Thaksin Gives Live Interview To CNN

george

More lies:

"He certainly did not hire this company to fight against the government because this company does not fight against any government and does not side with any government," Noppadon said.

He denied that BGR contacted CNN to interview Thaksin in Singapore on January 15, saying that CNN contacted him to ask Thaksin for an interview. He said Thaksin will give interviews in Japan to three or four media and will talk about Thailand in a positive light.

After his stay in Japan, Thaksin will go to China, other Asian countries and the Middle East to meet friends and have a vacation, he added.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2007/01/22...cs_30024743.php

• Replies 403
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thaksin wants slate to be wiped clean if he is to return home

Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser said that if the former prime minister returned to Thailand, he would seek a meeting with the government and Council for National Security so that he would not be forced to pay for "his old debts".

Just no words in my vocabulary can describe this man's set. Does he walk around with a wheel barrel to hold them up?

Edited by John K

Interesting that the military junta government of Thailand allows the Nation (page 12a) to print US financed Burmese Resistance advisers attacks on the military junta next door in Myanmar; yet they get upset when Singapore allows the previously elected leader of Thailand to address the world from Singapore. Double standards?

Thais have been suspicious of Singapore's motives for years.The Kra canal supposed to have been built to shorten the shipping time and distance between the South China Sea and the Indian Ocean never got off the ground, partly many feel because Singapore had much to lose and thus paid off the relevant authorities at the time.

Criticism and delays of Suwannapum were also supposed to be Singapore inspired.

True or not, the point is many Thais feel Singapore tries to put Thailand down whenever they get a chance, which makes Thaksin's salvo fired from Singapore rather foolish as it only led to most Thais supporting the retaliatory measures.

Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser said that if the former prime minister returned to Thailand, he would seek a meeting with the government and Council for National Security so that he would not be forced to pay for "his old debts". :D

Noppadon Pattama was speaking after Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said on Saturday that Thaksin could return home if he promised to cease all political activities.

He denied that Thaksin hired US-based lobbying company Barbour, Griffith & Rogers (BGR) to counter the government. He said Thaksin just wanted the company to check information disseminated overseas about the situation after the September 19 coup. :o

"He certainly did not hire this company to fight against the government because this company does not fight against any government and does not side with any government," Noppadon said.

He denied that BGR contacted CNN to interview Thaksin in Singapore on January 15, saying that CNN contacted him to ask Thaksin for an interview. He said Thaksin will give interviews in Japan to three or four media and will talk about Thailand in a positive light. :D

Noppadon declined to clarify what Thaksin meant when he told CNN that if the government wanted reconciliation, it must issue an amnesty.

After his stay in Japan, Thaksin will go to China, other Asian countries and the Middle East to meet friends and have a vacation, he added.

Noppadon defended himself against media comments that he was not loyal to the monarchy even though he received a royal scholarship to study abroad. "I am loyal to every royal member, but I am a lawyer and I give legal advice," he said. :D

- The Nation

Sonthi Limtongkun provoked Noppadon's defence of loyalty to the Crown. On his weekly show on Friday he compared Noppadon to the King's dog Thongdaeng.

1.Noppadon came from a poor family in Khorat, stayed in a temple when studying in Bangkok before winning a King's scholarship to England to study law where he got a First with Honours, he completed his studies at The Bar in London before coming back to Thailand,( very impressive).

But, Sonthi said, unlike other recepients of The King's scholarship Noppadorn was ungrateful, finally going to work for Thaksin, a man many believe has committed slights or worse against his Majesty.

Thondaeng, like Noppadon came from the temple and was poor, and like Noppadon was helped by The King.

But unlike Noppadon, she repaid The King's kindness with love and loyalty, she understands gratitude.

Sonthi then went on to compare their facial features, eyes and ears!

At times he's outrageous but he's never boring!

Thaksin Shinawatra's legal adviser said that if the former prime minister returned to Thailand, he would seek a meeting with the government and Council for National Security so that he would not be forced to pay for "his old debts". :D

Noppadon Pattama was speaking after Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said on Saturday that Thaksin could return home if he promised to cease all political activities.

He denied that Thaksin hired US-based lobbying company Barbour, Griffith & Rogers (BGR) to counter the government. He said Thaksin just wanted the company to check information disseminated overseas about the situation after the September 19 coup. :o

He denied that BGR contacted CNN to interview Thaksin in Singapore on January 15, saying that CNN contacted him to ask Thaksin for an interview. He said Thaksin will give interviews in Japan to three or four media and will talk about Thailand in a positive light. :D

Noppadon declined to clarify what Thaksin meant when he told CNN that if the government wanted reconciliation, it must issue an amnesty.

Noppadon defended himself against media comments that he was not loyal to the monarchy even though he received a royal scholarship to study abroad. "I am loyal to every royal member, but I am a lawyer and I give legal advice," he said. :D

- The Nation

Sonthi Limtongkun provoked Noppadon's defence of loyalty to the Crown. On his weekly show on Friday he compared Noppadon to the King's dog Thongdaeng.

1.Noppadon came from a poor family in Khorat, stayed in a temple when studying in Bangkok before winning a King's scholarship to England to study law where he got a First with Honours, he completed his studies at The Bar in London before coming back to Thailand,( very impressive).

But, Sonthi said, unlike other recepients of The King's scholarship Noppadorn was ungrateful, finally going to work for Thaksin, a man many believe has committed slights or worse against his Majesty.

Thondaeng, like Noppadon came from the temple and was poor, and like Noppadon was helped by The King.

But unlike Noppadon, she repaid The King's kindness with love and loyalty, she understands gratitude.

Sonthi then went on to compare their facial features, eyes and ears!

At times he's outrageous but he's never boring!

We also saw that last Friday, my wife thought it was pretty funny, and true. :D

Junta chief General Sonthi Boonyaratglin in October said investigators had failed to uncover solid evidence.

Thaksin also said he did not regret his policies in the Muslim, where his heavy-handed tactics were blamed for exacerbating a three-year separatist insurgency.

“For those terrorists you have to use iron fist ... sometimes they just try to focus on my iron fist, but actually I have done a lot on the velvet glove side,” he told CNN.

Thaksin denied involvement in the December 31 bombs that killed three, and said he had had enough of politics.

But although Thaksin claims he has no intention of returning to politics, the South China Morning Post reported Friday that he had engaged a Washington lobby group.

When in Singapore last week, he conducted the interview with CNN and met a deputy prime minister, prompting Thailand to issue a strong rebuke to the city-state.

Asked about why he was in Singapore, Thaksin replied: “Well you know I travelled here to play golf. And (meet) some old friends

nope , no politics here ................

move along folks ,

nothing to see here ......................... :o

Thaksin calls for royal amnesty

Thaksin said in an interview with CNN broadcast yesterday.

http://www.gulf-times.com/site/topics/arti...mp;parent_id=25

----------------------------------------------------

:o

I read that article. Silly buggger still thinks the world revolves around his circular mindset. :D:bah:

But my favourite quote:

“I never bend the rules,” said billionaire businessman Thaksin.

:D :D :D

*above noted article detailed here with comments by Thaksin in reference to His Majesty The King omitted*

Thaksin calls for royal amnesty

Thaksin said in an interview with CNN broadcast yesterday.

In the interview, like extracts broadcast earlier in the week blocked from Thailand by cable operator UBC, Thaksin said he would not return for now because he wanted the army to manage a national reconciliation.

The interview, conducted in Singapore, was blocked because the cable operator had cooperated with the military’s “request for cooperation”, Army chief Sonthi Boonyaratglin said.

Thaksin said he did not want his return to cause unrest in the country, but was willing to go back to defend himself on corruption charges.

“If I have to go to testify, I go. But now the reason I’m not going back yet because I want unity in the country. I want the administration to do the reconciliation. I want everyone to unite, to move the country forward together.”

After months of repeated calls by the government and the CNS for Thaksin to stay aboard, Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said yesterday a return was negotiable.

Thaksin said if he were allowed to return home, he would not return to politics, but work in academic life and for charity and spend time with his family.

He said he was looking to buy a house in London, where he owns an apartment, and might travel around the world if not allowed to return.

Thaksin denied allegations of corruption and abuse of power.

Thaksin insisted that he obeyed the law during a controversial business deal involving Shin Corp, the telecom giant he founded.

“In selling equity through the stock exchange, it’s tax exempt by law,” Thaksin told CNN.

“It’s not because of you are a prime minister or not prime minister you have to pay tax or not pay tax. The law said that you don’t have (to),” he added.

Thaksin also said he did not regret his policies in the Muslim, where his heavy-handed tactics were blamed for exacerbating a three-year separatist insurgency.

“For those terrorists you have to use iron fist ... sometimes they just try to focus on my iron fist, but actually I have done a lot on the velvet glove side,” he told CNN.

Thaksin denied involvement in the December 31 bombs that killed three, and said he had had enough of politics.

But although Thaksin claims he has no intention of returning to politics, the South China Morning Post reported Friday that he had engaged a Washington lobby group.

When in Singapore last week, he conducted the interview with CNN and met a deputy prime minister, prompting Thailand to issue a strong rebuke to the city-state.

Asked about why he was in Singapore, Thaksin replied: “Well you know I travelled here to play golf. And (meet) some old friends.”

– Gulf Times (various Agencies)

another day, another country, another interview... :o

whaddyalookinat.jpg

Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra speaks during an interview with Japan's regional daily Nishinippon Shimbun Monday, Jan. 22, 2007 in Tokyo. Thaksin said he would not be returning immediately to his homeland despite the recent reversal of a travel ban imposed by the military-installed government in Bangkok in the interview, the daily said.

AP

Edited by sriracha john

Japanese interview:

Ousted prime minister says no plans for early return to Thailand

TOKYO: Thailand's ousted prime minister, Thaksin Shinawatra, said Monday he would not be returning immediately to his homeland despite the recent reversal of a travel ban imposed by the military-installed government, a news report said.

The former leader also welcomed the recent detention of several suspects over a string of New Year's bombings, denying the alleged involvement of his supporters during an interview with the regional daily, Nishinippon Shimbun.

"I have the right to go back to my motherland anytime I want to. But as a responsible person :D (my return may) create more conflicts among my supporters and the military. It might not be the right timing for me to go back," :o Thaksin was quoted as saying in an interview conducted Monday in Tokyo, a transcript of which was obtained by The Associated Press.

"I will wait :D and give more time for the installed government to bring unity to the country," Thaksin said.

Thaksin's comments came after the Thai government on Saturday said he can return home as long as he promises to stay out of politics, reversing a ban that had been in place since the September coup.

In Bangkok, military-appointed interim Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said conditions of Thaksin's return still need to be discussed.

"We are not stopping him from coming back. If he wants to come back, we can talk about it, but we will have to discuss guidelines for his behavior," Surayud said.

The government has accused Thaksin's supporters of being behind the New Year's bombings, which killed three people and wounded nearly 40 in Bangkok.

In Monday's interview, conducted by Waseda University professor Akiko Kato for the Nishinippon Shimbun, Thaksin called the bombings a criminal act and said the evidence would show who was behind the attack.

"This is a crime to civilization and to Thailand," he said. "Finally the arrests have been made, and (the authorities) should know who is behind them."

He also lashed out at the press censorship. "I am outraged :D at the interference to the mass media," he said.

Thaksin arrived in Tokyo last week on his first visit to Japan since being toppled on Sept. 19 in a bloodless military coup. Japanese officials said they had no plans to meet him out of concerns over relations with the current Thai government.

- Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

He's so full of sh!t :o

The Frog That Wished to Be As Big As the Water Buffalo

The tenant of a bog,

An envious little frog,

Not bigger than an egg,

A stately bullock spies,

And, smitten with his size,

Attempts to be as big.

With earnestness and pains,

He stretches, swells, and strains,

And says, "Sister Frog, look here! see me!

Is this enough?" "No, no."

"Well, then, is this?" "Poh! poh!

Enough! you don't begin to be."

And thus lil' Thaksin sits,

Enlarging till he splits.

The world is full of folks

Of just such wisdom;—

The lordly dome provokes

The cit to build his dome;

And, really, there is no telling

How much great men set little ones a-swelling.

Thaksin says Thais won't tolerate 'dictatorship' forever

Tokyo - Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has warned the country will not tolerate "dictatorship" indefinitely after he was deposed in a military coup.

In an interview published Tuesday on a visit to Japan, Thaksin said Thailand's international credibility was at stake but that he sought unity between his supporters and opponents.

"Thais have enjoyed democracy and never want to be under a dictatorship or a non-democratic government," Thaksin told the Nishinippon Shimbun newspaper. "They can be patient and tolerate such things to some extent, but not for too long."

The populist premier was ousted on September 19 coup by military leaders who accused him of undermining democracy through alleged corruption during his five years in office.

The billionaire businessman, who denies the allegations, said he was waiting for the right time to return.

"I am waiting for the situation to go back to normal, because I want to urge the military government to restore unity to the Thai people," he said.

"I think I can be useful for the country. I can tell my supporters, 'Okay, it's time that we should unite," he said.

Thaksin, who was in New York when tanks rumbled onto Bangkok's streets, spent several weeks in London and has since hopped around Asia.

Military-installed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Monday that Thaksin could return home if he stays out of politics.

But Thaksin said he could rebuild the country's credibility, particularly on the economic front.

"What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed," he said.

"Thailand is still a good place to work and make money. This is what I would tell the investors, foreign governments and the private sector," said Thaksin, one of Thailand's richest people.

- Agence France Presse

Shimbun newspaper. "They can be patient and tolerate such things to some extent, but not for too long."

[bullseye - that is why he has been ousted in the first place.]

The populist premier was ousted on September 19 coup [after many months of massive street protests] by military leaders who accused him of undermining democracy through alleged corruption during his five years in office.

"I think I can be useful for the country. I can tell my supporters, 'Okay, it's time that we should unite," he said. [only his supporters should unite? Unite around what and for what purposes, exactly?]

Edited by Plus

If some people still have some doubts... the last interview of Thaksin to a japanese newspaper is clear...

The guy is burning to come back. Not to enjoy sand and beaches and an easy retirement, but rather to be the "savior" of Thailand.

I think he's turning totally messianic !

That's bad... :o

Additional excerpts from the Japanese newspaper interview with the Cerebral One:

Thaksin, who landed in Tokyo Thursday (Jan 18) night on a private visit, told Japan's Nishinippon Shimbun daily that Thailand had lost the trust of the international community because of the Sept 19 coup d'etat.

As a result, he said, the current military-installed government is not going to be well received internationally.

"The respect of the rule of law and the justice system (by the international community)" is at stake, Thaksin was quoted as saying.

"What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed."

Thaksin himself was accused of flouting the country's constitution during his rule from 2001-2006. Before he was deposed by the coup, thousands of anti-Thaksin demonstrators accused him of dictatorial rule.

Since his arrival, he has met with several Japanese acquaintances in the business and political fields, while claiming the purpose of his Japan visit was "sightseeing," according to the paper today.

He said he had no more political ambitions but wished to return to his homeland as soon as his safety is assured. He expressed his intention to devote himself to charitable and religious work when he returns.

He claimed that during his premiership, he pushed reform, trying to build a democracy that respected the voices of the poor and developed the nation's economy by intensifying competition.

- DPA

Edited by sriracha john

Thaksin, who landed in Tokyo Thursday (Jan 18) night on a private visit, told Japan's Nishinippon Shimbun daily that Thailand had lost the trust of the international community because of the Sept 19 coup d'etat.

As a result, he said, the current military-installed government is not going to be well received internationally."The respect of the rule of law and the justice system (by the international community)" is at stake, Thaksin was quoted as saying.

"What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed."

While most of us agree Thaksin was a crook, I don't think many of us disagree with his words regarding the present un-elected govt.

The current Thai govt is inexperience, they are walking on a tight rope.

As mentioned in my earlier post, stop making Singapore a punching bag, the fact remain that Thaksin visited Japan and have much more publicity in Japan than in Singapore. Mind you, he was interview in their newspaper and gave speech in a top Japan university. Do you think this is all possible without the Japanese knowing???

And should Thailand stop all exchange with Japan. No, Thailand can't do it.

Now...pause and think, what will Singapore and her people think....??? The current government had unstablise a long lasting frienship and in my opinion has lost creditability.

Singapore is a member of Asean bound by treaties and code of conduct, Japan is not. Singapore has promised not to offend Thais over Thaksin, Japand hasn't. Singapore allowed the meeting with Deputy PM, Japan made sure no officials met Thaksin.

Thaksin says Thais won't tolerate 'dictatorship' forever

Tokyo - Thailand's ousted prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has warned the country will not tolerate "dictatorship" indefinitely after he was deposed in a military coup.

In an interview published Tuesday on a visit to Japan, Thaksin said Thailand's international credibility was at stake but that he sought unity between his supporters and opponents.

"Thais have enjoyed democracy and never want to be under a dictatorship or a non-democratic government," Thaksin told the Nishinippon Shimbun newspaper. "They can be patient and tolerate such things to some extent, but not for too long."

The populist premier was ousted on September 19 coup by military leaders who accused him of undermining democracy through alleged corruption during his five years in office.

The billionaire businessman, who denies the allegations, said he was waiting for the right time to return.

"I am waiting for the situation to go back to normal, because I want to urge the military government to restore unity to the Thai people," he said.

"I think I can be useful for the country. I can tell my supporters, 'Okay, it's time that we should unite," he said.

Thaksin, who was in New York when tanks rumbled onto Bangkok's streets, spent several weeks in London and has since hopped around Asia.

Military-installed Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont said Monday that Thaksin could return home if he stays out of politics.

But Thaksin said he could rebuild the country's credibility, particularly on the economic front.

"What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed," he said.

"Thailand is still a good place to work and make money. This is what I would tell the investors, foreign governments and the private sector," said Thaksin, one of Thailand's richest people.

- Agence France Presse

Thaksin sure does make it easy to pick him apart I must give him that. I don’t need to say much but the government Thaksin is disrespecting is the one the King has given his blessings to. You can draw your own conclusion as to how that will fly. Posts here should also keep that in mind, give them a chance to do what the King endorsed. Remember that it’s the Kingdom of Thailand.

Yes no doubt Thaksin is on the campaign trail trying to get support by attempting to buy favors. I only hope the Japanese see it is a dance with the devil.

Thaksin: Thailand's credibility at stake

01/23/2007

BY ATSUSHI YAMADA, THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

post-27080-1169605213_thumb.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra, ousted as Thailand's prime minister in a military coup last September, said Monday it is essential for Thailand to regain international trust by showing it is a proper democracy.

"The respect of the rule of law and the justice system (by international society)" is at stake, he said. "What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed."

Thaksin told The Asahi Shimbun in an interview in Tokyo that he hoped he will not have to live in exile much longer. He said he could play a "useful" role in restoring unity and international trust in Thailand.

Thaksin, who has been living in Beijing and London since September, said the bloodless coup had damaged his country's standing with the international community and that Thais, along with foreign investors, would not tolerate a military regime over the long term.

"I think I can be useful for the country. I can tell my supporters, 'OK, it's time that we should unite.'

"Thailand is still a good place to work and make money. This is what I would tell the investors, foreign governments and the private sector," he said.

post-27080-1169605299_thumb.jpg

The coup occurred while Thaksin was visiting New York. He has not been allowed to return.

Since he arrived in Japan last Friday, Thaksin has been looking up acquaintances in Japanese political and business circles.

While he has refrained from making political statements, Thaksin said he felt compelled to make it clear that he was in no way involved in a terrorist bombing in Bangkok on New Year's Eve.

Thaksin said the September coup was notable in that it resulted in a populist leader being toppled from power.

This, he said, highly damaged the country's credibility in the international community.

post-27080-1169605978_thumb.jpg

"Thais have enjoyed democracy and never want to be under a dictatorship or a non-democratic government," he said. "But they can be patient and tolerate such things to some extent, but not for too long."

If the military junta postpones holding general elections, public and foreign investors will likely shy away from Thailand, he warned.

Thaksin likened the military leaders to bureaucrats, saying they do not have the mind-set to catch up with intensifying global competition.

Thaksin said he would seek assurances that he will be safe if he is allowed to return. He insisted that he has no intention of going back into domestic politics.

He added that he is willing to let younger members of his Thai Rak Thai Party lead the country.(IHT/Asahi: January 23,2007)

http://www.asahi.com/international/update/0123/011.html

(Japanese language)

post-27080-1169604959_thumb.jpg

Thaksin: Thailand's credibility at stake

01/23/2007

BY ATSUSHI YAMADA, THE ASAHI SHIMBUN

post-27080-1169605213_thumb.jpg

Thaksin Shinawatra, ousted as Thailand's prime minister in a military coup last September, said Monday it is essential for Thailand to regain international trust by showing it is a proper democracy.

"The respect of the rule of law and the justice system (by international society)" is at stake, he said. "What international society worries about is that if the government under a coup d'etat abolishes the Constitution, the rule of law will not be observed."

Thaksin told The Asahi Shimbun in an interview in Tokyo that he hoped he will not have to live in exile much longer. He said he could play a "useful" role in restoring unity and international trust in Thailand.

Thaksin, who has been living in Beijing and London since September, said the bloodless coup had damaged his country's standing with the international community and that Thais, along with foreign investors, would not tolerate a military regime over the long term.

"I think I can be useful for the country. I can tell my supporters, 'OK, it's time that we should unite.'

"Thailand is still a good place to work and make money. This is what I would tell the investors, foreign governments and the private sector," he said.

post-27080-1169605299_thumb.jpg

The coup occurred while Thaksin was visiting New York. He has not been allowed to return.

Since he arrived in Japan last Friday, Thaksin has been looking up acquaintances in Japanese political and business circles.

While he has refrained from making political statements, Thaksin said he felt compelled to make it clear that he was in no way involved in a terrorist bombing in Bangkok on New Year's Eve.

Thaksin said the September coup was notable in that it resulted in a populist leader being toppled from power.

This, he said, highly damaged the country's credibility in the international community.

post-27080-1169605978_thumb.jpg

"Thais have enjoyed democracy and never want to be under a dictatorship or a non-democratic government," he said. "But they can be patient and tolerate such things to some extent, but not for too long."

If the military junta postpones holding general elections, public and foreign investors will likely shy away from Thailand, he warned.

Thaksin likened the military leaders to bureaucrats, saying they do not have the mind-set to catch up with intensifying global competition.

Thaksin said he would seek assurances that he will be safe if he is allowed to return. He insisted that he has no intention of going back into domestic politics.

He added that he is willing to let younger members of his Thai Rak Thai Party lead the country.(IHT/Asahi: January 23,2007)

http://www.asahi.com/international/update/0123/011.html

(Japanese language)

post-27080-1169604959_thumb.jpg

I couldnt agree more and when will the charges over extra-judicial killings be made?

Seriously, it does seem that the governor of Mississsippi's ex-lobbyist firm have given Mr. T some good advice on how and where to address the "international community".

On another point it always seems in these speeches that he is holdng out some negotiating position too. In tis one he offers "unity". In return for what?