Mum put ‘naughty’ girl in chains ‘to protect her’

Jonathan Fairfield

Mum put ‘naughty’ girl in chains ‘to protect her’

n7.jpeg

A 33-year-old Myanmar woman, who received officials’ warning for putting her seven-year-old daughter in chains in front of their apartment in Phuket’s Muang district, claimed she did so out of love and caring because the “naughty” girl could be harmed or run over by a car, officials said.

After an image of the chained girl was shared on Thai social media, and subsequent child abuse complaints, Phuket children and family home care head Atchara Surakul and other officials went to inspect the apartment at 10am on Tuesday.

n8.jpeg

They told the family via a Myanmar language interpreter that they couldn’t chain a child, then took the mother, stepfather and children to Muang Phuket Police Station to record the incident. 

Officials took the girl and her nine-year-old brother into temporary care pending an inquiry into the family’s situation.

Atchara said the mother claimed that the girl was naughty and the chain was used to keep her from harm while the mother took care of a one-month-old child born to her and her new Myanmar husband. The couple both worked in the construction worker industry. 

Officials said the seven-year-old girl also had bruises, and the mother had admitted hitting her for being naughty.

The Myanmar woman, whose name was withheld pending investigation, has five children – four of them from her previous husband. Three of these – the “naughty” girl and her siblings aged 17 and 9 – came to stay with her in Thailand five months ago. 

Atchara said the authorities did not want to take the children away, but they had to move two of the children as a temporary measure. She said officials would talk to the mother about how to raise children. A multidiscipline team would also discuss concrete ways to help the family.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333236

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-05

3 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Atchara said the mother claimed that the girl was naughty and the chain was used to keep her from harm while the mother took care of a one-month-old child born to her and her new Myanmar husband. The couple both worked in the construction worker industry.

Good enough for me.

That said she should have used birth control . 5 kids is at least 4 too much.

6 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Good enough for me.

That said she should have used birth control . 5 kids is at least 4 too much.

Yes, in this specific case she should not have more than one child. Especially after beeing without them for long time already as I read they just came to stay a few month ago.
In other cases there is parents that are able to care for more than 5 children.

4 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Meanwhile in Issan, thousands of children are dumped on aged grandparents who abuse them.

But hey, the are not from Myanmar.

Pffff.

And you took that out of thin air. It´s always the ones that abuse that you read about and see. Maybe that, in reality stands for 0,5-1%.
All the other grandparents you not see take good care of and love thier grandchildren very much.

Over all it´s just to put the question "What happened to normal sense, love and parenting in this case?"

2 hours ago, Get Real said:

And you took that out of thin air. It´s always the ones that abuse that you read about and see. Maybe that, in reality stands for 0,5-1%.

You accuse the poster you quoted for creating a stat out of thin air, then do exactly the same thing?

2 minutes ago, lupin said:

You accuse the poster you quoted for creating a stat out of thin air, then do exactly the same thing?

It would be nice to for you to have a better understanding of what you read. Maybe that is not one of your strongest qualities.

"Meanwhile in Issan, thousands of children are dumped on aged grandparents who abuse them" - That is stating a knowledge of hard facts.

"Maybe that, in reality stands for 0,5-1%"  - That is not trying to state a fact. That is called an estimation that includes "maybe" which indicates it can be a different value.

Todays "Read & Understand Lesson" is over. 
:smile:

I don't know about this case, but once had a business associate whose daughter was "way out there".  Autism, perhaps, I don't recall the diagnosis.  At the time she was perhaps 14-15 years old.  She was as strong as a chimpanzee and would dance or rock back and forth when she was around.  Constant motion, like a Muay Thai fighter. The furniture in her bedroom was nailed down to the floor and wall.  I think they finally had to put her in an institution.  I was afraid of that child.  She was a wild animal.  Sad ... Alice was her name as I recall.

13 hours ago, Happy enough said:

i always thought it was bloody cruel when i see monkeys chained up outside places but a little kid!! dear oh dear

...i knew of a mother in Australia-land who regularly put a dog collar round her 8yr olds neck and clipped him to the clothes line so as he wouldnt nick off...out of love of course.

11 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Meanwhile in Issan, thousands of children are dumped on aged grandparents who abuse them.

But hey, the are not from Myanmar.

Pffff.

I think you are quite wrong in your deluded assumption grandparents all abuse the grandchildren in their care.

Your comment is shameful.

4 minutes ago, hansnl said:

I think you are quite wrong in your deluded assumption grandparents all abuse the grandchildren in their care.

Your comment is shameful.

The point I was trying to covey, obviously badly, was that this type of abuse goes on everywhere and it appears to be newsworthy because the mother is form Myanmar..

Yes there are thousands of children dumped with grandparents SOME of whom are abused, but these cases seldom if ever make the news.

5 hours ago, Get Real said:

It would be nice to for you to have a better understanding of what you read. Maybe that is not one of your strongest qualities.

"Meanwhile in Issan, thousands of children are dumped on aged grandparents who abuse them" - That is stating a knowledge of hard facts.

"Maybe that, in reality stands for 0,5-1%"  - That is not trying to state a fact. That is called an estimation that includes "maybe" which indicates it can be a different value.

Todays "Read & Understand Lesson" is over. 
:smile:

Neither of you is stating a fact supported by credible evidence - and that's a fact.

52 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Neither of you is stating a fact supported by credible evidence - and that's a fact.

Get a grip! Since when is a comment with maybe inserted ever stating a fact. Read all before you come to next stupid conclusion.

As some members know, I now live in Myanmar (Naypyidaw).  

I regularly visit orphanages in Shan State to donate school-books etc etc.

Sadly, at some of these orphanages, I regularly see 'naughty' children chained to walls, to stop them creating 'mischief'.  The children seem not to be physically hit by the staff, just chained or tied to walls and pillars :(

Edited by simon43

22 hours ago, Get Real said:

Get a grip! Since when is a comment with maybe inserted ever stating a fact. Read all before you come to next stupid conclusion.

Thank you for confirming I was correct in observing that neither of you were stating a fact. Get real, Get Real!

3 hours ago, Krataiboy said:

Thank you for confirming I was correct in observing that neither of you were stating a fact. Get real, Get Real!

Nice to know that you still doesn´t understand what you read. As I see it on your posts before, they are all at the same low level. I will buy you a set as stairs. Just feel free to call for it. Cheers!