Trump threatens to cut aid to U.N. members over Jerusalem vote

webfact

1 hour ago, ezzra said:

Just so you know, the US has enough of it's oil and even export some out,

beside, the UN is a dinosaur that it's time and relevancy has passed,

if they want the 500 million dollars the US contribute every year, don't

vote against them, as they say, the man with the money is the man

with the powers, ask any billionaire....

If the UN is irrelevant, why does the USA keep funding it, and why does Trump make such a big deal of the vote?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doggie1955 said:

What America needs to do is pull out of the U.N. and move the U.N. to a different country.

The presence of the UN in country is worth about 4 billion dollars annually and provides thousands of jobs for Americans.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

The UN member countries are free to vote how they wish. The US is free to place it's embassies where it wants.

Similarly the US, and other aid providing countries, are free to decide who to giver their money and help to and who not.

Too many nations have been greedily grabbing any aid available, and not always spending it wisely whilst slagging off the generous givers or even worse conspiring against them and facilitating terrorism.

Dopey old UK gives millions to Pakistan. And Pakistan, that hotbed of terrorism and muslim radicalisation goes off and buys Chinese fighter jets. 

Time the liberalized Western developed nations woke up.

Nothing to do with my comment.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

46 minutes ago, Morch said:

If the OP was standard behavior and practice for the USA and POTUS, it wouldn't have made much of a story or a headline. That it does, indicates that this too, is a deviation from how things used to get done. Trying to paint it as if the OP reflects or applies as a general statement on USA diplomacy is misleading.

Wrong, this is all a rerun of Bush the Younger's years.

This has been a really great debate on here. 

My twopenn'orth: 

1) The US is way behind with its payments to the UN and owes billions of dollars, despite the economy benefitting by about $5 billion a year by having the UN in NYC

2) Aid is many things, but all to often support for NGOs to undermine the stability of government's the US doesn't like anyway; soft loans to buy US military hardware

3) US aid is a tiny fraction of GDP, much smaller than many other countries....$25 billion this year from a $20 trillion GDP.

4) the biggest single recipient of US aid is Israel at over $4 billion...most of it military aid.

5) the second biggest is Egypt, where the aid is given illegally under US law which states that military aid may not be given to perpetrators of a military coup.

A commenter above demonstrated the difference between no-strings attached Chinese aid which builds hospitals and port and the like in Africa in return for access to natural resources, and Aid from the US which is often military in nature (soft loans to buy US guns and bombs) and often has strings with human rights and the like.

I would request the UN make the vote a secret ballot.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mercman24 said:

those oil rich arab states should counter by  threatening to blockade oil supplies to the USA that would bring this country to its knees in one month, once again this loud mouthed bully has opened his gob without thinking this out ha ha , go on , do it , ?? he will be shitting his pants

Yup, that will do it.  555

United States remained the world's top producer of petroleum and natural gas hydrocarbons in 2015, according to U.S. Energy Information Administration estimates. U.S. petroleum and natural gas production first surpassed Russia in 2012, and the United States has been the world's top producer of natural gas since 2011 and the world's top producer of petroleum hydrocarbons since 2013.

For the United States and Russia, total petroleum and natural gas hydrocarbon production, in energy content terms, is almost evenly split between petroleum and natural gas. Saudi Arabia's production, on the other hand, heavily favors petroleum. Total petroleum production is made up of several different types of liquid fuels, including crude oil and lease condensate, tight oil, extra-heavy oil, and bitumen. In addition, various processes produce natural gas plant liquids (NGPL), biofuels, and refinery processing gain, among other possible liquid fuels.

In the United States, crude oil and lease condensate accounted for roughly 60% of the total petroleum hydrocarbon production in 2015. An additional 20% of the U.S. production was natural gas plant liquids. Biofuels and refinery processing gain make up most of the remaining U.S. petroleum and other liquids production volumes

7 minutes ago, Andaman Al said:

Because the fighter jets from the 'dopey old UK' are a) Too expensive and b ) The UK has an extensive military aircraft program with India, which the Indians will stop if the UK supplies any of this hardware to Pakistan. The only 4th/5th generation aircraft that Pakistan can buy are Russia and China and even Russia is now almost off the list due to the Indians buying so much Russian armour.

Pakistan has always bought fighter planes from Europe and the USA (and a few Chinese). They have not bought British in decades.

India buys it's fighter planes mainly from Russia with a few French and British. The UK does not have an extensive military program with India.

35 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

Pakistan has always bought fighter planes from Europe and the USA (and a few Chinese). They have not bought British in decades.

India buys it's fighter planes mainly from Russia with a few French and British. The UK does not have an extensive military program with India.

Tsk tsk, learn to read. I said "The UK has an extensive military aircraft PROGRAM  with India".  Not only do we still have over 100 of our fast jet trainer aircraft there, they are still built under licence there, and maybe the young pilots I taught to fly fast jets and move on to the Mig 29 and SU 30 were not Indian Air Force or maybe I forgot and am not British? I know EXACTLY what Pakistan will buy and what they wanted to buy and the prices of all candidates and specs AND the politics at play, because one of my companies is involved in discussions to supply the logistics for them. I also know exactly what the UK are 'desirable of doing' and what they will and will not do if it means bringing any jeopardy to the long term potential programs.  "Googleilligence" isn't all it is made out to be, and instead of addressing the points in my post that relate to Trump and the UN, you try to be yet another internet expert on everything - yet nothing.