Accidental gunshot hurts two in Rayong bank

snoop1130

Accidental gunshot hurts two in Rayong bank

BB4287A3-7671-4C92-8B40-303113AA39F3.jpeg

A female bank employee and a client were injured by a gunshot which was accidentally fired from a pistol of a police officer at the Siam Commercial Bank’s Ban Chang branch in Royong province on Monday morning (Dec 18), police said.

Pol Col Jakrin Thuasupap, the Ban Chang police chief, said the accident occurred when Pol Sub-Lt Nikom Pan-iam, a police officer of Ban Chang police station providing security inside the bank, went into the toilet and took off a belt with a 9mm Glock pistol in the holster from his waist.

The pistol accidentally dropped onto a table and a gunshot was accidentally fired from it. The bullet went through the toilet wall, hitting Ms Chanetthip Phusuwan, a bank employee, in a shoulder. The gunshot went on to hit Nares Nuansri, a client who was sitting in front of the bank counter, in the belly.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/accidental-gunshot-hurts-two-rayong-bank/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-12-18

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s an unfortunate tale.

Didn’t realise guns went off that easily. 

Some pistols have a protruding hammer that rests against the firing pin.

If something strikes the back of the hammer (such as when dropped) it can cause a round to fire.

So many guns in the hands off so many poorly trained police scares me.

I remember the first time I went to our local bank a old police officer armed with a shot gun was sat on the steps drinking a can of beer. Thankfully our local town has now moved into the 1980's, but every time I have to go inside the bank it still worries me what would happen if the police officer was put in a position when he was needed.

An act of negligence that will go unpunished. I have seen loaded Glock pistols dropped onto asphalt from a helicopter at a height of 100 feet and not one discharge. The Glock has a firing pin safety that fits between the firing pin and the firing pin channel. The Glock will only fire when the trigger is depressed. Depressing the trigger lifts the firing pin safety out of the way allowing the firing pin to moved forward to strike the cartridge primer.

I'd bet he was practicing his quick draw in front of the bathroom mirror. I wonder if there is a bullet hole in the mirror?

10 hours ago, jaywalker said:

Some pistols have a protruding hammer that rests against the firing pin.

If something strikes the back of the hammer (such as when dropped) it can cause a round to fire.

Yeah. If it's an old cheap one. Most have a bar that rests between the hammer and firing pin that slides down when the trigger is depressed. I did have a cheap single shot 6 round .22 that did not have one and had to have an empty chamber under the hammer when hiking.

Think this might be one of the new cheap weapons that Thailand purchased a while back for the police I'm sure I read somewhere that the US and UK forces decided they were unsafe due to accidentally discharging if dropped or hit hard I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong

The TV detective in me is coming out

A . Why is there a table in toilet

B Look how high the bullet hole is in comparison to an actual table

C It hit a Woman in the shoulder, so she was either  a dwarf or sitting down

D The bullet went on and hit a woman in the belly who was sitting down (Perhaps a very high chair)

I'm no gun expert but that's a very strange trajectory

1 hour ago, PhuketRon said:

Yeah. If it's an old cheap one. Most have a bar that rests between the hammer and firing pin that slides down when the trigger is depressed. I did have a cheap single shot 6 round .22 that did not have one and had to have an empty chamber under the hammer when hiking.

Yep. It must be ancient & cheap.

I have .357 Ruger Security Six revolver (made in 1970) that has a transfer bar/plate that goes between the hammer & the firing pin, only when the trigger is pulled or it is manually cocked = the hammer never touches the firing pin. It only smacks the transfer plate.

1 hour ago, drayger said:

Think this might be one of the new cheap weapons that Thailand purchased a while back for the police I'm sure I read somewhere that the US and UK forces decided they were unsafe due to accidentally discharging if dropped or hit hard I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me if I'm wrong

Had to be a Sig Sauer & not a Glock.

----------------------

The Dallas, TX PD has issued a recall on the Sig Sauer P320 pistol, due to possible safety issues

A recall has been issued based on the possibility of the P320 discharging when the pistol is dropped.

http://www.wideopenspaces.com/breaking-dallas-pd-issues-recall-sig-sauer-p320/

Edited by jaywalker

Let's just agree that it was not on safety and the cop had no training on it.

The Glock pistol has five independent safety systems in it and not one of them are manually applied. The gun is designed to survive a drop from a good height and not go off with a live cartridge in the chamber.

This excuse of safeties not working is BS. Carry on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

That’s an unfortunate tale.

Didn’t realise guns went off that easily. 

Glock pistols do not have an exposed hammer and have the three separate internal safeties that ensure the gun will not go off 'accidentally'.  The first is a trigger safety that is a small lever fitted inside the trigger itself that must be depressed before the trigger can be squeezed far enough to release the next safety feature when pulled.  After the trigger safety is released the trigger than pushes a piston which releases the firing pin safety which is positioned to stop the firing pin moving forward unless the two aforementioned actions have happened.  The last safety feature is the drop safety which retains the firing pin until the first three actions have been completed and further rearward movement of the trigger releases the drop safety of its locked platform.

All the safeties were designed using locksmith principles of levers releasing actions.

There are numerous videos showing the Glock pistol being dropped several hundred feet from a helicopter and being clobbered by a hammer; it does not go off.

There is no such thing as an 'accidental discharge', the correct terminology is a 'negligent discharge.  I doubt the veracity of the explanation of the Glock going off when dropped..

Edited by animalmagic
typo

While holidaying with some Thai friends a few years back we were drinking late in one of my friends rooms. The subject came around to guns and he had his gun in his bag. 

I took a look, but before the gun was handed to me my friend removed the loaded round from the chamber (I can't remember what make of gun it was - but it was the usual Glock type).

What amazed me was that he carried his gun in a bag, loaded with a round in the chamber - the only thing needed for discharge was to thumb down the safety and pull the trigger. 

I was shocked at how dangerous this is but was informed that this is they way my friends in the RTP are trained: i.e. to keep their weapon loaded, round in the chamber... just in case they need it quickly... (even when off duty). 

Thus: it doesn't surprise me that one has gone off accidentally - conventional safety practices regarding gun control are simply not followed here. 

20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

While holidaying with some Thai friends a few years back we were drinking late in one of my friends rooms. The subject came around to guns and he had his gun in his bag. 

- conventional safety practices regarding gun control are simply not followed here. 

Obviously.

Drinking & loaded guns. What could possibly go wrong?

The cop had a round chambered in the spout so all he would have to do is pull the hammer back to let one fly off. Faster to shoot if you have to and gives you an extra round on top of magazine capacity in an automatic but requires a very safety minded approach to handling the gun. Crazy that he didn't have the safety catch on...sloppy.  

14 minutes ago, jaywalker said:

Obviously.

Drinking & loaded guns. What could possibly go wrong?

Indeed - I pointed out how silly it was to have a loaded gun in their 'hand bag / man bag' while drinking etc...  These are very decent, smart, well educated guys from good family backgrounds - but they still insisted that they needed to keep their weapons loaded.... I couldn't believe what I was hearing. 

In Thailand we see guns every day carried by the Police... I wonder how many of these are in a 'permanent state of readiness' which is highly concerning.