O-A End of Second Year, What Now?

Situation.....  received O-A from Royal Thai Embassy in Canada.  Stay one year in Thailand doing all the 90 reports.  Extended for another year shortly before O-A expired. Did all the 90 day reports again... 

Now end of second year approaching... what do I do now?   What requirements ?   Does the O-A permanently run out at this point.  Do I have a big problem? 

I don't have the 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank, but have a verified steady monthly income of more than 65,000 Baht.  Or do I now need 800,000 Baht in a Thai bank ?  

Forgive me for being confused at this point...     

Thanks everyone. 

Edited by Catoni

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the last 30 days of your current permit to stay.

You can use your income of 65k baht or more to apply for the extension. You will need to do a statutory declaration at the Canadian embassy to prove your income.

20 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for a one year extension of stay based upon retirement at immigration during the last 30 days of your current permit to stay.

You can use your income of 65k baht or more to apply for the extension. You will need to do a statutory declaration at the Canadian embassy to prove your income.

Thank you Ubonjoe.   I appreciate your answer.  But if anyone else has any further info.... it will also be much appreciated.. 

The above is the correct information - cost 1,900 baht for TM7 and if you plan travel you may want to obtain re-entry permit at the same time.  You need the letter from Embassy and should carry some proof of retirement income in case asked.  You will need copies of everything if not main provincial office and copies of passport/visa/entries and passport photo(s) on TM7.  Normally same day service.

27 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The above is the correct information - cost 1,900 baht for TM7 and if you plan travel you may want to obtain re-entry permit at the same time.  You need the letter from Embassy and should carry some proof of retirement income in case asked.  You will need copies of everything if not main provincial office and copies of passport/visa/entries and passport photo(s) on TM7.  Normally same day service.

Thank you lopburi3.     I was worried that O-A was only good for a maximum of one year, and then one year extension after getting re-entry permit and leaving and returning near the end of the first year. So two years max. 

Clearing that up helps me relax a bit.   So as long as I prove more than 65,000 Baht per month... I should still be good with a TM7.       Thank you 

15 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Thank you lopburi3.     I was worried that O-A was only good for a maximum of one year, and then one year extension after getting re-entry permit and leaving and returning near the end of the first year. So two years max. 

Clearing that up helps me relax a bit.   So as long as I prove more than 65,000 Baht per month... I should still be good with a TM7.       Thank you 

Yes. You will be ok.

1 hour ago, Catoni said:

You should contact your Embassy to enquire on the procedure for obtaining a 'Proof of Income' letter for Immigration.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng

Within the last 30 days of your current permission to stay, you can apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement.

1. Completed Form TM7.(Must be printed on both sides of 1 sheet).

2. Passport + Copies of;

- Homepage

- Last Visa. OR  Last Extension permit

- Last entry stamp

3. Proof of Address.

Condo owners;

- Blue Tabien Baan. (foreigners name will not appear in the book) + Copy.

- Title Deeds (Chanute) + Copy

- Yellow Tabien Baan (if you possess one) + Copy.

Rented;

- Copy of House owners Tabien Baan and ID card.

- Rental agreement + Copy

- Yellow Tabien Baan (if you possess one) + Copy

Private None Rented;

- Yellow Tabien + Copy(if you possess one).

4. Map pinpointing and detailing address location.

5. TM6 Departure card + Copy.

6. Passport photo 4.5 x 3.5 cm.

7.Proof of Funds;

If using the funds in the bank method an updated passbook and letter from the bank dated the same

day as the application. Funds in the passbook and letter must match.

If using the income method, a letter from your Embassy confirming income, OR,

you can use a combination of the two methods providing it adds up to 800,000 baht per annum.

TM 7 Extension of Stay.pdf 

If you intend leaving the Country within the period of permission to stay, you can apply for a 're-entry' permit at the same time. Single entry 1,000 baht or multi entry 3,800 baht.

TM 8 Re entry permit.pdf

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

You should contact your Embassy to enquire on the procedure for obtaining a 'Proof of Income' letter for Immigration.

http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/thailand-thailande/contact-contactez.aspx?lang=eng

Within the last 30 days of your current permission to stay, you can apply for an annual extension of stay based on retirement.

1. Completed Form TM7.(Must be printed on both sides of 1 sheet).

2. Passport + Copies of;

- Homepage

- Last Visa. OR  Last Extension permit

- Last entry stamp

3. Proof of Address.

Condo owners;

- Blue Tabien Baan. (foreigners name will not appear in the book) + Copy.

- Title Deeds (Chanute) + Copy

- Yellow Tabien Baan (if you possess one) + Copy.

Rented;

- Rental agreement + Copy

- Yellow Tabien Baan (if you possess one) + Copy

Private None Rented;

- Yellow Tabien + Copy(if you possess one).

4. Map pinpointing and detailing address location.

5. TM6 Departure card + Copy.

6. Passport photo 4.5 x 3.5 cm.

7.Proof of Funds;

If using the funds in the bank method an updated passbook and letter from the bank dated the same

day as the application. Funds in the passbook and letter must match.

If using the income method, a letter from your Embassy confirming income, OR,

you can use a combination of the two methods providing it adds up to 800,000 baht per annum.

TM 7 Extension of Stay.pdf 

If you intend leaving the Country within the period of permission to stay, you can apply for a 're-entry' permit at the same time. Single entry 1,000 baht or multi entry 3,800 baht.

TM 8 Re entry permit.pdf

Well you learn something new everyday. 

Why do you need anything other than the contract of where you are staying. Never read before you need copy of owners details etc. 

Also a map pin pointing to the location of the place you are staying !!!

I read the requirements on the embassy website and you have added double to amount of things they tell you you need. 

Where on earth did you get all that from ?

9 hours ago, berybert said:

Why do you need anything other than the contract of where you are staying. Never read before you need copy of owners details

A lot of Immigration offices want the owner/landlords details for your local personal file.

I've always filed my own TM30's, as the 'tenant', but submitted copies of my landlords TB and ID card.

They weren't interested in my rental contract.

13 hours ago, Catoni said:

... I was worried that O-A was only good for a maximum of one year, and then one year extension after getting re-entry permit and leaving and returning near the end of the first year. So two years max. 

Just to clarify:

Your Visa expired at the end of the first year when the "enter before" date passed.

The "permission of stay" of one-year you received from leaving and returning at the end of the first year is now about to expire.

You can now apply for a one-year "extension of stay" of your existing "permission of stay" at your local immigration office.  You can do this every year going forward.  You can apply 30 days in advance of your current permission-of-stay ending.

Tanosi provided a list of required documents which is usually needed by local imm-offices to apply for your one-year "extension of stay".  Each office makes up it's own rules, but that list probably has everything you will need.  If you tell us which office you plan to use, someone familiar with that office may be able to provide specifics on what they require.

After you receive your new "extension of stay", if you want to travel outside Thailand, you will need to apply for a re-entry permit - which serves the same function as it did for the 2nd year "permitted stay" you received from your Non-OA Visa.

Another option - you could also choose to return to your passport country and apply for a new Non-OA, and re-run that process, again. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The TM7 form requires a 4 X 6 cm photo, The 3.5 X 4.5 photo is to small. People have been turned away for using them.

They've never refused my 3.5 x 4.5 Passport photos. (Of which I had 12).

However I did have 4 x 6 printed recently as that is what it states on TM7.

I'll correct my list. Thanks for the heads up Joe on my oversight.

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He has not done an extension yet. He called the last entry from his OA visa an extension which was incorrect.

My error.....  sorry..      Thank you for the information everyone.  There's always more for me to learn, and at my age, learning takes a little longer.  I look forward to more posts here if anyone has further information or comment. 

Thanks everyone.  

12 hours ago, berybert said:

Well you learn something new everyday. 

Why do you need anything other than the contract of where you are staying. Never read before you need copy of owners details etc. 

Also a map pin pointing to the location of the place you are staying !!!

I read the requirements on the embassy website and you have added double to amount of things they tell you you need. 

Where on earth did you get all that from ?

Depends on the individual immigration office, which is why it is a good idea to go to office before and find out exactly what is needed. I don't need a house owners's details, but other offices apparently do. In Samui apparently they require a medical for retirement extension which I don't.

Simplest way to avoid the uncertainty is to use an agency, which I now do. No need to get to office at 4 am, and take everything just in case. I just turned up at 10 am to obtain bank letter and at 3 pm for photo. 

• Like 1

Just now, thaibeachlovers said:

Depends on the individual immigration office, which is why it is a good idea to go to office before and find out exactly what is needed. I don't need a house owners's details, but other offices apparently do. 

Good call. I did just that yesterday up here in Issan trying to plan ahead. The lady was really helpful and told me exactly what I require for this Province which did include house owners Id and details where I am staying. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

They've never refused my 3.5 x 4.5 Passport photos. (Of which I had 12).

However I did have 4 x 6 printed recently as that is what it states on TM7.

I'll correct my list. Thanks for the heads up Joe on my oversight.

The photo depends on the officer far as I can tell. Some insist on blue background and some on white. Last time I went the officer accepted different colours.

The agency I used took the photo on the day.

12 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

It's a comprehensive list.

Not every Immigration office will request every document every time.

It's better to have a document not requested, than not have a document they request.

My Immigration office request a Health certificate for retirement extensions!

I read a post from someone a while back where he had to provide as much info for a retirement as for a marriage extension. Just more money needed. I have no idea why photos of the house would be required for a single man that can move any time he wants.

20 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I read a post from someone a while back where he had to provide as much info for a retirement as for a marriage extension. Just more money needed. I have no idea why photos of the house would be required for a single man that can move any time he wants.

You are required to report each move, though - via TM-30s or TM-28s (depending on the office) - and on subsequent 90-day reports, when applicable.

catoni, as mentioned by others, you should mention the office where you plan to do the extension.  as an example, i used chaeng wattana in bangkok.  they did not ask for any info related to where i live.  i simply listed my address on the form and that was it.  i had a copy of my rental agreement but no one asked for it.  i assume i was already in their system due to numerous extensions of tourist visas in the past (this was my first extension based on retirement).  if you've done 90 reports, you may also be in the system and not need the back up for your address.

17 hours ago, Catoni said:

I was worried that O-A was only good for a maximum of one year, and then one year extension after getting re-entry permit and leaving and returning near the end of the first year. So two years max. 

Your O-A expired one year from when it was issued. You're not extending the visa, you're extending your permission to remain in Thailand. Thus, since you no longer have a visa, if you wish to exit and return you need the re-entry permit.

Your extension will be added on from the date your current permission ends regardless of when you apply. Applying 30 days before it expires will not result in any loss of days, but it does allow you some wiggle room in case you need to get some document you've forgotten.

Requirements can vary slightly from office to office. At Jomtien I bring the following:

TM7 filled out, signed and with your phone number added below signature. Print it out on both sides of a single sheet of paper, not on two sheets of paper. Some offices will accept two sheets of paper.

4 x 6 cm recent passport photo 

Baht 1900

Passport

Photocopies of:

passport identity page,

all prior extension stamps

original visa you used to enter the country and entry stamp

departure card (TM 6)

All photocopies need to be signed to show you are claiming they are true copies.

Original income affidavit from your embassy less than 6 months old, if you use that method

Original letter from your bank manager if you are using bank balance as part of your proof of finances. Usually the letter should be issued the day of your application or the day before ... depends on which office you use as to how "fresh" they want it.

Bank book photocopies ... past three months at least and the final balance shown should be EXACTLY equal to what is shown on manager's letter.

Proof of address. I've only used a copy of my condo deed and recent monthly condo utility bill. This item can vary from office to office. There seems to be a greater insistance on proof of TM.30.

• 2 weeks later...

My O-A 2nd year permission to stay will expire 14 Oct. 2018 but I will not be able to return to Thailand by then (only 1 month later). 

Will a re-entry permit allow me to engage the 1st year extension of stay application in late Nov. 2018?

I can have the 800k in the bank at any time from now on.

If this is not an option, can I apply this Winter as soon as the 60 day seasoning is done?

Many thanks for your help. 

51 minutes ago, GMajor said:

My O-A 2nd year permission to stay will expire 14 Oct. 2018 but I will not be able to return to Thailand by then (only 1 month later). 

Will a re-entry permit allow me to engage the 1st year extension of stay application in late Nov. 2018?

If this is not an option, can I apply this Winter as soon as the 60 day seasoning is done?

Many thanks for your help. 

When are you planning to depart from Thailand on the trip from which you are intending to return in late November 2018? If it is up to 30 days before 14 October 2018 (which by my reckoning is from 15 September 2018) you can apply for an annual retirement extension at your local immigration office within this time frame before your departure.

Indeed, at some offices it is possible to apply for an extension up to 45 days before the latest permission to stay expires (which by my reckoning is from 31 August 2018 in your case).

As well as your planned departure date from Thailand, please also clarify which is your local immigration office to enable further advice to be given.

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, GMajor said:

A re-entry permit is useless for trying to come back after the "permitted stay" date it was preserving is past.

4 minutes ago, GMajor said:

Departing April 14th. 2018. 

My Immigration office is Chonburi/Jomtien. 

4 mo early - I don't see that being allowed - though it could not hurt to ask.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GMajor said:

You have a number of options. If they issue them, I would suggest a single entry Non O visa from your home country as the easiest solution. Entering in November 2018, this will give a permission to stay until February 2019. Around January 2019, you then extend for a further year until February 2020. This should then have you conveniently placed for future winters, should Thailand still be your preferred annual cold weather bolt hole.

If the above does not work, a new Non O-A is an obvious alternative. You can get the health check done quickly and cheaply in Thailand before you leave if you do not mind applying for the Non O-A visa a little early.

It is also possible to enter as a tourist, and apply for the Non O visa in Thailand via a process called conversion. It is a bit messy, so consider the two options above first.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BritTim said:

You have a number of options. If they issue them, I would suggest a single entry Non O visa from your home country as the easiest solution. Entering in November 2018, this will give a permission to stay until February 2019. Around January 2019, you then extend for a further year until February 2020. This should then have you conveniently placed for future winters, should Thailand still be your preferred annual cold weather bolt hole.

If the above does not work, a new Non O-A is an obvious alternative. You can get the health check done quickly and cheaply in Thailand before you leave if you do not mind applying for the Non O-A visa a little early.

It is also possible to enter as a tourist, and apply for the Non O visa in Thailand via a process called conversion. It is a bit messy, so consider the two options above first.

"I would suggest a single entry Non O visa from your home country as the easiest solution."

He is unlikely to be able to obtain one of these in the UK unless he is in receipt of the State Pension (or married to a Thai national).

"It is also possible to enter as a tourist, and apply for the Non O visa in Thailand via a process called conversion."

His local immigration office is Jomtien which, as reported a number of times on here, is proving extremely difficult in processing such conversions. In addition, if he is planning to return on the basis of what will be, by then, be a one-way ticket in anticipation of beng stamped in for the standard 30 days upon arrival at BKK, he runs the risk of being denied boarding at LHR (or wherever) unless he can produce evidence of an onward flight booking out of Thailand within these 30 days.

So it looks like he is going to have to start all over again with a fresh Non OA visa. Since he is apparently planning on spending 7 months in the UK, time is presumably unlikely to be a pressing concern in this connection!