Unsightly farangs behaving badly.

tgeezer

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

What I posted this simple observation and it has become the vehicle for people to air their predudices and perceived injustices.

The corruption, the inequality, the priviledge of wealth etc. has not 'maimed' me in the same way as it seems to have some of you. I stay here for the winters with people who are equally affected by the state of the country but who somehow do not become deranged by it. They have influenced me and when they comment I take their comments seriously because I think their advice will help me to get what I want, peace and serenity mainly, but also cooperation from Thai people when I need it, I pass them on for your information, that is all.

edit: On reveuing what I had posted I see that I gave the impression that I was airing my own predudice against farang without shirts or wearing underwear. I must apologise, they are my feelings but they are also the feelings of the Thais I know, two of whom I heard commenting on this person’s behaviour. I didn’t see him and would have mentioned that fact had I known that it would have stirred up the ‘I am a better farang than you” crowd.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Started to read, but after the first few words  got a headache and reassigned my priorities.

• Haha 1

What I posted this simple observation and it has become the vehicle for people to air their predudices and perceived injustices. The corruption, the inequality, the priviledge of wealth etc. has not 'maimed' me in the same way as it seems to have some of you. I stay here for the winters with people who are equally affected by the state of the country but who somehow do not become deranged by it. They have influenced me and when they comment I take their comments seriously because I think their advice will help me to get what I want, peace and serenity mainly, but also cooperation from Thai people when I need it, I pass them on for your information, that is all.

edit: On reveuing what I had posted I see that I gave the impression that I was airing my own predudice against farang without shirts or wearing underwear. I must apologise, they are my feelings but they are also the feelings of the Thais I know, two of whom I heard commenting on this person’s behaviour. I didn’t see him and would have mentioned that fact had I known that it would have stirred up the ‘I am a better farang than you” crowd.

And there’s the OP rant which he was ready to use after original post ! Like night follows day

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1

eloquent except for all the spelling errors, typos etc.

I have checked my posts and can only find one spelling mistake ‘distain’ in my first post. I didn’t check my latest post since you didn’t read it!

And irrelevent of course I can be depended on with that word.

34 minutes ago, tgeezer said:

I have checked my posts and can only find one spelling mistake ‘distain’ in my first post. I didn’t check my latest post since you didn’t read it!

Irrelevant.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:29 PM, sanemax said:

Did anything else happen, or is that it ?

Really good question, because it left me hanging too.

Against public decency.  REALLY?   This made me spit out coffee.  

On 12/20/2017 at 8:43 PM, Been there done that said:

Funny how a plenty of foreigners try to uphold high morals and ethics in a nation where lying, thieving, corruption, racism a.o is rife.

Shirtless jeeezzzz

To the point.  Well done.

Edited by Nowisee

1 hour ago, tgeezer said:

Revue.  In fact, it was a cabaret of errors, but there's no point in practicing to become an English teacher at my age.

One point I would highlight, though.  Despite the title, you've never commented on the chap's behaviour, only his attire (or lack thereof) so I assume he was in fact behaving decently and politely, despite being only semi-clad, and, in your opinion, also unsightly. 

I forget what specific aspects of his appearance you found unsightly, but I imagine it was his obviously affluent girth and lack of physical fitness, indicating a life of prosperity and the absence of hardship or menial manual labour.  

SC

15 hours ago, Jools said:

Brilliant observation. A country without any clear moral compass wants to crucify foreigners for going shirtless. Amazing.

Not sure where you got a country wants to crucify foreigners for going shirtless.  At the moment it is just the OP who appears to have a problem. 

Although there been reports of foreigners getting fined for going shirtless.

Not sure where you got a country wants to crucify foreigners for going shirtless.  At the moment it is just the OP who appears to have a problem. 
Although there been reports of foreigners getting fined for going shirtless.

“Although there been reports of foreigners getting fined for going shirtless.” In spite of that you feel that “At the moment it is just the OP who appears to have a problem. “ is appropriate.
Most of you are surrounded by Thai people, ask them.

19 hours ago, digger70 said:

In our village The retired cop and ex headman and a few rubber workers an bull walkers  don't were a shirt must of the time so if it's good for them it's good for farang everybody is same here.

As I said before I don't wear a shirt only shorts around my house area but I wouldn't do that going outside into our village as I like to look respectable for my sake as well as my wife.

If there is anyone in our village that don't wear shirts it's always farangies if they approach me to ask me something like some do, l tell em better you put your shirt in this village because it's a Buddhist village.

Couldn't give a a hoot if they do it elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tgeezer said:

“Although there been reports of foreigners getting fined for going shirtless.” In spite of that you feel that “At the moment it is just the OP who appears to have a problem. “ is appropriate.
Most of you are surrounded by Thai people, ask them.

Plenty of bare chests around my village. Doesn't seem to be a problem when they live and work here. Don't see the same thing in the nearby town agreed.

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

As I said before I don't wear a shirt only shorts around my house area but I wouldn't do that going outside into our village as I like to look respectable for my sake as well as my wife.

If there is anyone in our village that don't wear shirts it's always farangies if they approach me to ask me something like some do, l tell em better you put your shirt in this village because it's a Buddhist village.

Couldn't give a a hoot if they do it elsewhere.

...because its a buddhist village.  Where corruption, lying and cheating a.o. is allowed. But always with a shirt on.

Jeeeezzzzz

6 minutes ago, Been there done that said:

...because its a buddhist village.  Where corruption, lying and cheating a.o. is allowed. But always with a shirt on.

Jeeeezzzzz

Most of the little Buddha statues I’ve got, he’s sat there with his tits hanging out.  Buddha might not be welcome in their village.  Or maybe wandering round with your tee-shirt pulled up over your beer gut, or otherwise displaying your rotundity, is the sole preserve of the truely enlightened

• Thanks 1

I have lived in several rural villages over the years here in Thailand.

It is COMMON for men to walk around with no shirt on.

Some even go to the local village shop in their boxer shorts at night.... and women go in their pyjamas and slippers.

Nothing wrong with it.

However, it would not be appropriate to walk about like that in the shopping malls in the city. 

People who are outraged or otherwise upset when they see a guy bare chested need a reality check.  They are either prudes or snobs, with so little to worry themselves with in their own boring lives they have to create a fuss about nothing and upset other people who are just living normal lives.  

• Like 2

People who are outraged or otherwise upset when they see a guy bare chested need a reality check.  They are either prudes or snobs, with so little to worry themselves with in their own boring lives they have to create a fuss about nothing and upset other people who are just living normal lives.  

Thanks for that, I shall tell them what you think, they may be flattered that you call them snobs, especially the caddies!

Most of the little Buddha statues I’ve got, he’s sat there with his tits hanging out.  Buddha might not be welcome in their village.  Or maybe wandering round with your tee-shirt pulled up over your beer gut, or otherwise displaying your rotundity, is the sole preserve of the truely enlightened

I would be interested to discover the attitude of Thai people to those statues. There, I’ve invited you all to tell me what you think which to you is of course, far more important than what Thais think. When I get home I shall canvass the opinions of immigrants on the British way of life.

5 hours ago, tgeezer said:

Been there done that, maybe you should tell us where you went and what you did so that we can avoid making the same mistake.

No mistakes mate, only observation, understanding the lingo and a critical mind. Best way to know what thais really think is to not let them know you know/understand their language.

So start learning thai. With your shirt on ofcourse.

12 hours ago, Been there done that said:

Jeeeezzzzz

Jeeeezzzzz was a gangster.

By the tone of your posts and replies you seem to have a problem with Buddhist Thailand and the wearing of attire.

I assume you come from a country with no corruption, lying and cheating and which one of the a.o. is allowed abbreviations out of a 100 or so do you mean.

Edited by Kwasaki

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

Jeeeezzzzz was a gangster.

By the tone of your posts and replies you seem to have a problem with Buddhist Thailand and the wearing of attire.

I assume you come from a country with no corruption, lying and cheating and which one of the a.o. is allowed abbreviations out of a 100 or so do you mean.

No and yes.