Video: When your number is up - it's up. Motorcyclist killed by loose truck wheel.

rooster59

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

I said maybe she could of reacted and the outcome might have been different.

Maybe if I was in the same situation I might have been killed too, maybe not ? I can say that when I'm on my bike I pay attention to my surroundings, not just the 20yrs directly in front of me...

You're entitled to your opinion, as am I... 

If the Thai lady had had '20 years, (yrs)' to react - she too could have avoided this very tragic accident that killed her. That wheel was travelling at great speed. How could she have avoided it? Are you 'Superman'? Or are you just plain stupid?

The owner of the vehicle probably hasn't maintained his truck in 20 years either................

6 hours ago, smedly said:

here we go again another superman

Trust me mate - if you had been on that motorbike you would most certainly now be dead

dare to question it, here's your reality-movie man

as I already had several similar near-death encounters and I am still alive

I accept that this is not on everybody's experience list so I understand your objection

Edited by crazygreg44

17 minutes ago, lvr181 said:

To the RTP: - confiscate the truck, jail the owner until he gives up the driver.

Come on, TIT (this is Thailand)!

2000 Baht fine is the worst the driver has to expect. The owner of the truck will not even have to appear in court.

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

Although it it has nothing to do with this accident your sentence in italics referring to “ day dreaming” has I think provided the answer to something that has puzzled me for a long time

That is, why many Thais on motorcycles and bicycles turn out of side roads without looking.

I had put it down to many other reasons mostly derogatory but maybe you have provided the answer.

Actually there are several more answers to this phenomena.  One is that they rely on other traffic participants to watch out for themselves, so they can't be dared to check.  The other is,  in many cases there is a one meter stretch of a motorcycle lane from the curb to the first white line, and they rely on this lane being solely reserved for them. Then another answer is, they rely on their amulet and "fate doesn't have it for me today". Quite another is, if a car hits them, then it isn't their fault because the unwritten Thai law that the bigger cars have to watch out for motorcycles.

Daydreaming or being inattentive because busy with ice cream in one hand and a smartphone in the other . . well, the list goes on

Edited by crazygreg44

After moving back to Australia after 20 years in Thailand something I've noticed is the plastic wheel nut lock devices on commercial vehicles (pickups) and trucks. Not sure if this is government requirement or pushed from companies such as mining or civil works. So many new rules since I've been gone. Anyway it would be a good and cheap and visible way of ensuring wheel nuts do not come loose.

Google search "plastic wheel nut locks". Australia. 

RIP and condolences to family. 

Let's look for solutions rather than blame. Just because we live here we don't need to copy everything from their culture. Look for simple and achievable ways to improve it.

Sorry I didn't read the whole story. Get bored easily with TV basher comments. Has there been proven negligence from the driver. If not I would not persecute him so quick. He probably did not tighten the wheel nuts same as you majority didn't on your car. Also strange that six wheel nuts came loose that rotate to tighten in the same direction as wheel rotation making it harder for them to come loose. (Left hand wheel nuts on trucks are left hand thread for same reason). A truck is different from your car. You will not feel a loose outer wheel (dual wheels) or shredding tyre unless on your steering wheels. These trucks stop frequently at weigh stations and are documented. I wonder if the drivers get out when at these stations. They are a good record of where he came from and how far he travelled. Could indicate how often he stopped where at which point he should have done a visual of tyres and wheel nuts. This could then possibly be an indicator pointing to negligence. You need facts before hanging someone. 

Solution in the picture

s-l400.jpg

7 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely spot on correct in your observation. The dissenters here, know nothing about anything having to do with driving, and the avoidance of those kinds of obstacles. When was the last time THEY tried to dodge a 50 kilogram wheel going 40 kph? She had one second to react. And that is if she happened to be looking directly at that truck, at exactly that instant! That much is obvious. 

Look, I believe in something that resembles the grim reaper. When your number is up, that is all they wrote. 

A "truck wheel" meaning, without the tire on it, is approximately 150 Lbs. A "wheel" meaning, with the tire on it, add 350Lbs to equal 500 Lbs. A "wheel" meaning, dual, a set of two side-by-side, equals 1,000 Lbs. A "wheel" meaning, the fifth-wheel, is approximately 1,200 Lbs.

https://www.answerbag.com/q_view/36422

I do not know why my original post, to which Spidermikes is responding here disappears? Not that it is a problem for me, only knowing how a post dissolves itself is pure curiosity.

7 hours ago, crazygreg44 said:

dare to question it, here's your reality-movie man

as I already had several similar near-death encounters and I am still alive

I accept that this is not on everybody's experience list so I understand your objection

be safe out there mate, your post was confusing - it started out one way and ended the complete opposite

I have also been riding motorbikes for years and currently have one these last few years in Thailand

This girl had absolutely no chance, doesn't matter how many bikes you have had or how long you have been riding - there was no escape from this.

It is very tragic and is exactly why we have vehicle inspections in the west

How many vehicles currently on the roads in Thailand would pass vehicle inspection tests in the UK, my guess would be that 70% of all heavy goods vehicles and busses would be condemned to the scrapper

• Like 2

Wheather you are walking on a sidewalk, riding a bike, or driving a car, you should always try to remain vigilant to what is happening around you.  You may not avoid an accident such as this one but you can sure as heck give it your best shot to try.  My condolences to her family and to her, may she rest in peace.  

Better routine and spot inspections on commercial vehicles could help reduce accidents.  

2 hours ago, waders123 said:

Wheather you are walking on a sidewalk, riding a bike, or driving a car, you should always try to remain vigilant to what is happening around you.  You may not avoid an accident such as this one but you can sure as heck give it your best shot to try.  My condolences to her family and to her, may she rest in peace.  

Better routine and spot inspections on commercial vehicles could help reduce accidents.  

That is a suggestion that is never going to be taken seriously. Don't you ever read the Minister's campaign promises of reducing road deaths?  HA !! Not bloody likely.  I will just call you naïve if you think transportation officials or the BIB give a crap about how many people die here in any kind of road accident.

You report writers are sickening.

Original articles, especially in the Thai press, often have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ThaiVisa is not responsible for these nor does ThaiVisa have the rights to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ThaiVisa is not responsible for any opinions reflected  or quoted in reprinted news stories.

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

Is such a cringeworthy title really appropriate?

Original articles, especially in the Thai press, often have grammatical mistakes or misspellings. ThaiVisa is not responsible for these nor does ThaiVisa have the rights to alter content it is reprinting from another source. Similarly, ThaiVisa is not responsible for any opinions reflected  or quoted in reprinted news stories.

A post commenting on moderation has been removed.

Edited by metisdead

20 hours ago, smedly said:

correct, she had no chance

but of course the superman hero posting on this forum could have avoided it, pity there is no way the actually test that out

We could put the poster on a motorcycle and do a re-enactment

see how he does !!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thais believe in Karma.

Karma: the spiritual principle of cause and effect where intent and actions of an individual (cause) influence the future of that individual.

Don't wear a helmet, get smashed in the face by a runaway truck wheel.

While a helmet would probably not have saved her, karma may have stopped the accident happening in the first place.

Wear your helmets and avoid accidents.

RIP.

12 hours ago, doublezero said:

Come on, TIT (this is Thailand)!

2000 Baht fine is the worst the driver has to expect. The owner of the truck will not even have to appear in court.

Yup, I know but it is not a tough 'problem' to solve though. If only someone in the RTP could you use some commonsense to get a desirable result (responsibility and accountability). I am thinkiong that both the driver and truck owner should, at the very least, pay money to the rider's family for the death caused and then whatever else happens for driving an unsafe vehicle.

One more data point.  If she had been driving a car, she'd have probably lived to tell her loved ones the harrowing tale of a broken windshield.

It's tragic that economic realities put so many Thai's on scooters instead of inside cars that are 20-40x less dangerous, and a lot more comfortable.

Edited by impulse

3 hours ago, impulse said:

One more data point.  If she had been driving a car, she'd have probably lived to tell her loved ones the harrowing tale of a broken windshield.

It's tragic that economic realities put so many Thai's on scooters instead of inside cars that are 20-40x less dangerous, and a lot more comfortable.

I ride a bike a lot and it isn't really economic realities,  more practicalities.

Tragic when the economic situation forces a whole family on a bike and something bad happens.

A truly tragic example of the general careless attitude towards consequence here in Thailand. 

Weekly reports of brake failure leading to deaths and accidents such as this 'errant' wheel are not uncommon with a handful reported yearly; I wonder how many go unreported. 

Issues such as this are simple to prevent - Maintenance, of course, without the adequate and enforced consequences vehicle and fleet owners have no interest in preventative maintenance and only choose to apply a fix when something breaks or goes wrong. 

As always this comes down to pure and simple apathy. Apathy of those in positions who could do something to improve the application and enforcement of safety measures. 

Further heartbreaking and avoidable tragedy - it really is depressing to see such avoidable events impact the innocent. 

On 12/9/2017 at 11:50 AM, smedly said:

and of course you could have avoided the wheel - I would get a posting holiday if I really said what I want to say to you - shame on you

There was no possible way for this young lady to avoid this horrific incident, the fault is clearly with whoever is responsible for the maintenance of the truck

As usual Thais blaming everything but the actual cause

corn-man is in a bubble all by himself on this one , for shame on him 

3 hours ago, chickenrunCM said:

may be a helmet would help

a hundred and fifty pounds of metal and core rubber  hitting you at combined speed of 60 mph ....well ....chicken you should get out more ,  ......