How long will the cold spell last ?

balo

2 minutes ago, balo said:

I get my weather forecast from the Thai Meteorological Department . It's usually more precise than BBC . They do a translation to English posted several times per day  . 

https://www.tmd.go.th/en/

OK, my app is currently showing 27C max today and 23C minimum tonight. Windows 10 native app.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

You lot over there are a real bunch of :passifier:...

20171228_104720.thumb.jpg.4fdc4af80247991b8b50464b943d4aa9.jpg

Taken from my office window a few minutes ago, 1'c outside.

Geez, that's hot! Check this out...

5a44f785ef4c1_weatherrussia.jpg.d153fb2e12f3230bf4689bdef790a7f2.jpg

To put that into perspective, a strandard freezer is about -18C. The hottest they got today was -43C. There are probably a few colder locations in Antarctica.

Edited by tropo

• 2 weeks later...

The weather is still very unusual at this time of the year and in the middle of the dry season. You just can't trust it anymore ,yesterday a clear blue sky , and today  a heavy rain storm .  Don't tell me this happened last year and the year before , or maybe my memory is not what it used to be.

Weather forecast for today : 

Cool with strong winds, dropping by 2-4 °C. Isolated thundershowers mostly in Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat. Minimum temperature 17-21 °C. Maximum temperature 27-30 °C. Northeasterly winds 20-35 km/hr. Wave height about 2 meters and above 2 meters offshore. The strong northeast monsoon prevails across the Gulf of Thailand and the South bringing isolated downpours in the South with rough sea 2-3 meters high in the Gulf and the Andaman Sea.

14 minutes ago, balo said:

The weather is still very unusual at this time of the year and in the middle of the dry season. You just can't trust it anymore ,yesterday a clear blue sky , and today  a heavy rain storm .  Don't tell me this happened last year and the year before , or maybe my memory is not what it used to be.

Cool with strong winds, dropping by 2-4 °C. Isolated thundershowers mostly in Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat. Minimum temperature 17-21 °C. Maximum temperature 27-30 °C. Northeasterly winds 20-35 km/hr. Wave height about 2 meters and above 2 meters offshore. The strong northeast monsoon prevails across the Gulf of Thailand and the South bringing isolated downpours in the South with rough sea 2-3 meters high in the Gulf and the Andaman Sea.

I don't think it's unusual. It usually unpredictable at any time of year. We have lots of rain when we don't expect it and no rain when we expect it. It's that type of climate here. There is no distinct wet and dry season in Pattaya... just times that ON AVERAGE have more rain.

When I retired here back in Nov 2011 I didn't see any rain for maybe 4 months or more, this time around it hasn't seemed to stop raining, very weird. 

Out on the Darkside it is about 25 degrees outside, just over 26 indoors, as for the OP "How long will it last" I'm just checking my piece of string :whistling:

32 minutes ago, Golden Triangle said:

When I retired here back in Nov 2011 I didn't see any rain for maybe 4 months or more, this time around it hasn't seemed to stop raining, very weird. 

Out on the Darkside it is about 25 degrees outside, just over 26 indoors, as for the OP "How long will it last" I'm just checking my piece of string :whistling:

Right now, on the coast, my room temperature with windows open is 27.3C at 81% humidity. Using the popular Heat Index Scale, that "feel like" 30.5C.

In answer to the OP's question: "how long will it last". It stopped "lasting" at the end of December.

It's weird that you think "it hasn't seemed to stop raining". I don't know where you live, but I only remember 2 wet days this year, and the one today was merely a brief shower.

We're only 3 months from the hottest month of the year, but temperatures don't vary much over the year.

Here are some interesting stats:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/pattaya/averages/

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, tropo said:

Right now, on the coast, my room temperature with windows open is 27.3C at 81% humidity. Using the popular Heat Index Scale, that "feel like" 30.5C.

In answer to the OP's question: "how long will it last". It stopped "lasting" at the end of December.

It's weird that you think "it hasn't seemed to stop raining". I don't know where you live, but I only remember 2 wet days this year, and the one today was merely a brief shower.

We're only 3 months from the hottest month of the year, but temperatures don't vary much over the year.

Here are some interesting stats:

http://www.holiday-weather.com/pattaya/averages/

Correct, I suspect the other poster's memory is failing him.  There are always people who claim that this is the rainiest ever, or the driest ever, or the hottest ever, etcetc....alot of people are simply looking for a fake political weather movement, like global warming, to join

4 hours ago, tropo said:

I don't think it's unusual. It usually unpredictable at any time of year. We have lots of rain when we don't expect it and no rain when we expect it. It's that type of climate here. There is no distinct wet and dry season in Pattaya.

So you are saying that my memory is wrong ?  

I have been living in Pattaya since 2013 , and Bangkok from 2010 to 2013 . I remember the very cold spell in BKK back in 2011 that lasted a week with temperatures down to 16 C, but I can not remember the same after that .  

I remember maybe 1 or 2 days in December and January with rainy days.every year , it happens ,  but not over a longer period , like we had in December , and now in January  . 

I am sure there are statistics available somewhere online, but have not been able to find it. 

23 minutes ago, balo said:

I have been living in Pattaya since 2013 , and Bangkok from 2010 to 2013 . I remember the very cold spell in BKK back in 2011 that lasted a week with temperatures down to 16 C, but I can not remember the same after that .  

I remember maybe 1 or 2 days in December and January with rainy days.every year , it happens ,  but not over a longer period , like we had in December , and now in January  . 

I am sure there are statistics available somewhere online, but have not been able to find it. 

Try wiki as a start

Climate data for Pattaya (1981–2010)

Month

Jan

Feb

Mar

Apr

May

Jun

Jul

Aug

Sep

Oct

Nov

Dec

Year

Average rainfall mm (inches)

(0.614)

(0.563)

(2.098)

(2.52)

(5.839)

(4.685)

(3.835)

(3.843)

(8.059)

(8.508)

(2.839)

(0.327)

(43.728)

Average rainy days

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pattaya#Climate

Doesn't tell us much except average rainfall in December is 1.4 days and January 1.6 since 1981 .   So we are way over average for 2017/18 . 

Edited by balo

4 hours ago, balo said:

I wasn't making any point about your memory. My point was that there is nothing unusual about the current weather. Based on weather statistics and in particular the weather over the last 5 years, it is quite normal.

... but now that you mention it, no, I don't think your memory is as good as you think it is with regards to weather.

Rainfall:

Historical average: Jan 13.7 mm, Dec 6.4 mm.

Jan 2013: 129.6 mm, Dec 2013: 7.0 mm

Jan 2014: 1.0 mm, Dec 2014: 2.8 mm                                           

Jan 2015: 16.4 mm, Dec 2015: 24.2 mm

Jan 2016: 47.2 mm, Dec 2016: 24.2 mm 

Jan 2017: 77.4 mm, Dec 2017: 15.8 mm

Jan 2018 (so far): 15.8 mm (15.0 mm today) and a very light drizzle on Jan 8. The only rain in December occurred on 26 and 27. 

(data from Pattaya Weather Station: http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Weather-Station.html)

Please point out the unusual aspects of the current Dec - Jan weather.  

Temperature:

Days with the minimum below 20°C:

Dec 2009 - Jan 2010: 0 days

Dec 2010 - Jan 2011: 0 days

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012: 5 days (all in Dec - lowest 18°C)

Dec 2012 - Jan 2013: 0 days

Dec 2013 - Jan 2014: 9 days (all in Dec - lowest 17°C)

Dec 2014 - Jan 2015: 1 days (Jan 17 - 19°C)

Dec 2015 - Jan 2016: 3 days (all in Jan - lowest 18°C)

Dec 2016 - Jan 2017: 0 days

Dec 2017 - Jan 2018: 4 days (so far - in Dec - lowest 16°C)

Data source: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/thailand/pattaya/historic?month=1&year=2018

I can recall some cool temperatures between 2005 - 2009, but the above source doesn't go back that far.

The 2011 very cold spell (as you called it) had nothing to do with the normal cool period from Dec - Jan. That was what I could call a truly unusual weather. It was extraordinary. It was in summer, just weeks before the hottest month of the year. It went from March 17 - 31, 2011. Night time temperatures set a new record low on March 18 at 18.5°C in Pattaya and 18.0°C in Bangkok (for March). The maximum on March 17 was reported at 21°C. For 7 days the minimum was at 22°C or below and 4 days had maximums of 25°C or below. That was a real treat from the regular 32 - 34°C temperatures on either side of that "very cold spell". There were even 2 hot days in the middle of it on Mar 21 and Mar 22 when the temperatures returned to normal.

BTW, I linked a site in the post above that gives all averages for Pattaya.

Here it is again: http://www.holiday-weather.com/pattaya/averages/

Edited by tropo

Thanks , unfortunately we can not track the temperature back to the 80's and 90's and compare it with the last years. Would be interesting to see if we had fewer days of cold weather under 20 C , 20 or 30 years ago  

Edited by balo

1 hour ago, balo said:

Thanks , unfortunately we can not track the temperature back to the 80's and 90's and compare it with the last years. Would be interesting to see if we had fewer days of cold weather under 20 C , 20 or 30 years ago  

My guess is that there have been many cold days over past years before the records I could find and that nothing much has changed.

Here's a clue. This is a chart of record cold days for March in various places in Thailand. These records were broken in March 2011. The chart gives 1994 and 1992 as the start dates of record keeping in Bangkok and Chonburi respectively. The previous record in Chonburi was March 3, 1997 at 19°C... which stood for 14 years until March 18, 2011 when it sank to 18.5°C. Other record cold March temps were set back in 2005, 2009 and 2010.   

I found this surprising in that the cold spell we had in March did happen before, in 1997, although it was 0.5°C warmer then. By the looks of it, there's nothing new under the sun. Whether we ever experience it again is anyone's guess.

You totally forgot about the January 2014 cool spell - the longest in 30 years. Saying Bangkok hit it's the coldest record in 30 years implies that it has been that cold before. Of course, that could also mean they only started keeping records 30 years ago.

Coldest weather in decades hits Thailand

national January 23, 2014 00:00

The temperature in the Thai capital Bangkok fell to its lowest in decades Thursday, during an unusually cold winter that has already claimed 63 lives in northern parts of the country, the government said.

"Bangkok hit its coldest record in 30 years Thursday morning when the temperature fell to 15.6 Celsius," said Songkram Aksorn, Deputy Director General of the Thai Meteorological Department.
This year's cool season has been the longest for a decade, lasting for almost three months, Songkram said.
Temperatures in north and north-eastern Thailand have dipped to single digits, claiming up to 63 lives in 24 provinces, the Ministry of Health said Thursday.

... has records going back to 1996. It's the same pattern. Some years there are no minimums under 20°C and other years they have a few. Occasionally quite a few.

1999 December was particularly nasty with 8 days in a row with minimums dropping under 20°C. 18 - 16 - 14 - 13 - 12 - 13 - 14 - 16 (Dec 22 to Dec 28, 1999). January 2009 they had another cold run with 15's to 19's, 10 days in a row.

Edited by tropo

8 hours ago, tropo said:

I wasn't making any point about your memory. My point was that there is nothing unusual about the current weather. Based on weather statistics and in particular the weather over the last 5 years, it is quite normal.

... but now that you mention it, no, I don't think your memory is as good as you think it is with regards to weather.

Rainfall:

Historical average: Jan 13.7 mm, Dec 6.4 mm.

Jan 2013: 129.6 mm, Dec 2013: 7.0 mm

Jan 2014: 1.0 mm, Dec 2014: 2.8 mm                                           

Jan 2015: 16.4 mm, Dec 2015: 24.2 mm

Jan 2016: 47.2 mm, Dec 2016: 24.2 mm 

Jan 2017: 77.4 mm, Dec 2017: 15.8 mm

Jan 2018 (so far): 15.8 mm (15.0 mm today) and a very light drizzle on Jan 8. The only rain in December occurred on 26 and 27. 

(data from Pattaya Weather Station: http://www.pattayaweather.net/Pattaya-Weather-Station.html)

Please point out the unusual aspects of the current Dec - Jan weather.  

Temperature:

Days with the minimum below 20°C:

Dec 2009 - Jan 2010: 0 days

Dec 2010 - Jan 2011: 0 days

Dec 2011 - Jan 2012: 5 days (all in Dec - lowest 18°C)

Dec 2012 - Jan 2013: 0 days

Dec 2013 - Jan 2014: 9 days (all in Dec - lowest 17°C)

Dec 2014 - Jan 2015: 1 days (Jan 17 - 19°C)

Dec 2015 - Jan 2016: 3 days (all in Jan - lowest 18°C)

Dec 2016 - Jan 2017: 0 days

Dec 2017 - Jan 2018: 4 days (so far - in Dec - lowest 16°C)

Data source: https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/thailand/pattaya/historic?month=1&year=2018

I can recall some cool temperatures between 2005 - 2009, but the above source doesn't go back that far.

The 2011 very cold spell (as you called it) had nothing to do with the normal cool period from Dec - Jan. That was what I could call a truly unusual weather. It was extraordinary. It was in summer, just weeks before the hottest month of the year. It went from March 17 - 31, 2011. Night time temperatures set a new record low on March 18 at 18.5°C in Pattaya and 18.0°C in Bangkok (for March). The maximum on March 17 was reported at 21°C. For 7 days the minimum was at 22°C or below and 4 days had maximums of 25°C or below. That was a real treat from the regular 32 - 34°C temperatures on either side of that "very cold spell". There were even 2 hot days in the middle of it on Mar 21 and Mar 22 when the temperatures returned to normal.

BTW, I linked a site in the post above that gives all averages for Pattaya.

Here it is again: http://www.holiday-weather.com/pattaya/averages/

Be careful, now you ARE confessing to making a "point" about his memory and may unleash the hounds of hell and fury of a superdissed poster, who thought he had the best memory on the planet....at least that is what he remembers!

18 hours ago, balo said:

I think it is indeed your memory, as I remember when I received my new bike mid January 2010, I wasn't able to take it for a decent trip for at least a month because it rained every day.

LOL> now that we have established that all fears about this weather being unusual and unprecedented are unfounded... I hope it lasts long. Of course, statistically it won't, but we can hope. The humidity has dropped from the 80's yesterday down to 60% today, making it very pleasant. Did anyone else notice a huge number of mosquitoes about yesterday? I left my windows open near dawn and had to kill over 30 mosquitoes in one room... just one shower after a dry spell was all it took.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

LOL> now that we have established that all fears about this weather being unusual and unprecedented are unfounded... I hope it lasts long. Of course, statistically it won't, but we can hope. The humidity has dropped from the 80's yesterday down to 60% today, making it very pleasant. Did anyone else notice a huge number of mosquitoes about yesterday? I left my windows open near dawn and had to kill over 30 mosquitoes in one room... just one shower after a dry spell was all it took.

Be careful...you are gonna stir the hornets' nest...errr, mosquito nest of sheeple's memory here...was it 29 or 30 mossie last season etcetc???

6 hours ago, balo said:

Well it is chilly tonight , and no need for air-con . But we're not under 20 celsius yet. I love to exercise in this weather , long may it last - 

Another day I've managed to train in my home gym without aircon. The room temperature needs to get to 26°C or below for that to happen. These are rare days that I really enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Another day with rain , not much but still .......6 days in January . 

This is the latest forecast : 

During 29 January to 4 February, thundershowers will be likely for a few days of this period before windy days with a decrease in temperature by 6-8 °C follow, affecting the Northeast first and the rest regions including Bangkok. Keep healthy and watch for crop’s failure.

Another high pressure will cover upper Thailand and the South China Sea, and the stronger northeast monsoon prevails across the Gulf leading to heavy rains with isolated torrential downpours for the South. The Gulf’s sea and the Andaman have waves 2-3 meters high, and inshore surges are still watched along the Gulf during 31 January to 4 February. The advisory is effect on 26 January 2018, at 11.00 a.m