Questions about putting a solid state drive in old laptop

jadee

13 minutes ago, KneeDeep said:

I would always run a clean install anyway. At that point I would install 64 bit.

I've done two clean installs after having problems with updates and when my hard drive passed away. 

I'm wondering if the 64 bit version would be faster? I might try that soon. 

8 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

It's got a 64 processor, but I always used 32 versions. It came with XP when I bought it and i continued with the 32 bit version of W 7, then upgraded to W 10. 

a windows 32 bit os does quite well on most daily tings. 64 bit takes advantage of much higher amounts of ram. 32 bit is limited to support less ram. programs that rely on lots of ram also are usually 64 bit

i have a 2006 white intel macbook that runs great with 2 gigs ram and 2 internal hard drives. 

10 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

That machine is not old.

Git outta here! This thread is for machines that came supplied with XP or maybe Vista with 1GB of RAM.  :wink:

You should be ashamed of yourself, bringing that new machine in here.

My machine almost qualifies; http://www.toshiba.co.uk/discontinued-products/satellite-l300-1g5/

Now of course with 4 GB of RAM and an SSD.

Your DELL Inspiron isn't nine years old, but eight at the most.

Released around the same time as mine. August 2009.. :smile:

Mine is from May 2006 , so >11,5 years , still working fine on XP sp2.

2 GB ram still enough.

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

It was released in June 2008, I think that I bought it around November 2008 with XP on it. 

OP, Macrium is a free and one of the best programs to backup, restore, but also to clone. Always up to date and working well.

It's always good to have two back ups/

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

Ok if you bought it with XP, you qualify. :smile:

A very Merry Christmas to you.

12 hours ago, jenny2017 said:

I've done two clean installs after having problems with updates and when my hard drive passed away. 

I'm wondering if the 64 bit version would be faster? I might try that soon. 

I install 64 bit as soon as I reach 4GB of RAM.

8 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

What didn't you like about XP SP3?

Model?

Similar to jenny2017 one.

Sp3 is BS. I went over long list of microsoft KB's , none of them affected me. Every KB says , if your computer is not affected by the thing the patch is trying to correct : don't install.  Well I didn't install ! :smile: Besides , many people have had problems installing sp3 , so why risk it . It has no benefits.

17 hours ago, BuaBS said:

Similar to jenny2017 one.

Sp3 is BS. I went over long list of microsoft KB's , none of them affected me. Every KB says , if your computer is not affected by the thing the patch is trying to correct : don't install.  Well I didn't install ! :smile: Besides , many people have had problems installing sp3 , so why risk it . It has no benefits.

:smile:  I would just run a clean install of the latest Windows XP with SP3 installation media. More risk in running unpatched XP2 if connected to the internet.

13 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

:smile:  I would just run a clean install of the latest Windows XP with SP3 installation media. More risk in running unpatched XP2 if connected to the internet.

Don't go there again , dude ! Sp2 is just fine . Don't drink the BS coolaid about "unpatched" is a risk . Doing it without problems since the last updates of 2010-11.

Edited by BuaBS