you.. and have a nice, safe, ride home, yeah?)... <deleted>.

Edited by spectrumisgreen