Unsightly farangs behaving badly.

tgeezer

There was a girl walking down the street in my neighborhood with out a top. I.didn't see but my neighbor and his wife saw her twice.

But then again Thai women never wore tops a hundred years ago.

Edited by Beats56
Spelling

For me, it's more of an aesthetics question. I have no problem with a guy who has a six-pack of abs and built like a Greek god going shirtless, or  women with cute butts wearing short shorts.
It's when I see a man of any nationality parading around with a belly bigger than his chest shirtless, or women with thighs like tree trunks complete with cellulite trying to wear shorts two sizes too small,  that I have to think they are totally unaware of how unappealing they look.

They are not doing it for your benefit.

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

For me, it's more of an aesthetics question. I have no problem with a guy who has a six-pack of abs and built like a Greek god going shirtless, or  women with cute butts wearing short shorts.

It's when I see a man of any nationality parading around with a belly bigger than his chest shirtless, or women with thighs like tree trunks complete with cellulite trying to wear shorts two sizes too small,  that I have to think they are totally unaware of how unappealing they look.

And you are a Greek god?

20 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Beach is different in villages Thais don't like shirtless male farang/falang or scantily dressed farang/falang women they don't say anything to them as a rule but will just talk among themselves how disrespectful they are. 

In our village The retired cop and ex headman and a few rubber workers an bull walkers  don't were a shirt must of the time so if it's good for them it's good for farang everybody is same here.

22 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

Guess you haven't perused the POTY thread.:sorry:

At least there's no Thai-bashing there, makes a refreshing change.

Oh, and I forgot, vote Colin for POTY!

Edited by grollies

4 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Spot on!

Also, nitpicking about the slightest bit of misbehavior that a foreigner makes, and then they ( the expats) are all on TV screaming about ' banning them for life ' etc ' throw them in jail ' and what is and isn't ' against the laws '  of Thailand., implying that Thailand is some great people and culture far superior to any other!

A country where you can run over a kill a policeman but if you have the cash and a family name you are exempt from the justice system. A country where their top policemen can visit another country such as Japan, with a gun and bullets in his luggage and get away with it because of his position. A country where high ranking officials get caught, whilst visiting other countries stealing pictures from hotels, then pulls rank and political favors to escape justice when they are caught.A country where the second in command is flashing watches off costing millions and millions of baht but never declared these assets, a crime others would lose everything for and have their assets seized. A country where it is almost a hobby and foreigners can be cheated out of all their assets by people supposed to be respected, in high legal positions complicit in this type of corruption. Finally, a country where two foreign men can be scapegoated and convicted of murder and given the death sentence when it is an ' open secret ' that they are innocent.

But let's give this foreigner ten lashes, throw him in IDC and ban him for life for going shirtless!..... Pathetic!

I normally disagree with people reacting to threads by telling someone to go home.

It smacks of intolerance of others views of Thailand and, whilst this country is far from perfect, the people, customs, weather, other farangs, etc make it a great place to live.

An intelligent post will usually be balanced with pluses as well as criticisms.

Yours however is just a list of bile-ridden hatred of Thailand, so, here goes......

Why, if you hate it here so much, don't you go home? (if you do indeed live here?).

Nice post chap.

Much ado about nothing. 

If you don't like what you see, look the other way and enjoy the rest of your day. 

Life's too short to worry about what other people are/aren't doing. 

5 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Spot on!

Also, nitpicking about the slightest bit of misbehavior that a foreigner makes, and then they ( the expats) are all on TV screaming about ' banning them for life ' etc ' throw them in jail ' and what is and isn't ' against the laws '  of Thailand., implying that Thailand is some great people and culture far superior to any other!

A country where you can run over a kill a policeman but if you have the cash and a family name you are exempt from the justice system. A country where their top policemen can visit another country such as Japan, with a gun and bullets in his luggage and get away with it because of his position. A country where high ranking officials get caught, whilst visiting other countries stealing pictures from hotels, then pulls rank and political favors to escape justice when they are caught.A country where the second in command is flashing watches off costing millions and millions of baht but never declared these assets, a crime others would lose everything for and have their assets seized. A country where it is almost a hobby and foreigners can be cheated out of all their assets by people supposed to be respected, in high legal positions complicit in this type of corruption. Finally, a country where two foreign men can be scapegoated and convicted of murder and given the death sentence when it is an ' open secret ' that they are innocent.

But let's give this foreigner ten lashes, throw him in IDC and ban him for life for going shirtless!..... Pathetic!

Brilliant observation. A country without any clear moral compass wants to crucify foreigners for going shirtless. Amazing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I normally disagree with people reacting to threads by telling someone to go home.

It smacks of intolerance of others views of Thailand and, whilst this country is far from perfect, the people, customs, weather, other farangs, etc make it a great place to live.

An intelligent post will usually be balanced with pluses as well as criticisms.

Yours however is just a list of bile-ridden hatred of Thailand, so, here goes......

Why, if you hate it here so much, don't you go home? (if you do indeed live here?).

Nice post chap.

Nonsense,

Bile ridden hatred?? Not at all. Neither does it ' smack of intolerance '

However, I am realistic and see further than my nose end. It is a true reflection of the state of affairs in Thailand.

I don't live in some cuckoo land praising Thailand and criticising foreigners as though I am some kind of adopted or Pseudo Thai.I also speak as I find and look at the whole picture.

In addition I have seen plenty over the last 23 years, good and bad and have mentioned in many posts in support of Thailand.You show me any points in my post that are untrue?

One thing that you did get right, it's not your place to tell me or anyone else to go home!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

Nonsense,

Bile ridden hatred?? Not at all. Neither does it ' smack of intolerance '

However, I am realistic and see further than my nose end. It is a true reflection of the state of affairs in Thailand.

I don't live in some cuckoo land praising Thailand and criticising foreigners as though I am some kind of adopted or Pseudo Thai.I also speak as I find and look at the whole picture.

In addition I have seen plenty over the last 23 years, good and bad and have mentioned in many posts in support of Thailand.You show me any points in my post that are untrue?

One thing that you did get right, it's not your place to tell me or anyone else to go home!!

So where's the balanced opinion then? 23 years, big deal, surprised you lasted here that long, well done.

On 12/20/2017 at 7:52 PM, torrzent said:

Lots of people working out and jogging with no shirts on.  Also lots at the beach with no shirt on.  Is that not permitted?  What are the exact rules and regulations?

beaches are a grey zone... you can smoke on the footpath, but not on the beach beside the footpath

apply that in reverse for t shirt wearing.

that said.... t shirt, no t shirt... I don’t care. Unless the exposed body is fat and unattractive.... was that the real problem?.

Personally, I keep my guts covered from the shame of it... stopping with the beer might remove the shame.... but a shirt covers it just fine, thanks

now regards offending thais and relating that to any form of law.... lmao... they don’t care about the law unless it suits them. 

They give road law the middle finger, happily  killing tens of thousands every year, but conversely see a problem with a person not wearing a t shirt.

right there is a classic example of what’s wrong with this society.

• Like 1

Since it's so important for Thais and other purveyors of "decency" to wear a shirt in public, why do you reckon Thais born with thick, fur-like body hair were not naturally selected in Thai culture over the millennia?

Since Thai streets are filled with stray animals that have the same genitals and nipples as the Great Apes called humans - farang and Thai - why is the police not sent out to put shirts and shorts on at least the dogs with very large, hanging testicles to guard public decency?

In this climate and population density, the only real threat from walking around completely naked is the accidental spread of infectious diseases via contact with various public surfaces.

Yet, Thais, not to mention farangs, go about without a mask while coughing/sneezing  cold and flu 1-3 meters around, that actually can be fatal to some, without feeling any concern for the feelings or health of others, not to mention public decency.

Why does the Thai culture not build enough public toilets, so that "public decency" or Thai feelings are not hurt by so many Thais I see urinating on the streets?

Isn't all this concern over "public decency" and hurt feelings by someone walking around shirtless just the result of societal brainwashing of the ignorant by the ignorant for the ignorant?

On ‎12‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 7:29 PM, sanemax said:

Did anything else happen, or is that it ?

No, I think that was it. Remarkable hey? Just remarkable.

So remarkable the guy started a topic about it on an Expat Thai forum.

And I wasted 2 minutes of my time reading it and writing this reply...

Remarkable.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mikiea said:

nope , thats it , dude was  WWOS ,  plain as day .....(walking with out shirt)

And he was unsightly, in the option of the OP.  He should’ve asked the fella’s mother for a second opinion on that.

Personally, I’m not one for walking round the high street or the shopping centres or the office stripped down to my boxers like I do at home, and if one of my staff came in like that I’d explain “We don’t do that round here; I’m not saying it’s wrong, but we don’t do that, regardless of what goes on in Contracts & Commercial on the 8th floor”.  We all have our own standards, and it is not our job to force our standards on others

• Like 1

Going around shirtless on the wheel, can get one into trouble with the BiB as apparently it is illegal in Thailand to drive without a shirt ?.(correct me if I am wrong ? )

But then what can we say in France for instance ?...until a few years ago, it was illegal under an archiac law for parisian women to wear pants or trousers unless they were riding a horse or a bike !!:cheesy:....and what about Switzerland where the cops still are called and will fine you at home if you put on your teley to loud after 10pm !...and so on...

Just google worlds dumbest laws and one can see that Thailand is far from having the strangest ones around.  The point however is that the crazy laws are not enforced the same, from one place to another !!

Edit: and sorry to stroll a bit off topic.

Edited by observer90210

1 minute ago, observer90210 said:

Going around shirtless on the wheel, can get one into trouble with the BiB as apparently it is illegal in Thailand to drive without a shirt ?.(correct me if I am wrong ? )

But then what can we say in France for instance ?...until a few years ago, it was illegal under an archiac law for parisian women to wear pants or trousers unless they were riding a horse or a bike !!:cheesy:....and what about Switzerland where the cops still are called and will fine you at home if you put on your teley to loud after 10pm !...and so on...

Just google worlds dumbest laws and one can see that Thailand is far from having the strangest ones around.  The point however is that the crazy laws are not enforced the same, from one place to another !!

There was never any question of whether the chap in question was breaching the law.  The point is that he was offending the OP’s sensibilities, and apparently we should not do that.  If I thought he drank in Sid’s, I would doff my shirt now, by way of example.

• Like 1

I wonder how many people the OP has offended with his particular dress code, and also why he he is so worried about whingeing about others.  Maybe he should be more concerned with how others perceive him rather than being so judgemental.

What I posted this simple observation and it has become the vehicle for people to air their predudices and perceived injustices.

The corruption, the inequality, the priviledge of wealth etc. has not 'maimed' me in the same way as it seems to have some of you. I stay here for the winters with people who are equally affected by the state of the country but who somehow do not become deranged by it. They have influenced me and when they comment I take their comments seriously because I think their advice will help me to get what I want, peace and serenity mainly, but also cooperation from Thai people when I need it, I pass them on for your information, that is all.

edit: On reveuing what I had posted I see that I gave the impression that I was airing my own predudice against farang without shirts or wearing underwear. I must apologise, they are my feelings but they are also the feelings of the Thais I know, two of whom I heard commenting on this person’s behaviour. I didn’t see him and would have mentioned that fact had I known that it would have stirred up the ‘I am a better farang than you” crowd.

• Like 1