New point system aims to weed out bad drivers

webfact

For demerit points to work the ticket has to be issued not just "tea money" collected.

In any case if there really are going to be demerit points issued the police will now

ask for full value tea money or drivers will potentially have there licence suspended.

Better to take care of things both quickly and with no record. :whistling:

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A points system may work in a few city places where there may be police on patrol .  Where I live , almost the only time we ever see highway police is at a road block to check licences and road tax paid .  There are many vehicles and motorcycles that are unroadworthy , have defective lights , incorrect lights or no lights at all .  There seem to be no police patrols at all and certainly after dark ; you cannot have a points system when there are no police on the road to activate it .

Australias got this. Works! It works because its a civilized country. Thailand where corruption is endemic and the police and government officials are the major criminals at best police will ask for an off the book fee with no points removed. Thais will think the police are great for not caring about peoples lives and the laws themselves. 

NEXT! 

What are they going to catch them all at the checkpoints, just this morning with police manning at the traffic lights didnt see one non helmet wearer pulled over or license check of the obvious too young to hold a license.

After this little exercise of a morning they all go back to the office or home, so unless it is a check point there wont be any tickets handed out.

This is nothing new. It's already been done ..... TWICE!

The first points system was started in 2002.  In that system you gained points for traffic offences and an automatic ban at 60 points.  It was changed in 2007 to a decreasing system.  An initial 100 points which decreased with each traffic offence.  When at zero, an automatic ban for 90 days.  Technically, that system still exists.

Back in 2002, I got a ticket in BKK.  When I went to the police station to collect my licence, the police were discussing where on the licence to record my penalty points. (not a Thai licence)

It obviously didn't work then so why should it work now?

Good luck with that. 

I have seen many Thais trying to obtain their drivers licence at the Motor Vehicle office. They drive up in the car, often fail the driving test, and then drive away. Apparently having a license is not a real big deal here! So who needs points?

8 minutes ago, HHTel said:

This is nothing new. It's already been done ..... TWICE!

The first points system was started in 2002.  In that system you gained points for traffic offences and an automatic ban at 60 points.  It was changed in 2007 to a decreasing system.  An initial 100 points which decreased with each traffic offence.  When at zero, an automatic ban for 90 days.  Technically, that system still exists.

Back in 2002, I got a ticket in BKK.  When I went to the police station to collect my licence, the police were discussing where on the licence to record my penalty points. (not a Thai licence)

It obviously didn't work then so why should it work now?

Maybe of incomplete implementation of the rules in 2002, the government should add, for Non-Thai, fee's similar to Swiss or 10 times the Fee as you pay as Thai, If you cant pay, they take your vehicle until you pay, alternatively for expats, if they catch you without Thai licence, deport out of the Kingdom, you loosing the permission to stay at once.         

This works in other countries  like Australia were the Police  are on  the roads 24/7,, they have computers in the car so they can check everything about the Car/owner/driver. they will stop and book you or take you to jail if you have anything outstanding ,like fines,not paid rego no licence /no points left. they have radar guns in and outside their police car + radar gun detector,They book you for Anything starting with Idiots driving(they will go first) , going the wrong way in a one way street/road , double parking , crossing , double lines , not indicating , brake and or headlight/s not working , using spotlights or high beam in a build up area +++++ many more ,,,,,Now that's what Thailand needs,,,,,

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

This works in other countries  like Australia were the Police  are on  the roads 24/7,, they have computers in the car so they can check everything about the Car/owner/driver. they will stop and book you or take you to jail if you have anything outstanding ,like fines,not paid rego no licence /no points left. they have radar guns in and outside their police car + radar gun detector,They book you for Anything starting with Idiots driving(they will go first) , going the wrong way in a one way street/road , double parking , crossing , double lines , not indicating , brake and or headlight/s not working , using spotlights or high beam in a build up area +++++ many more ,,,,,Now that's what Thailand needs,,,,,

..imagine what it would be like here with Zero Tolerance..oh my Buddha...empty streets.

5 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Ignoring the fact that over 90% of offences committed in front of the police are ignored by the police.

70%, say, of offences are settled with an unreceipted fine.

Each police station area is a mini-fiefdom so they will only report 10% of the receipted fines to the points database.

The staff at the points database will have I.T. problems or administrative problems meaning the system is down 85% of the time.

Upon hitting 12 points, the points database, presumably held by the police, would need to inform the Land Transport Dept to rescind the offender's licence. Such inter-deparmental communication only works around 8% of the time if you are lucky.

This proposal will never be implemented in Thailand in any working form in my lifetime which could be another 50 years.

"90% of...

70%, say...

10% of

85% of... 

8% of..."

100% chance that all those percentages you quoted are nonsense.