1. 1. Final Round for POTY, 2017

• Transam
    • Colinneil
    • Baboon
    • Darksidedog
    • JAG

This poll is closed to new votes

21 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

I think I've supported it pretty well considering I'm a newbie and tried to contribute where possible. If every member had shown half as much interest the threads would be hundreds of pages long and the vote counts in the 1000's. So obviously it's not reaching out to the general memebership. 

The question is why? I think there has been a lot of in fighting, a lot of discussions about individuals from the past and with the greatest respect to them, it means nothing to many, a lot of "in jokes" relating to historic events that for anyone looking in would mean nothing, and generally ended up as a chat thread for a few. Anyone looking in wouldnt have a clue what most of the discussions were about let alone the private internal battles going on. 

All in in all a bit of a turn off. 

Nothing personal against anyone, just my personal opinions.

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I do contend that the very nature of a popularity contest leaves out a lot of people who wouldn't have any basis on which to base their vote. 

Imagine voting for the King and Queen of the Prom as a newcomer to any high school, without the benefit of having interacted with them enough to know if they're snobs or great people.  Then add the additional murkiness of not even seeing if they have teeth or hair.  But just because there's newcomers who don't get it, doesn't mean you don't diss 99.5% of the student body by not electing them king and queen.

So, yeah.  There's a lot of banter that you'd have to spend a lot of time on TVF, and often even IRL to understand.  But that's just the nature of it.  After 6+ years, I don't have a clue about half the inside jokes, but I am, by nature, clueless anyway.  I do enjoy the opportunity to get in a free zinger here, though.  "Free" in that everyone knows (or should know) that it's just for fun and nothing personal.

Edited by impulse

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Kadilo said:

When it kicked off I honestly thought it was just a bit of harmless fun with loads of banter and good humour but after a few days seemed to lose its way and became a whole lot more serious. That's when things seemed to turn a bit sour for a variety of reasons, obviously many which went straight over my head and probably many you others looking in. 

If the first few days were reciprocated throughout I think it has a lot of appeal. 

Utopia eh lol 

No, in some past years, people have actually gotten suspended for the nastiness on the threads.  

there's more to the dots than meets the eye, in fact, as you can see by my avatar, I have become obsessed with dotting, and the deeper I delve, the more amazing it gets.

Forget reptilians and shapeshifting, the dots go back to before we roamed the planet. Were left here by an alien civilisation.

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

No, in some past years, people have actually gotten suspended for the nastiness on the threads.  

I find it really difficult to understand how someone could get so intense about something like this but takes all sorts. 

Better take it out on here than the pet cat I guess 

Scott clarified the dot system a little earlier (thx for that), but it goes much deeper. It isn't just the like-post ration that counts, as the content itself is also assessed on humour and politeness. Must have some amazing software to do that.

25 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:
43 minutes ago, impulse said:

....Then add the additional murkiness of not even seeing if they have teeth or hair.  ...

No-one ever mentioned that as part of the criteria; now we really are going to have to have a recount

No recount required.  The sad fact is that a lot of people's success in life is predicated on their physical appearance.  Good looking people get a lot of advantages, deserved or otherwise.

At least, that's how I justify being where I am in life...

4 minutes ago, impulse said:

No recount required.  The sad fact is that a lot of people's success in life is predicated on their physical appearance.  Good looking people get a lot of advantages, deserved or otherwise.

Good looking will get you nowhere here .... ugly helps though

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

Agree - The system forms us, we have to play to its rules .... even your dots count outside of TV. Bit like your credit history, follows you wherever you go.

2 minutes ago, Scott said:

We supply the hair....a tiara won't stay on a bald head.   We don't supply the teeth because we can't afford the rabies shots.  

Well i am ok then, got my own hair, teeth soaking now, had a rabies shot already.

14 minutes ago, Scott said:

We supply the hair....a tiara won't stay on a bald head.   We don't supply the teeth because we can't afford the rabies shots.  

A good mechanic like Transam could get a tiara to stick anywhere. 

But let's just ask him to perch it on his head, if he wins.

So long as he hasn't gone berserk with the Pledge, a couple of dods of blu-tac should do the job, or self-amalgamating gaffer tape, if you want the job done properly.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I don't disagree with anything you've said, but I do contend that the very nature of a popularity contest leaves out a lot of people who wouldn't have any basis on which to base their vote. 

Imagine voting for the King and Queen of the Prom as a newcomer to any high school, without the benefit of having interacted with them enough to know if they're snobs or great people.  Then add the additional murkiness of not even seeing if they have teeth or hair.  But just because there's newcomers who don't get it, doesn't mean you don't diss 99.5% of the student body by not electing them king and queen.

So, yeah.  There's a lot of banter that you'd have to spend a lot of time on TVF, and often even IRL to understand.  But that's just the nature of it.  After 6+ years, I don't have a clue about half the inside jokes, but I am, by nature, clueless anyway.  I do enjoy the opportunity to get in a free zinger here, though.  "Free" in that everyone knows (or should know) that it's just for fun and nothing personal.

Good post, I have to add that it has got very personal in past years and hopefully we can keep a lid on that now and in the future.