Unsightly farangs behaving badly.

tgeezer

I was in church one time and a topless girl walked in just as the priest was giving his sermon. He said to her "you can't come in here dressed like that". She said "but I have a divine right". The priest said "you have a divine left too but you still can't come in here dressed like that".

God bless Tommy Cooper

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, tgeezer said:

“...in a nation where lying, thieving, corruption, racism a.o is rife. “.
If you speak from experience and object to these things perhaps you should consider taking my post more seriously.

Do you not see the irony in accusing all Thai people of racism?

“Shirtless jeeezzzz”

You reap what you sow.

I better buy a shirt then.

I play Snooker at a very nice club, I am constantly challenged by people who want to play and beat the Falang.   it may be hot but it never ceases to amaze me how many have there shirts/ Tshirts pulled up to their necks. Ugly, sure is. Just take it off if its that hot.

9 minutes ago, wijipa said:

I play Snooker at a very nice club, I am constantly challenged by people who want to play and beat the Falang.   it may be hot but it never ceases to amaze me how many have there shirts/ Tshirts pulled up to their necks. Ugly, sure is. Just take it off if its that hot.

Are you Jimmy White in real life perhaps ?

Back to this nonsense again.  Get out into the country dear chap and you will see many shirtless Thai men in the villages.  Walk around in Chiang Mai with your eyes actually open, and you occasionally see shirtless Thai guys in the city too.
And study history.

The picture below was reality up until 1942.  The adoption of 'modest' Western dress was a government mandate, which did not reflect 'Thai culture.'  Thai cultural dress is represented on the left - mandated Western dress is on the right.  Even women were still going topless in the 1950 and 1960 considering that many villages were only accessible by dirt roads and ox carts unless the village was next to a rail line.  This is verifiable if your Thai is good enough and you take the time to talk to people older than 55 in rural villages. 

So, this concept of shirtless being a cultural norm is nonsense.  It is still a government mandate and one that is not uniformly followed by Thais.  The further you get from cities, the more likely you'll be to find shirtless Thai men.  Unfortunately, all the ladies in the villages cover up nowadays.  Well, unless you trek out to remote Hill Tribe country.  Women are still uncovered.  The more remote the villages, the more likely you'll find that dress doesn't fit the mandated Western norms imposed on Thai society and culture. 

What is probably more interesting are the number of puritanical Westerns living in Thailand who find the human body offensive.  That's what this is really all about: Westerners projecting their own overly moralistic values and claiming that their own moralistic perspectives are in fact Thai culture.
Government mandated? True.
Thai culture? Not so.
5a3b3ef03900d_Screenshotfrom2017-12-21115543.png.795971f78aa32104c5c222cf63792899.png

Edited by connda

Hmm, some are easily offended. We had one local farang who frequently berated others on the local forum for their casual dress, According to him, if in public all farang should wear long trousers, shoes, socks and button up shirts. Didn't mention ties, bowler hats and umbrellas though, 

Yes, we see plenty of shirtless thais, and ones in shorts. Not all poverty stricken either. Must say, we do not get many shirtless farangs, but do get quite a few in tank tops (shows off their tattoos better).

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, tgeezer said:

I have seen Chinese shopkeepers sweeping up the pavement outside their shops without shirts on around here, I presume that like the man you saw he knows the form. Going shirtless was Thai culture for people who couldn't afford many clothes especially in the countryside working the fields.

Not only for those who couldn't afford many clothes. Thai history records accounts of KINGS in their throne rooms, completely shirtless.  WIthout  air conditioning or electric fans, wearing lots of clothes was begging to be very uncomfortable.

I think in summation we can conclude that men of various nationalities and races do sometimes appear in public without their shirts on and that many of them should not.

Apparently this shocks and offends some people and titillates others. Many people come to Thailand with the express purpose of being titillated while others spend their time searching far and wide for reasons to be offended by everything and anything. 

One possible solution for everyone to assuage all this angst, especially at this time of the year ... ho, ho ho.

spiked-egg-nog-.png.5c5fb83f9cef9327fc34cfbcecadd939.png

For me, it's more of an aesthetics question. I have no problem with a guy who has a six-pack of abs and built like a Greek god going shirtless, or  women with cute butts wearing short shorts.

It's when I see a man of any nationality parading around with a belly bigger than his chest shirtless, or women with thighs like tree trunks complete with cellulite trying to wear shorts two sizes too small,  that I have to think they are totally unaware of how unappealing they look.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

For me, it's more of an aesthetics question. I have no problem with a guy who has a six-pack of abs and built like a Greek god going shirtless, or  women with cute butts wearing short shorts.

It's when I see a man of any nationality parading around with a belly bigger than his chest shirtless, or women with thighs like tree trunks complete with cellulite trying to wear shorts two sizes too small,  that I have to think they are totally unaware of how unappealing they look.

Perhaps they don't care what YOU think and want to do what THEY think in their world..:stoner: