Prawit to explain expensive watch to corruption watchdog

webfact

Prawit to explain expensive watch to corruption watchdog

By The Nation

3cb5fe97cf7abbf42aee931d30466c69.jpeg

Deputy PM and Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan on Wednesday said that he would clarify to the National Anti-Corruption Commission the reasons he was seen wearing an expensive, but undeclared watch.

Prawit came under fire when a photograph of him shading his eyes from the sun went viral on Monday, with social-media users drawing attention to his diamond ring and watch.

The timepiece looked similar to a model by Richard Mille, a brand popular among Hollywood and sports stars, which would have cost between Bt4 million and Bt10 million.

Such a pricey watch was not included in Prawit’s asset declaration back in 2014, when he started serving in the Cabinet, but it is possible that he obtained it since the declaration.

Speaking reluctantly, Prawit refused to elaborate on his possession on the watch. “It’s no use explaining to the media. I will just go one-shot with the NACC,” he said.

Political activist Srisuwan Janya planned to file a petition to the NACC to probe Prawit’s possession of the ring and watch on Thursday.

The NACC, appointed by the junta’s handpicked legislators, last year cleared suspects over procurement irregularities at the military-run Rajabhakti Royal Park.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30333306

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-12-06

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

The NACC, appointed by the junta’s handpicked legislators, last year cleared suspects over procurement irregularities at the military-run Rajabhakti Royal Park.

Even the Nation knows that the NACC is going to sweep this under the carpet.

8 minutes ago, webfact said:

“It’s no use explaining to the media. I will just go one-shot with the NACC,” he said.

The media won't believe him, even with all the restrictions. The NACC will. Anyone still believe that the NACC is independent?

What else needs to be said?

Edited by Samui Bodoh

I remember the old saying: 'a watch tells a lot about who wears it', at least it did in times when only members of longtime wealthy families could, and dared, showing off with expensice watches, whereas nowadays it rather seems to be a status symbol for 'parvenus', fresh money, whatever the smell of, people.

'Richard Mille' is a rather recent brand, manufacturing exquisite timepieces, well, what's inside the watches, as, IMO, outside of swats of money in excess(!), to buy one it takes, erm, an acquired taste (I'd even say bad taste, considering their looks), that when there are as highly priced, ...timeless, top-watches like from Patek Philippe, just to name one.

As for an army general to wear such stuff (a quite nice coutryside hospital could be built with...), to me, it's not only bad taste, senseless and shameless not covering it either, it's calling for names TV would not authorise, ...the same I hear from Thais about this story, which will be swiftly 'evacuated'.

And it says a lot too about the people associating with such a cartoonesk character. Do they care? Not a bit, I'm afraid.

2000 baht Pattaya beach road, didnt want to embarrass himself to the media, instead him and the NACC will have a good giggle about it behind closed doors whilst matching each others dicks trinkets, and announce it was all a misunderstanding .......blah blah blah!

P.S.: According to another picture I saw, it's not the only watch he owns though, on that one it was too small to put a brand on, but the dial had another colour, and the armband was two-tone metal. Maybe someone on TV knows more about this one? Vacheron-Constantin? 

1 hour ago, Eric Loh said:

He probably say that he borrowed from his hi-so family member or close friend and get them come out and read from a prepared statement. Just another bag load of s..t.

A family member I guess too (for the NACC to investigate then?), Khun Eric, couldn't pull this one with his maid, driver or gardener, could he...? (You remember though who did so, when and why, no doubt)

42 minutes ago, bangrak said:

A family member I guess too (for the NACC to investigate then?), Khun Eric, couldn't pull this one with his maid, driver or gardener, could he...? (You remember though who did so, when and why, no doubt)

That ruse by Potjaman didn't went well. It was investigated and back taxes were demanded. You can be sure that lap dog NACC will fold their arms nonchalantly and do absolutely nothing. 

12 minutes ago, jayboy said:

I inherited some land or I sold some land is the usual lie.Actually what interests me more is the stupefying vulgarity, vanity and cultural vacuum of a fat ugly old man acquiring a watch like this.

T'he man enjoys the cachet that attracts younger women as admirers of his wealth and  "good taste.

Edited by ratcatcher

3 hours ago, tso310 said:

I wonder if he can tell the time. Its time to step down matey.

Indeed.

On the other hand, in most countries, when you get to 70 years old and you're too old and stupid to cross the road, let alone help run a government, they forcibly retire you.

In Thailand, it's the first thing on the CV - 70 years old, tired and stupid, only 50% as smart as I used to be and I wasn't very smart then...

You're hired, you'll fit in perfectly.

Edited by Sid Celery

I think I got given one of those by our lesbian neighbours last birthday. Boy was I surprised.

Maybe something got lost in translation though. I remember being asked what special treat I wanted and I just said "I wanna watch!!".

:tongue:

4 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

He probably say that he borrowed from his hi-so family member or close friend and get them come out and read from a prepared statement. Just another bag load of s..t.

No need to Eric.

He will explain it to the NACC who will report they're happy with the explanation. Job done, no need for details.

Just like the Hawaii trip - all above board :whistling:

1 minute ago, Baerboxer said:

No need to Eric.

He will explain it to the NACC who will report they're happy with the explanation. Job done, no need for details.

Just like the Hawaii trip - all above board :whistling:

If we can't trust the politicians, who can we trust? ?