• Baboon
    • Darksidedog
    • JAG

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havenot been on TV for a while so missed this POTY thread. And see what must have been an oversight but I am not on the list. Certainly must be an error right.But that is ok no offense taken. (for those who do not under humour this is my idea of humour)

2 minutes ago, geronimo said:

That's right! I recall the event, and you looked positively grand with that barbed wire tiara!

alas, with tutsi it turned out to be a crown of thorns...'forgive them Father for they know not what they do...'

(any excuse to be 'biblical'...wouldn't you agree? and I don't even look like Charlton Heston...)

1 minute ago, tutsiwarrior said:

alas, with tutsi it turned out to be a crown of thorns...'forgive them Father for they know not what they do...'

(any excuse to be 'biblical'...wouldn't you agree? and I don't even look like Charlton Heston...)

Deserving of the final dot methinks ...

29 minutes ago, Thailand said:

In regard to the Dave2  thing. I nominated him,thought it was a nice thing to do for his memory .

It was put to the mods to see if it was acceptable to have a deceased person as a candidate and they agreed it was not a problem and he was subsequently accepted as a nominee and was in group 2.

So yes, you could have nominated the 2 deceased exemplary members. based on the original criteria.

There was no problem until it became obvious that he was going to walk the competition then I guess the pm's started flying and the honorary POTY thing was bestowed to throw a crumb and remove Dave2 from the competition.

That left 38 votes in group2 that had become worthless much like those in the final when Craig--- ? left, oops no that was not the case, voters were allowed to  reallocate their votes to another candidate.

That option was not given to the voters in group 2 , allowing the same concessions as were given in the final then you would no doubt be seeing a somewhat different line up. There has been no answer as to why that was allowed in one case and not the other.

It's not as if it is a well "attended"  competition with only a very small % of the registered members of TV voting and even less participating in the "fun". Would have been nice to get it right. 1514005.gif

Here's an alternative view.

I think that you and the others who support Dave2 are really great guys with the best intentions. You have brought this late posters legend to light for many  people who would not have known about him. I hadn't heard of him. But I am glad for you guys, and Dave2, and the rest of us, that he was elevated from the competition.

There are several reasons.

Firstly nobody else had a chance to win because it seems quite wrong to vote against someone's memorial tribute. It was quite obvious from the semifinals that Dave2 was going to walk away with it, so to speak. This would have in fact evaporated what is the only annual bit of fun and good natured jocularity that us pathetic, eight dot grumps, get up to on this forum. It quickly becomes a bit of a members roast, and the competitive rivalry's can be as hilarious as they are nonsensical. You may not know this, but it is only a coincidence that the POTY's appear to stand for Poster of the Year. In fact they were actually named in recognition of the kind of humor required to participate. And that kind of humor generally makes for a poor memorial. And lastly, I really wonder if Dave2 would have been happy to see all of us immature ne'er-do-wells with our hats in hand, not exactly sure what happened to our little bit a Christmas fun. I think Dave2 would probably have been quite chuffed about your support but I also think he would be quite happy to take high road and accept the honorary title, leaving let the rest of us get on with this greased pig competition.

44 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Nancy is used to fast car chases, catknapping and strange rituals, so a bit of keyboard humour doesn't do it.

Yes, catnapping, rescue missions mounted by a clandestine member of the BSA, a candidate offering up his young children for internet ogling by pedophile voters, numerous photos claimed to be of candidates pets' (for the pleasure of voters into relationships with small animals), epic performances by a tone deaf candidate, endless posts of videos from that same candidate (some of the selections were good) and comparisons of cars we used to own.

PontiacTransAm.jpgYup, I used to own a 1978 Pontiac Trans Am.  Bought it from my mother after she bought a 1981 Chevy Corvette.  Always liked her used cars.

2 minutes ago, canuckamuck said:

Here's an alternative view.

I think that you and the others who support Dave2 are really great guys with the best intentions. You have brought this late posters legend to light for many  people who would not have known about him. I hadn't heard of him. But I am glad for you guys, and Dave2, and the rest of us, that he was elevated from the competition.

There are several reasons.

Firstly nobody else had a chance to win because it seems quite wrong to vote against someone's memorial tribute. It was quite obvious from the semifinals that Dave2 was going to walk away with it, so to speak. This would have in fact evaporated what is the only annual bit of fun and good natured jocularity that us pathetic, eight dot grumps, get up to on this forum. It quickly becomes a bit of a members roast, and the competitive rivalry's can be as hilarious as they are nonsensical. You may not know this, but it is only a coincidence that the POTY's appear to stand for Poster of the Year. In fact they were actually named in recognition of the kind of humor required to participate. And that kind of humor generally makes for a poor memorial. And lastly, I really wonder if Dave2 would have been happy to see all of us immature ne'er-do-wells with our hats in hand, not exactly sure what happened to our little bit a Christmas fun. I think Dave2 would probably have been quite chuffed about your support but I also think he would be quite happy to take high road and accept the honorary title, leaving let the rest of us get on with this greased pig competition.

"Bury me deep"..

A famous saying from an extinct ancient tribe. Can't remember which one.

4 minutes ago, NancyL said:

Yes, all this is right, but the shouldn't the people who voted for Dave2 in Poll 2 been given a chance to recast their vote, the way that Craig's voters have been able to do in this Final Round?  The final results of Poll 2 would be very different with more of the "also rans" making it to the Finals.

That was before, the technology had advanced by the time Craig was put in safe keeping, so the mods had more choices. It's a wonderful age we live in, what was impossible yesterday is suddenly ordinary,

Just now, canuckamuck said:

That was before, the technology had advanced by the time Craig was put in safe keeping, so the mods had more choices. It's a wonderful age we live in, what was impossible yesterday is suddenly ordinary,

What a load of poop.jpg

1 hour ago, NancyL said:

Evenstevens says he's had a few "yellow and red cards", but I don't think he's been banned.  Not unless that's happened since this Saturday when he last posted.  Besides some of his "yellow and red cards" were for posts that I reported, so doesn't it count that I was the one who nominated him -- to add some extra spice to this year's rather bland contest?

59 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You are correct, I mispoke because the new system lists people on suspension as "banned" on their profile (at least that part of the profile visible to Mods, which is what I had checked).  He is in fact only suspended. Which still makes him ineligible, must be a member currently in good standing to win POTY. (As proven by Tutsi, once crowned, you can then transgress without losing the title, but to get it you have to be a currently active member)

As for you both having  nominated him and then reported posts of his, I  think we can just chalk that up  to the byzantine nature of the race...:sleep:

Trans Am -- guess your nose is currently clean.  Poor Evenstevens somehow managed to get himself suspended since he last posted on Saturday and wasn't able to join the pack in this year's POTY contest.

Just now, NancyL said:

Me, too, at least for a few hours.  Hubby is taking me out for high times with the Royal British Legion social night.  Doesn't get any better than this with him.

It's bloody six o'clock in the evening. What's the matter with the pair of you?

5 hours ago, geronimo said:
5 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

You are joking, aren't you?

He tends to be a bit impulsive after a few

Truth be told, it was 29 years ago tomorrow (12/21/88) that I took the oath and haven't touched a drop since then.  So I'm living proof that you don't NEED beer.

But that's not the point I was going for...  If it isn't kicking your butt, enjoy your beer.  I mean it.  Just like a lot of us are enjoying this totally unnecessary popularity contest (to close the loop back onto the post I was responding to). 

And on that note, I'm one hour ahead of BKK time, and I hear my pillow calling me.