Phuket pickup truck driver charged after rear-ending woman stopped at red light

webfact

Phuket pickup truck driver charged after rear-ending woman stopped at red light

Eakkapop Thongtub

1512535776_1-org.jpg

The video clip posted on Facebook clearly shows the pickup slamming the stationery motorbike (circled) from behind. Photo: Screengrab

PHUKET: Phuket City police have today (Dec 6) confirmed that an unnamed pickup truck driver has been charged with reckless driving following a video clip of the man slamming his pickup into the back of motorbike stopped at red lights and leaving a female driver seriously injured was posted to Facebook by ‘Tal Pro Medic Phuket’ at about 11am yesterday (Dec 5).

“The man in the pick-up truck was charged with reckless driving after he presented himself to police the next morning, yesterday (Dec 5),” said Maj Akkadej Pongprom of Phuket City Police.

The video clip of about 39 seconds was initially posted by Kusoldharm rescue volunteer Mr ‘Chukiat Ayuperm’, with the message, “Let’s help find him… The woman must be very troubled because she is injured and the motorbike was destroyed.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-pickup-truck-driver-charged-after-rear-ending-woman-stopped-at-red-light-64991.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-12-06

I arrived at the scene to find only a yellow and white Honda Click scooter, there was no injured persons. Rescue workers and I then searched various hospitals and found that the injured woman had been taken to Vachira Phuket Hospital by the pickup truck driver, but he was not at the hospital,” said police.

Finally someone who did a decent thing after causing an accident!

Instead of driving off and claiming he had a seizure, was in shock, or did not notice hitting someone, he took accountability and took the woman to the hospital.

35 minutes ago, Bob12345 said:

Finally someone who did a decent thing after causing an accident!

Instead of driving off and claiming he had a seizure, was in shock, or did not notice hitting someone, he took accountability and took the woman to the hospital.

A decent thing by driving drunk and seriously injuring a woman.Most commendable.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

A decent thing by driving drunk and seriously injuring a woman.Most commendable.

you don't know he was drunk, accidents happen without alcohol or drugs. He could have just driven off but decided to help. You would complain about the draft caused by a butterfly's wings. 

21 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

you don't know he was drunk, accidents happen without alcohol or drugs. He could have just driven off but decided to help. You would complain about the draft caused by a butterfly's wings. 

Try reading the story  before you comment. Why do think he didn't report to the police until the next day?

24 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Try reading the story  before you comment. Why do think he didn't report to the police until the next day?

I did, one say's he seemed to be drunk, He left in a hurry to get to work, 5 and a half hours later he went to the police who said he didn't seem to be drunk, if you are drunk 5 and a half hours wont make a huge difference. Let us say he was drunk then, all the more reason to admire the fact that he took her to hospital instead of running off which many would have done.

2 hours ago, soalbundy said:

I did, one say's he seemed to be drunk, He left in a hurry to get to work, 5 and a half hours later he went to the police who said he didn't seem to be drunk, if you are drunk 5 and a half hours wont make a huge difference. Let us say he was drunk then, all the more reason to admire the fact that he took her to hospital instead of running off which many would have done.

Perhaps too many witnesses to do a hit and run?

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

Why don't you read the story before making accusations?  Where did it say he was drunk?   He may have been but also he may not have been. 

17 hours ago, giddyup said:

If you read better you might have noticed i said he did a decent thing AFTER causing the accident.

Driving drunk is your assumption, and seriously injuring a woman (she wasn't seriously injured according to the article) happened during the accident.

Of course he could have been drunk and also had enough compassion to help his victim.       

Then to become scarce after the lady had been tended to would be a natural self protection measure.

Edited by Old Croc

If any one's paying attention to the video still, you can see that the bike didn't have a working tail-light.

I'm not advocating any blame here, just want to point that out.

I would hate to die, or have life changing injuries because I couldn't be bothered to spend 20 Bt and the five minutes it takes  to change a bulb. Seems many, many bike riders don't agree with me.

40 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

If any one's paying attention to the video still, you can see that the bike didn't have a working tail-light.

I would hate to die, or have life changing injuries because I couldn't be bothered to spend 20 Bt and the five minutes it takes  to change a bulb. Seems many, many bike riders don't agree with me.

Agree, it seems to be an increasing number that is riding without, quite often also without front lights.

Most times, they don't know. They jump on and take off and never check lights.

Because my bikes are old and temperamental, I do a check before every journey.

The problem with the headlights is a different mentality.

Before it became mandatory for bike manufacturers to hard-wire the headlight permanently on, I used to have lots of other motorbikes pass me and with a hand-sign tell me that my headlight was on.

Once I tried to explain that the headlight wasn't for me to see by, but, for other motorists to see me.

The penny just didn't drop. Headlights are for you to see the road at nighttime. End of......

As for non-functioning headlights at night. There are street lights, so, I can still see the road.

Edited by KarenBravo

18 hours ago, soalbundy said:

Whoa. Your understanding of basic chemistry isn't correct. The Blood Alcohol limit in Thailand was lowered this  year to 0.5 g/litre, the same 0.05% BAC level as applies in the EU.  The typical male metabolizes the alcohol in a bottle of Leo  in about 90 minutes.   The driver  could have been over the limit when he ran down his victim and been well below the legal limit 5 hours later. For example, 4 leos would have caused him to be inebriated. 5 hours later, he would be legally sober and allowed to drive. Any remaining alcohol could be explained away by saying he had a beer for his nerves.

1 hour ago, KarenBravo said:

Most times, they don't know. They jump on and take off and never check lights.

Because my bikes are old and temperamental, I do a check before every journey.

The problem with the headlights is a different mentality.

Before it became mandatory for bike manufacturers to hard-wire the headlight permanently on, I used to have lots of other motorbikes pass me and with a hand-sign tell me that my headlight was on.

Once I tried to explain that the headlight wasn't for me to see by, but, for other motorists to see me.

The penny just didn't drop. Headlights are for you to see the road at nighttime. End of......

As for non-functioning headlights at night. There are street lights, so, I can still see the road.

My main point was, I think the number of lightless drivers has increased by a lot lately :)

5 hours ago, KarenBravo said:

Agreed about rear lights. I have to nag my wife to check if these lights work (Tail and Brake). Just no thought, nothing to do with the small money.  

17 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Whoa. Your understanding of basic chemistry isn't correct. The Blood Alcohol limit in Thailand was lowered this  year to 0.5 g/litre, the same 0.05% BAC level as applies in the EU.  The typical male metabolizes the alcohol in a bottle of Leo  in about 90 minutes.   The driver  could have been over the limit when he ran down his victim and been well below the legal limit 5 hours later. For example, 4 leos would have caused him to be inebriated. 5 hours later, he would be legally sober and allowed to drive. Any remaining alcohol could be explained away by saying he had a beer for his nerves.

True for a Caucasian but Asians don't metabolize alcohol well, I've seen some men in my village still partially drunk more than 12 hours after a village festival, half a Leo is enough to make my missus legless. I am not really arguing whether he was drunk or not, that he 'seemed drunk' to one witness could have been shock, he helped the girl by taking her to hospital which if he was drunk was risky for himself so he showed empathy and responsibility. Let us not throw stones, Thailand is 40 years behind the West as regards drinking and driving, I can remember when drinking and driving in Germany 40 years ago was regarded as almost normal, at the very worst it was a minor infringement, now it is almost on par with GBH or manslaughter, I remember driving back home from the disco drunk in those days and thought nothing of it but now I wouldn't touch half a glass if driving. 

On 12/7/2017 at 9:41 AM, KarenBravo said:

Errr- no. If you watch the actual video there IS a tail light clearly visible.

The video footage from the passing car is on the rescue people's facebook page.

Edited by Psimbo