Unsightly farangs behaving badly.

tgeezer

No mistakes mate, only observation, understanding the lingo and a critical mind. Best way to know what thais really think is to not let them know you know/understand their language.

So start learning thai. With your shirt on ofcourse.

So you have been to places where you listen to Thais who don't know that you can understand them and this accounts for your attitude to Thailand.
Thanks, I can't help speaking some Thai but I shall certainly avoid going and doing what you do if it ensures that I won't become as bitter and twisted as you seem to be!

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 12/20/2017 at 5:30 PM, Dazinoz said:

I was in church one time and a topless girl walked in just as the priest was giving his sermon. He said to her "you can't come in here dressed like that". She said "but I have a divine right". The priest said "you have a divine left too but you still can't come in here dressed like that".

https://tinyurl.com/2d3ndht

Reading the initial post made me think of Bill O'Reilly.

Always wearing a suit and tie. Always talking about how important to have good table manners.

And frequently invoking God and being pro religion.

Meanwhile, he dragged his (now ex) wife downstairs by her hair in front of their young daughter, and sexually harassed multiple women at Fox TV.

But I'm sure at dinner he always used the correct utensil.

Edited by JimmyJ
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Goodness knows what this is about but sexually harrassing multiple women in front of his daughter holding his wife by the hair at fox TV which was presumably downstairs, is quite a feat!

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

• Haha 2

On 20/12/2017 at 8:27 PM, tgeezer said:

The similarities between Thai and English attitude to societies norms make it easy for both to behave in an acceptable way in one another's countries. I doubt that the Chinese shopkeeper or the man in your town would go to London and walk about shabbily dressed. I am sure that both would try to give a good impression of themselves and their country.

What I can't get is how me walking around shirtless could give a bad impression of my country?

As this post seems to upset the OP so much did the fellow do anything about it? Stop the man in a cool calm manner and take the time to say how this is culturally un acceptable in Thailand? Or just rant on here in hopes of catching posters who either  don't care or think it's an absurd rule to try to belittle them and show how much he has far superior Thainess?

A post saying how he took the time to talk to the guy who then understood would have been a way better read. If he was not such a warrior of the keyboard variety anyway.... 

As this post seems to upset the OP so much did the fellow do anything about it? Stop the man in a cool calm manner and take the time to say how this is culturally un acceptable in Thailand? Or just rant on here in hopes of catching posters who either  don't care or think it's an absurd rule to try to belittle them and show how much he has far superior Thainess?

A post saying how he took the time to talk to the guy who then understood would have been a way better read. If he was not such a warrior of the keyboard variety anyway.... 

I suppose it is too much to expect you to read what I wrote rather than what people ascribed to me. Post 90 of this very long topic makes you look ridiculous to me.
Let’s just address your points;

“Stop the man in a cool calm manner and take the time to say how this is culturally un acceptable in Thailand?”

I posted here hoping that the farang in question and others who behave like that might read it, many have as you can see. Addressing him in the street is not the thing to do since I would expect him to respond in similar manner to many of his defenders here and that would be upsetting to people around. Thai people pretend to not notice for similar reasons.

“Or just rant on here in hopes of catching posters who either  don't care or think it's an absurd rule to try to belittle them and show how much he has far superior Thainess?”

It isn’t only Thailand to which you can add ‘ness’ in this regard, many countries in the region are similarly out of step with what we now call civilization in the West.

“warrior of the keyboard variety “.

Controversy is ‘meat and drink’ to these forums, you are doing your bit, and I expect that it is appreciated no less than mine.

1 hour ago, KhunMhee said:

don't feed the troll!

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

I suppose it is too much to expect you to read what I wrote rather than what people ascribed to me. Post 90 of this very long topic makes you look ridiculous to me.
Let’s just address your points;

“Stop the man in a cool calm manner and take the time to say how this is culturally un acceptable in Thailand?”

I posted here hoping that the farang in question and others who behave like that might read it, many have as you can see. Addressing him in the street is not the thing to do since I would expect him to respond in similar manner to many of his defenders here and that would be upsetting to people around. Thai people pretend to not notice for similar reasons.

“Or just rant on here in hopes of catching posters who either  don't care or think it's an absurd rule to try to belittle them and show how much he has far superior Thainess?”

It isn’t only Thailand to which you can add ‘ness’ in this regard, many countries in the region are similarly out of step with what we now call civilization in the West.

“warrior of the keyboard variety “.

Controversy is ‘meat and drink’ to these forums, you are doing your bit, and I expect that it is appreciated no less than mine.

I took the time to read the post. Was seemingly pointed to the fact someone was culturally unaware of what is accepted. You're hoping that the person happened to be a TV poster? What's the odds on that  betting its well over 1 - 35k. So I don't really buy that, again it looks like you just wanted to show your superior cultural knowledge and make fun of some poor buffoon. That's what brings me to the choice of asking him if he knows what's acceptable or not.  How can one hope to gain any knowledge if no one lets the poor fella know whats accepeted or not?

So this is why one ponders if you're just acting like a keyboard warrior to show un less civilised people your superior knowledge of acceptable Thai culture. Quite honestly I have told people more than once when they do something that's not considered proper in Thailand. More times than not you get a " Oh wow I never knew that thanks ". Try sharing what you know with others. Remember there are two types of people in the world those who do and those who complain about things.

I hope this does not come off as an attack to you. I am being honest and trying to see the thinking behind your actions

Edited by KhunMhee
Off on my figures

5 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

133 posts for a man not wearing a shirt and I tried to ask for some help for my son to goto Australia to be adopted and the post gets removed.

Great world we live in.

No offence bud. Read your post and it was sad to hear that had happened. A few things I never quite understood. Main one being why you gave her 1 million baht to take your son back to look after him. You could have gotten top notch professionals for much less. When I myself read stuff like that it makes me sceptical on giving money. I do wish you luck but after asking people for help one should not flash anger if no one does. Life fact is people choose to help and do as its their right and choice to do so. 

3 minutes ago, KhunMhee said:

No offence bud. Read your post and it was sad to hear that had happened. A few things I never quite understood. Main one being why you gave her 1 million baht to take your son back to look after him. You could have gotten top notch professionals for much less. When I myself read stuff like that it makes me sceptical on giving money. I do wish you luck but after asking people for help one should not flash anger if no one does. Life fact is people choose to help and do as its their right and choice to do so. 

It has been and still is a very difficult situation and I guess a lot of people would not understand unless they are in the same situation. I am 62 and mum is 26. She "dumped" him on me and refused to take him back unless I paid 1 mill. I looked after him alone for 3 months. I applied for his Australian Citizenship to get his passport so he could go back to be adopted. I applied for this in May and has not long come through and I have now applied for his passport. Having a very difficult time with him I paid up and she took him. I thought, wrongly,  this the best alternative with her being his mum. But recently I noticed he had lost a lot of weight due to mum neglecting him. 2 weeks ago I took him back and he has now put on 1kg. He will got Australia for adoption in February.

I have never been a person to go for charity or handouts. Never had one day of the dole or anything like that in Oz. I worked for all my money. As I said in the article I have outlayed over 2 and a half million baht on him and has really made a huge dent in my savings. I saw GoFundMe so I thought I would give it a try. 

Not sure where my anger was flashed but I am not a happy person right now with all that is happening. If you are referring to my above post I just find it amazing the number of postson someone not wearing a shirt and I put on a post and it is removed.

Yes, people can choose what they want to do and donate if they want. I have helped a lot of these people in the past and not even a word from them. Initially no one was even trying to help by sharing the post but that has since changed.

SORRY TO HIJACK THREAD.

• Sad 1

I took the time to read the post. Was seemingly pointed to the fact someone was culturally unaware of what is accepted. You're hoping that the person happened to be a TV poster? What's the odds on that  betting its well over 1 - 35k. So I don't really buy that, again it looks like you just wanted to show your superior cultural knowledge and make fun of some poor buffoon. That's what brings me to the choice of asking him if he knows what's acceptable or not.  How can one hope to gain any knowledge if no one lets the poor fella know whats accepeted or not?

So this is why one ponders if you're just acting like a keyboard warrior to show un less civilised people your superior knowledge of acceptable Thai culture. Quite honestly I have told people more than once when they do something that's not considered proper in Thailand. More times than not you get a " Oh wow I never knew that thanks ". Try sharing what you know with others. Remember there are two types of people in the world those who do and those who complain about things.

I hope this does not come off as an attack to you. I am being honest and trying to see the thinking behind your actions

I had intended to ignore futher posts on this topic but you have upset me.

You call me a liar, I presume that is what “I don’t buy that” means, then say that you are not attacking me! It is quite possible that the person in question would be a reader of this forum or be known to someone who is.

The fact that I have wasted so much time here must prove that I am sincere in what I write, probably one of the few who is sincere. It has nothing to do with superior cultural knowledge for goodness sake, it is just common sense, man. Apparently not very common here though judging my the number of people here who have taken, villagers, joggers, beach goers, historical precedent etc. as examples of dress but who apparently have no idea of the concept of time and place.

For those who still do not understand, if you find yourself to be the only person in the vicinity doing what you are doing then you are likely to attract negative attention.

My post states that I am reporting an exchange between two Thai friends with whom I was sharing a car and that I did not see the man.

If you had read that as you claim to have done, why do you persist, quite reasonably it seems from your point of view, in insisting that I should not have posted but should have approached the person instead?

As I have explained I wouldn’t mention it if I could, I would ignore him. I don’t believe that you have ever approached a total stranger who obviously doesn’t know what is acceptable dress, if he knows what is acceptable dress, that seems like a patronising approach and not likely to be well received in my opinion.

I was at the British Council one evening with an aquaintance who was offended when I pointed out that his jeans were “shot” at the back. I honestly didn’t know that it was fashion to have horizontal tears in worn out jeans.

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:17 PM, Kwasaki said:

Beach is different in villages Thais don't like shirtless male farang/falang or scantily dressed farang/falang women they don't say anything to them as a rule but will just talk among themselves how disrespectful they are. 

Given how disrespectful Thais are towards farangs, why should they care?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I had intended to ignore futher posts on this topic but you have upset me.

You call me a liar, I presume that is what “I don’t buy that” means, then say that you are not attacking me! It is quite possible that the person in question would be a reader of this forum or be known to someone who is.

The fact that I have wasted so much time here must prove that I am sincere in what I write, probably one of the few who is sincere. It has nothing to do with superior cultural knowledge for goodness sake, it is just common sense, man. Apparently not very common here though judging my the number of people here who have taken, villagers, joggers, beach goers, historical precedent etc. as examples of dress but who apparently have no idea of the concept of time and place.

For those who still do not understand, if you find yourself to be the only person in the vicinity doing what you are doing then you are likely to attract negative attention.

My post states that I am reporting an exchange between two Thai friends with whom I was sharing a car and that I did not see the man.

If you had read that as you claim to have done, why do you persist, quite reasonably it seems from your point of view, in insisting that I should not have posted but should have approached the person instead?

As I have explained I wouldn’t mention it if I could, I would ignore him. I don’t believe that you have ever approached a total stranger who obviously doesn’t know what is acceptable dress, if he knows what is acceptable dress, that seems like a patronising approach and not likely to be well received in my opinion.

I was at the British Council one evening with an aquaintance who was offended when I pointed out that his jeans were “shot” at the back. I honestly didn’t know that it was fashion to have horizontal tears in worn out jeans.

Well if you feel I have upset you then there must be a reason for it. On average from the lonely planet figures 32k westerners visit Bangkok. Some fly in to the airports others over land. Being said how you would figure that some person you saw was a poster here is again against the odds and no I don't buy that. Other plain as day reason in the title of this thread. You're showing how terrible everyone other than you is. And rather than take the time to correct someone you're just going to thump your chest and let us all know how far superior you are. Congrats you win you are by far the most culturally aware westerner in Thailand. We all need to bow down to your far superior knowledge. Do you have an escalator to get on and off your horse?:sleep:  

• Haha 2

I've seen a lot of posters on this forum being critical of men wearing shorts. (And in an exceptionally hot and humid climate).

Is there some sort of time warp here?

Is the OP aware that hoop skirts have gone out of fashion for women?

• Haha 1

I've seen a lot of posters on this forum being critical of men wearing shorts. (And in an exceptionally hot and humid climate).

Is there some sort of time warp here?

Is the OP aware that hoop skirts have gone out of fashion for women?

In answer to this post all I can say is that some people have complained about motor cars frightening the horses, are you aware that horse drawn vehicles are no longer as numerous as they once were?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

In answer to this post all I can say is that some people have complained about motor cars frightening the horses, are you aware that horse drawn vehicles are no longer as numerous as they once were?

10 pages later and you still have your knickers up in a knot about how foreigners dress? You need to chill out, grab a cold beer, sit back and wait for the ladies to walk pass wearing a short pair of shorts, tight top and high-heel shoes. Oh yeah babe! 

Happy New Year and I hope in 2018 all foreigners will dress better. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think that the ‘general forum is one for me to avoid. I have suspected for some time that posters don’t read the posts that they appear to be responding to and this finally confirms my suspicions.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

12 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Should tell you enough about humanity. Its a sad world we live in and this forum perfectly reflects that.

Yes. Fully agree. Time for a "reset". Maybe North Korea will start it. 

11 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I think that the ‘general forum is one for me to avoid. I have suspected for some time that posters don’t read the posts that they appear to be responding to and this finally confirms it.

Oh it's not just the general forum.