Monks Alms Rounds in Thailand

Inspire

Monks Alms Rounds in Thailand

This blog has been provided by Asia Backpackers BLOG for Inspire.

blog6.jpg

Merit Making

‘Merit’ is not charity as perceived by western people and it is offensive to many Buddhist followers, to hear others imply that when monks leave their temples to gather alms, (known as “BIN THA BAT” – บิณฑบาตร), that this is in some way begging. Buddhist people believe the giving of alms is a way of connecting the giver to the monk or nun and to show humbleness and respect to what they represent.

BLOG1-300x140.jpg

Bin Tha Bat – Monks Alms Rounds

Alms giving is a daily ritual in the Kingdom; Monks will leave their Wat (temple), each morning at around 5 -6 am, having risen at 4 am, meditated for one hour, followed by one hour of chanting. (Except during the 3 months’ Buddhist lent, when they are prohibited from leaving their temples)

During their alms rounds, they will carry their alms bowl (บาตร – Pali patta; Sanksrit patra) with both hands held close to the stomach, the bowl is seen as the monk’s emblem and according to Buddhist rules, it is the only dish that monks can possess. The bowl is usually stored and carried in a cloth or crocheted bag, both for protection and ease of carrying.

blog13-300x199.jpg

Traditionally the monks walk bare footed in a straight line one by one. (But can be seen in boats in the many Khlong’s within the Kingdom). The oldest or the temple abbot leads the monks, while the others follow by seniority.

Full story: http://www.inspirepattaya.com/lifestyle/monks-alms-rounds-thailand/

inspire_pattaya_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Inspire Pattaya 2017-12-10

It's begging for people to lazy, or too unskilled, to work.  When I see monks paying cash for expensive Pentax cameras, iPhone and iPads, and other high end items, which I have seen many times, using the money donated for the temple, all I can do is laugh at the stupidity of the people who believe in this Thai hogwash. There are no true Buddhist in Thailand.

No different to any other religion. Look at the Church of England, assets valued in the Billions yet still take money from pensioners every Sunday. 

The Greek Orthodox Church has assets worth over 700 Billion Euros......Twice the Greek National debt.....

Alms rounds is not begging.  Monks are suppose to be recluses who primary purpose in life is to work on establishing a foundation of spirituality though morality and meditation with the ultimate goal of reaching what Westerns would understand as 'Nirvana.' 
Buddhist monks vows prohibit them from making their own food, and instead to rely on the generosity of the laity to provide them with food so they can concentrate on their practice.
Needless to say Buddhism has morphed into something a bit different than what was established in Buddha's time, although a few monks, primarily forest monks, follow their vows seriously. 
Anyway this dance between monks and laity has been going on for 2500 years.  Its not 'begging' on the part of the monks, it's established Buddhist practice and its purpose to to free monks from mundane tasks of the laymen's world. 

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

It's begging for people to lazy, or too unskilled, to work.  When I see monks paying cash for expensive Pentax cameras, iPhone and iPads, and other high end items, which I have seen many times, using the money donated for the temple, all I can do is laugh at the stupidity of the people who believe in this Thai hogwash. There are no true Buddhist in Thailand.

I personally cringe every time I see monks in department stores. 

In Thailand, imho, a large percentage of the Sangha (monkhood) have lost their way.  Which is sad.
A small proportion of the Sangha, primarily forest monks, still hold to their 227 vows, and you will never see these monks out on shopping sprees.  They practice The Dharma. They are Dharma.
One other point.  There are a large number of 'novice monks' in Thailand.  It's a given that virtually all Thai males will become monks for a short period of time during their lives.  Novice monks are only required to abided by 8 percepts, so they are relatively free to handle money and shop if they want. Young monks, those who are children, teenagers, or young adults mostly are temporary, novice monks and have no plans to remain monks. However,  once a monk has chosen to become a senior monk who is bound by 227 percepts, well, these monk have no business doing anything outside of practicing.  But, unfortunately that is not the case for the majority of senior monks here in Thailand. Soliciting money seems to be part and parcel with the form of Buddhism practiced by most Thai monks.  Which is why I say they are 'lost.' 

As a Theravadan Buddhist whose teachers were all forest monks, I look at the monkhood, the Thai Sangha in Thailand, especially those in cities, and simply shake my head. 

The other offshoot of this practice is that the temple has plenty of food and they will feed anyone who comes... thus, there is no hunger as there is reported in many Western countries. This presents a great safety net and security for the general populace. And with all the homelessness and sifting through garbage pails in some major cities of the West - that is something. 

In the countryside and small cities, I see no beggars here - only in tourist areas. They must be doing something right. I know my family gives often and feels good when they do. 

3 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

A long time ago I quit supporting the temples in any fashion...besides all the reported sex and drug crimes, it's pretty common to see monks sitting in first/business class on international flights, scrolling though their iphones...I'm sure there are sincere and genuine practitioners of buddhism, but I think they are the exception now, and not the rule...

4 minutes ago, 473geo said:

Certainly Ken, "Feels good to give" without fanfare and publicity, just everyday people doing everyday what feels good.

Yes - I think that is part of the purpose - my family gets to begin their day doing a good deed and they get a blessing as well... no harm in all that. 

12 minutes ago, hdkane said:

A long time ago I quit supporting the temples in any fashion...besides all the reported sex and drug crimes, it's pretty common to see monks sitting in first/business class on international flights, scrolling though their iphones...I'm sure there are sincere and genuine practitioners of buddhism, but I think they are the exception now, and not the rule...

I think the majority of monks are sincere, especially amongst the lifelong practitioners... I would doubt that the majority are sitting in first class on airplanes - even if 1% were that would be enormous... I live out in the countryside, plenty of forest temples and other and I can rarely remember seeing any abusive behaviour. Of course, it exists as in any religion or occupation but I think not nearly to the % you mention. 

Save for the alms, there is nothing "buddhist", as in "following the Buddha's teachings" in the religion practiced in Thailand and, more generally, in countries following the Theravada doctrine (I think Mahayana, Zen, is closer to the real thing).

Beside the vows, precepts and other rules, Buddhism is first and foremost about meditating, with the goal of reaching enlightment, and NOT of winning the lottery!

I have yet to see a monk meditating, even though those living in forest temples probably do so, but we can't see them...as for the general population it has never heard about meditation!

What the people expect from their prayers is the exact opposite of what the Buddha taught!

Siddharta Gautama was a rich man who became poor in order to find and get rid of the root of suffering, which is attachment, craving.

Now, poor people expect the Buddha, via his monks, to provide them with everything he fought against!

And they think that corrupting the monks will help!

4 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

No different to any other religion. Look at the Church of England, assets valued in the Billions yet still take money from pensioners every Sunday. 

The Greek Orthodox Church has assets worth over 700 Billion Euros......Twice the Greek National debt.....

Not to mention the catholics or the mormons.

6 hours ago, Just1Voice said:

I see it as similar to martial arts. You show respect the belt of the martial artist even if you have no regard for the person.

5 hours ago, missoura said:

alms.jpg

Some Thais see that giving alms (food, soap, etc) is for two purposes:

- Primary purpose - feed the monks

- Secondary purpose - to provide food for the local poor or travelers.  

Edited by scorecard

6 hours ago, AhFarangJa said:

Lets also not forget our friends in USA who contribute millions of dollars to "Peter the Pastor" (Names changed to protect the innocent) to buy him a new Limo /House/ Jet (delete as appropriate). In this case however they are not lazy and uneducated. They are Smart. Very very smart. 

:intheclub:

6 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

I see it as similar to martial arts. You show respect the belt of the martial artist even if you have no regard for the person.

Really? Any genuine proficient   martial  artist  would  expect some  question as  to  Sempai or other verification  if  not  by  challenge  at  some  point.

For   Monks it  has  been  instituted  in the  population  to  respect  the  robes,  not  the  person.  

Sadly  that  means  that  any  male  who   chooses  to  escape into  the  role  of   being  a  Monk  simply  needs  to  acquire  the  robes.

Any  theology is  irrelevant. So  those   that  pretend  the  role  are  never  challenged  so long as  they  do  not  indulge  in   any  activities  that  attract negative  attention.

Government  attempts  to  ensure  validity by  way  of   Monk  ID  cards  is  some what  pointless  given  the  annual  seasonal  influx  of   the  eldest  son   being  inducted  into  the  Monkhood  at   extraordinary   cost   for   a  duration  often limited   to  days does  nothing  to  reduce  the  farce.

The  general  population  who   are  satisfied  by  the  image  to which  they  pay   homage for  self   merit  actually   only  feed  the  ideal of  the   farce. 

But  what  difference  is  there from  the  Lay Preacher   who  is   successful  enough  to  attract  customers  to a regular  television media  event where  if  the  punter  sends   cash   will  receive  prayers   for  salvation?

In our local temple we have one Abbott another senior  monk and a few novices,

only the  novices go out seeking alms

The locals come in and cook food for the Abbott and the senior monk and when they want to leave the temple they are driven by one of the locals in their individual, relatively new Toyota pickups.

An interesting life they seem to live.

11 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Really? Any genuine proficient   martial  artist  would  expect some  question as  to  Sempai or other verification  if  not  by  challenge  at  some  point.

For   Monks it  has  been  instituted  in the  population  to  respect  the  robes,  not  the  person.  

Sadly  that  means  that  any  male  who   chooses  to  escape into  the  role  of   being  a  Monk  simply  needs  to  acquire  the  robes.

Any  theology is  irrelevant. So  those   that  pretend  the  role  are  never  challenged  so long as  they  do  not  indulge  in   any  activities  that  attract negative  attention.

Government  attempts  to  ensure  validity by  way  of   Monk  ID  cards  is  some what  pointless  given  the  annual  seasonal  influx  of   the  eldest  son   being  inducted  into  the  Monkhood  at   extraordinary   cost   for   a  duration  often limited   to  days does  nothing  to  reduce  the  farce.

The  general  population  who   are  satisfied  by  the  image  to which  they  pay   homage for  self   merit  actually   only  feed  the  ideal of  the   farce. 

But  what  difference  is  there from  the  Lay Preacher   who  is   successful  enough  to  attract  customers  to a regular  television media  event where  if  the  punter  sends   cash   will  receive  prayers   for  salvation?

You are missing the point the now is to resoect the belt in martial arts not the person