DLT announces policy to control double-decker buses

webfact

DLT announces policy to control double-decker buses

PNSOC601210001005401.jpg

BANGKOK, 11 December 2017 (NNT) – The Department of Land Transport (DLT) has launched a policy to regulate double-decker buses to ensure safety of the passengers. 

DLT Director General Sanit Phromwong said under the new ministerial regulations, the height of the double-decker buses registered with the DLT from March 19, 2017 is set at no more than four meters. 

The double-decker buses registered before March 19, 2017, can still operate as usual unless they are modified. 

The regular buses and double-decker buses to make a new registration with the DLT must meet the set mechanical engineering safety standards for safety of the passengers.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-12-11

Unfortunately, this will probably be no different to the 'no passengers travelling in the back of pick ups' policy, also launched to ensure the safety of passengers.

When you launch these policies, they should be enforced rigidly, with severe penalties for offenders.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The double-decker buses registered before March 19, 2017, can still operate as usual unless they are modified. 

In thailand a bus stays in service for about 30-50 years, so i guess we have to wait some time to see actual improvements in road deaths due to this new measure (assuming it is being enforced).

The fact that double-decker buses are used in other countries without serious incident is, to coin a phrase, ‘an inconvenient truth’.

I saw one report here when a double-decker bus went round a bent too fast and ended up on its side. It was claimed they were dangerous – nothing to do with irresponsible driving of course.

As a kid I used to collect bus numbers (yes, I know!) and I do remember that double-decker buses are subject to a ‘tilt test’ they have to pass before being allowed on the road. IIRC, I think it was around 28 degrees.

I remember watching film shot at a test track where the driver deliberately threw the bus into a skid to try and tip it over. Never succeeded. Obviously they should have employed a Thai bus driver to do the test.

I thought "modified" buses were banned in 2013? Oh well :saai: On anither note: 4m is very short for a double decker bus. I'm not tall, but by the time I step onto a bus my head is 2m above the ground. I appreciate some headroom before I walk up the stairs. Seems like someone pulled s measurement out their ass.

8 minutes ago, SABloke said:

I thought "modified" buses were banned in 2013? Oh well :saai: On anither note: 4m is very short for a double decker bus. I'm not tall, but by the time I step onto a bus my head is 2m above the ground. I appreciate some headroom before I walk up the stairs. Seems like someone pulled s measurement out their ass.

Just to use some London buses as an example.

From what I can see, depending on the model the height varies around 13’9” to 14’9” (about 4.2m – 4.5m). So yes, it looks like 4m is an “out of the hat” figure.

There again, remember where we are – forward planning and researching data not always seen as important.

2 hours ago, Dave67 said:

In all seriousness how are they going to measure 4 metres. A police pick up or motorbike with a 4 metre ruler hanging off the back. They come out with some shit but this is a classic

All bridges are being reduced in height to a clearance of 4.05 meters.

This way they only have to measure the bridge once instead of the vehicles many times.

1 hour ago, SABloke said:

maybe they will only allow very short people to board.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Just to use some London buses as an example.

From what I can see, depending on the model the height varies around 13’9” to 14’9” (about 4.2m – 4.5m). So yes, it looks like 4m is an “out of the hat” figure.

There again, remember where we are – forward planning and researching data not always seen as important.

a number of seemingly credible sources have noted that these tall buses shouldnt be on high speed highways at all;

their usage should be limited to the hong kong island style; low speed intra-city

12 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Unfortunately, this will probably be no different to the 'no passengers travelling in the back of pick ups' policy, also launched to ensure the safety of passengers.

When you launch these policies, they should be enforced rigidly, with severe penalties for offenders.

Long time ago all double decker were supposed to be banned...

Ridiculous people in a ridiculous country ! So happy not to be born here and be able to live whenever I wont stand all this BS anymore !

Edited by bleble