A Pattaya hotel cashier nabbed for stealing a guest’s debit card

webfact

3 hours ago, Brigante7 said:

It's not defamation if it is the truth. 

Brigante7.

your not necessarily In the clear even if it is the truth

"Even if a defendant is able to prove the truth of his statements, he may not be absolved of liability. This is because a defendant may also be required to prove to the satisfaction of the court that the allegedly defamatory statements were substantially justified, even if true. "

Edited by midas

If you mean overseas Debit Cards don't work in Thailand, they do...mine have the same security features as my Credit Card but of course if someone accepts it without a PIN or signature that goes to hell! And, if using it online, as [mention=22069]TunnelRat69[/mention] said "debit cards don't have the same protections built in as credit cards,......"  "Debit Cards + Pattaya = Danger" 

I agree on the safety aspect, which I why I posted #26 and only top up what i need. I see it as maximum convenience but with less risk. YMMV
I'm saying the implementation is very poor. That's why I always disable my debit card limit to 0 because once it's stolen or lost, you need to report and block is ASAP.

15 minutes ago, shady86 said:
4 hours ago, VBF said:
If you mean overseas Debit Cards don't work in Thailand, they do...mine have the same security features as my Credit Card but of course if someone accepts it without a PIN or signature that goes to hell! And, if using it online, as [mention=22069]TunnelRat69[/mention] said "debit cards don't have the same protections built in as credit cards,......"  "Debit Cards + Pattaya = Danger" 

I agree on the safety aspect, which I why I posted #26 and only top up what i need. I see it as maximum convenience but with less risk. YMMV

I'm saying the implementation is very poor. That's why I always disable my debit card limit to 0 because once it's stolen or lost, you need to report and block is ASAP.

That bit I agree with! Just out of interest, if you're going to disable your card limit to 0, wouldn't it be easier to just not bring it? I can't quite see the logic in carrying a useless card, unless of course you can log on and enable it again whilst you're travelling. I usually leave mine locked away whereas in UK I tend to carry them.   Curiosity is all.....:huh:

That bit I agree with! Just out of interest, if you're going to disable your card limit to 0, wouldn't it be easier to just not bring it? I can't quite see the logic in carrying a useless card, unless of course you can log on and enable it again whilst you're travelling. I usually leave mine locked away whereas in UK I tend to carry them.   Curiosity is all.....:huh:
Actually I don't need debit card function at all but most Atm cash cards from Thailand banks comes with debit card function so of you don't need it, you need to set the limit to 0 for purchases when you got it. I also noticed same thing for atm cards issued in Singapore and Malaysia so you don't really have a option for just an "Atm" card now. However implementation in Singapore and Malaysia is better because pin code is needed for offline transactions and online there will be a pin code sent to your mobile for verification. I have credit cards so debit card is pretty much useless for me.

12 hours ago, VBF said:

https://www.starlingbank.com/travel/ can be blocked and unblocked immediately within the App and has no forex nor ATM fee.

4 hours ago, shady86 said:
17 hours ago, VBF said:

Actually I don't need debit card function at all but most Atm cash cards from Thailand banks comes with debit card function so of you don't need it, you need to set the limit to 0 for purchases when you got it. I also noticed same thing for atm cards issued in Singapore and Malaysia so you don't really have a option for just an "Atm" card now. However implementation in Singapore and Malaysia is better because pin code is needed for offline transactions and online there will be a pin code sent to your mobile for verification. I have credit cards so debit card is pretty much useless for me.

Thank you.

I'm the same - i shall have to check the limits on my SCB "HIP" card because I do carry that around when I'm in Thailand. Having said that, despite it allegedly being a MasterCard,  I've never been able to use it for online purchases unless I link a vendor to it - eg I can top up my AIS phone because I've added it to my account. I shall go into SCB and ask when I arrive next month.....

Edited by VBF

18 hours ago, VBF said:

Now THAT looks interesting. Do you use it regularly @KneeDeep?

Nope. I have other resources.I utilise only credit cards when I travel.

Starling Bank has good feedback.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts. After a while most accounts chose to levy fees for ATM withdrawals abroad, as it is relatively expensive for them.

For now, Starling has no charges.

It's rival, Monzo, is introducing a 3% charge. on ATM withdrawals abroad. https://monzo.com/blog/2017/12/15/atm-fees-january/ Not good at all.

https://loot.io  is a good alternative or for a back-up. Though Starling pips it at the mo. 

http://support.loot.io/going-abroad/can-i-use-my-loot-card-abroad

http://support.loot.io/loot/what-are-your-fees-and-limits

6 hours ago, KneeDeep said:

Nope. I have other resources.I utilise only credit cards when I travel.

Starling Bank has good feedback.

Enjoy it whilst it lasts. After a while most accounts chose to levy fees for ATM withdrawals abroad, as it is relatively expensive for them.

For now, Starling has no charges.

It's rival, Monzo, is introducing a 3% charge. on ATM withdrawals abroad. https://monzo.com/blog/2017/12/15/atm-fees-january/ Not good at all.

https://loot.io  is a good alternative or for a back-up. Though Starling pips it at the mo. 

http://support.loot.io/going-abroad/can-i-use-my-loot-card-abroad

http://support.loot.io/loot/what-are-your-fees-and-limits

Thank you. Same as you, but always useful to have options.  :thumbsup:

When I go to Big C with my new Kasikorn debit card , they never ask for pin, and no signature, its all registered automatic. If someone steal it it could turn into a big problem.

• 1 month later...
On 23/12/2017 at 8:42 AM, VBF said:

Thank you.

I'm the same - i shall have to check the limits on my SCB "HIP" card because I do carry that around when I'm in Thailand. Having said that, despite it allegedly being a MasterCard,  I've never been able to use it for online purchases unless I link a vendor to it - eg I can top up my AIS phone because I've added it to my account. I shall go into SCB and ask when I arrive next month.....

Updating my own comment, as I said i would:

Went to my SCB branch today and asked the relevant questions:

Despite it having the MasterCard logo on it, it's allegedly a Debit Card not a Credit card, so I cannot use it online but could use it in retail outlets. (My UK-issued Credit and Debit cards can all be used online so the answer doesn't make that much sense!)

So I was offered a Chip&Pin card but as I only ever use it to get cash out of my SCB account and top up my Thai telephone, I declined that on the grounds that as I have just the facility I need, I'm taking the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach.

On ‎12‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:30 PM, wgdanson said:

Isn't it crazy that all a debit card purchase needs is ANY signature, no PIN, no ID, nothing. I shop at Big C as M Mouse with my Bangkok Bank card.

yeah.  that is why even in the USA I don't use my debit card for much.  It just doesn't have many protections.  I use my credit card because I get the cash back, points, freebies, etc.  And in the checking account my debit card is linked to, I certainly don't keep 500k baht or $16,000 USD.  I move money from my savings or money market accounts that do not have debit cards over to the checking account as needed. 

This girl sure did a lot of shopping.   But, I would raise an eyebrow about some complicity or collusion here.  Sure has the looks of a possible setup.

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 7:10 AM, balo said:

When I go to Big C with my new Kasikorn debit card , they never ask for pin, and no signature, its all registered automatic. If someone steal it it could turn into a big problem.

Even when they ask for signature, they rarely check the signature or compare it with the signature in your passport or on your home country ID, or driver license.  Same here in the states. Debit cards are literally open season

Oh well,  at least the farang or caucasian  will take possession of the used Honda  car , bike (worthless)  and gold jewelry-  that might be worth something.  I am assuming the cops wont seize the items as evidence  on the never never system. Might not get much for the Honda anyway. New cars are selling at throw away prices in Bangkok at the moment.